U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2010, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Montgomery Village, MD
516 posts, read 1,197,217 times
Reputation: 233

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
You condone abortions, there is no "degree of guilt".

I suggest you ease away from the politisized rhetoric like "pro-abortion", as politicizing ANY concern diminishes that important issue and using slogans identifies you with the radicals of that movement.



Abortions are a personal matter. They are matter between the woman and her god (if any), her doctor, her spouse (if she chooses), and/or herself alone.

It is not a matter for government to determine.

Choice is also key as it brings the issue into the limelight where targeted education can effect the numbers of abortions posively (as in lowering those nubmers to pre-1973 numbers).

ANY concern driven underground looses that option, as history plainly shows. AIDs in the US, for example, wouldn't see anywhere near the number of victims had the GLBT community not still been driven undergound in the 1960's

Targeted Education has helped lower the abortion numbers from it's height of app 1,577,200 in 1984 to some 1.2 million last year. And guess what, abstinence only programs and appeals to emotion had nothing to do with it.

Women have a choice. Women can opt not to have abortions. No one is forcing women to have abortions. However, removal of choice IS forcing all women who do not wish to have a child, or more chldren, ( andwho also do not persue illegal venues) to bear children against their will.
No. That's incorrect. I don't condone abortion in the least. I said there is a part of me that can understand it.. Just because I understand it doesn't mean I condone it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2010, 05:03 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,501,652 times
Reputation: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
Huh?
You don't believe my almost story.. oh that's nice? lol I don't know what I can do to "prove it" to you.. since it's the internet and all but I can tell you it's very true. I was slated to go to university, my fiance (now husband) and I found out I was pregnant shortly after I graduated high school. We had firmly decided to have an abortion, we told my mom. I started having very bad pains in my ovary area and I went to a Catholic hospital. I told them my intent was to have an abortion and that they could do whatever they wanted to get the pain to go away. I was informed I had a cyst on my ovary that was leaking which was causing the pain. While they did the ultrasound to see that, I looked at it and told my fiance that I couldn't have an abortion.

Later on in the pregnancy we found out I had a very heightened risk for Trisomy 18... again kind of facing the "what ifs" and had decided that we would not have an abortion if that were the case.. thankfully the test was incorrect and we now have a brilliant four year old. Subsequently having another child who is two also.

Believe it or not, whatever.
Why I would make that up for a message board I'm not so sure.
That's why personal experience doesn't count in debates. Its subjective and therefore, not credible. Now, had you utilized through out your posts, any of them, any supporting data then it could be taken into consideration. But you haven't. In fact, you have operated on the what is true for one must be true for all. I don't believe you. So, the personal experience that you claim is pretty much invalid and not to be taken seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Montgomery Village, MD
516 posts, read 1,197,217 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
That's why personal experience doesn't count in debates. Its subjective and therefore, not credible. Now, had you utilized through out your posts, any of them, any supporting data then it could be taken into consideration. But you haven't. In fact, you have operated on the what is true for one must be true for all. I don't believe you. So, the personal experience that you claim is pretty much invalid and not to be taken seriously.

I'm not interested in sharing my story to 'win' debates, so basically, you took it to a personal level of basically attempting to say I'm a liar.. so... that means this debate is over for me. Thanks for playing, next time try not to sound like such a jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 05:39 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,501,652 times
Reputation: 1846
I'm not attempting. I'm saying it.

Next time, bring more to the table then the *what's true for one is true for all* and you won't feel so wounded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Montgomery Village, MD
516 posts, read 1,197,217 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I'm not attempting. I'm saying it.

Next time, bring more to the table then the *what's true for one is true for all* and you won't feel so wounded.

And you are wrong. Yay for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 06:32 PM
 
46 posts, read 89,001 times
Reputation: 21
Something that I see that gets brought up in abortion debates a alot is.."If you aren't ready to have a kid don't have sex".

I do not want children. Not ever. I am doing everything short of not having sex with my soon to be husband to avoid getting pregnant.

But if my multiple methods of birth control failed (not likely, but it COULD happen). Off to the abortion clinic I will go.

I know I know, why don't I get sterilized? The doctors who will sterilize a 22 year old woman who's not had any children are very few and far between.

In fact, I know a woman who was told by multiple doctors that carrying a baby to term WOULD kill her. And yet, she STILL could not find a doctor that would sterilize her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 06:54 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,501,652 times
Reputation: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by definingsilence View Post
Something that I see that gets brought up in abortion debates a alot is.."If you aren't ready to have a kid don't have sex".

I do not want children. Not ever. I am doing everything short of not having sex with my soon to be husband to avoid getting pregnant.

But if my multiple methods of birth control failed (not likely, but it COULD happen). Off to the abortion clinic I will go.

I know I know, why don't I get sterilized? The doctors who will sterilize a 22 year old woman who's not had any children are very few and far between.

In fact, I know a woman who was told by multiple doctors that carrying a baby to term WOULD kill her. And yet, she STILL could not find a doctor that would sterilize her.
Check here: tubal ligation, sterilization: Tubal Ligation Pages - doctors and clinics providing permanent female sterilization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 07:26 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,675,719 times
Reputation: 1661
Default Oh, not just 22 year old women

Quote:
Originally Posted by definingsilence View Post
Something that I see that gets brought up in abortion debates a alot is.."If you aren't ready to have a kid don't have sex".

I do not want children. Not ever. I am doing everything short of not having sex with my soon to be husband to avoid getting pregnant.

But if my multiple methods of birth control failed (not likely, but it COULD happen). Off to the abortion clinic I will go.

I know I know, why don't I get sterilized? The doctors who will sterilize a 22 year old woman who's not had any children are very few and far between.

In fact, I know a woman who was told by multiple doctors that carrying a baby to term WOULD kill her. And yet, she STILL could not find a doctor that would sterilize her.
Try a 35 year old married man with 2 children. We didn't want any MORE. We had to listen to a lecture. "Have you really thought about this?" Yeah, like when we fist got married 10 year ago. "What would you do if your children were killed in an accident?" Be childless. Like you cannot replace a child like going out and getting a kitten or a puppy. Endless questions. 24 hour waiting period. I had to sign my consent for my husband's surgery. Hello? What are we a couple of idiots? That is how I felt. I even told that doctor that. He must have been Christian. I don't know or care. All I know is that I was very MAD, as a wife, woman, and MOTHER about this attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 01:33 AM
 
4,529 posts, read 4,748,040 times
Reputation: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
No. That's incorrect. I don't condone abortion in the least. I said there is a part of me that can understand it.. Just because I understand it doesn't mean I condone it.
You are either for or against, according to the mentality of the anti-choice crowd.

Take it up with your peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top