Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:08 PM

39 posts, read 285,104 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am asking this question for curiosity but at the same time because I need some good insights and direction on life as well.
In this world of 6.8 billion people, everyone faces his/her own unique obstacles/challenges in life. Some pretty hard, some not so bad. When we were born in this world, we didn't ask to be born in which country, what type of family and environment and what genetic makeup.
What I found in my life is that there is no certainty and gaurantee in life. Even for someone with seemingly perfect and fantastic life, their entire life and legacy can be ruined by one bad mistake. My personal motto to myself is that, "There is no guarantee in life. I may never achieve my ambitions/dreams no matter how hard I try. I may go through hardships all the way to my death. BUT, my hard work and everyday effort to live everyday like it is my last will never change. That will always be constant."

I guess what I want to ask you guys is this. What motivates you to keep living through hardships in your life when you feel like, "Why do I have to put up with life that is this painful, miserable, enduring, challenging and takes so much energy each day to push through all the pains, discomforts, and sufferings?"?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 02:01 PM

324 posts, read 573,728 times
The motivation: View life as a see-saw. Sometimes we are up, other times down. That seems to be the inevitable cycle. As we grow older and more experienced(!), we are able to eliminate some of those downs, as for their extent and frequency.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I wake up every day enduring insufficient pain to inspire me to end it. A mere 100 years from now, the fact that I continue to exist a few more years will have absolutely no relevance at all to anybody, least of all myself.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I wake up every day enduring insufficient pain to inspire me to end it. A mere 100 years from now, the fact that I continue to exist a few more years will have absolutely no relevance at all to anybody, least of all myself.
Excellent post, and it's exactly how I feel.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:55 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
For me, its my son.

If you ask most people around the world what makes life worth living, most of them answer, family and friends. Most people only want to be able to raise their kids in a world they deem safe, in a way that they are morally comfortable with.

When we can learn that other peoples morality doesn't effect our own, then we'll be much better off.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Inertia, loved ones, enough experience to know that most hard times are survivable and get better.

I have family that have been gone more than 100 years and their lives - their stories -matter to me.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:37 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesinging1 View Post
I guess what I want to ask you guys is this. What motivates you to keep living through hardships in your life when you feel like, "Why do I have to put up with life that is this painful, miserable, enduring, challenging and takes so much energy each day to push through all the pains, discomforts, and sufferings?"?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Because the alternative is to be dead and experience nothing. As bad as things have ever been for me I at least knew that I would add that situation to my body of knowledge

Old 01-10-2010, 11:49 AM

25,740 posts, read 18,809,520 times
For me, the will to continue to exist has nothing to do with society around me. It's not that I hate people (I don't); but I do, for the most part, hate the social structure our species has invented, or rather imposed on itself over the last 100 years or so (and many times before that as well). I suppose that's a form of misanthropy; so be it. My will exists in spite of society.

My motivation is the magnificent natural world around me: the sunrise, the sunset, the seasons, the animals, trees, mountains, valleys, plains, deserts. The wondrous endless expanse of the universe out there--both the known and unknown aspects of our reality. Standing at the top of a 12,000 ft peak and looking over the vast carpet of earth before me. Walking along the river with a foot of snow and 15 degrees--the trees covered with frost, my breath visible in front of me. The soft color of the winter sky and the long, stark shadows from the sunshine at winter solstice.

Of course, I'm not always able to be a part of nature, unfortunately. When I'm stuck in the urban nightmare, my motivation comes from within--my inner universe. I was given a very vivid imagination that can be as real to me as the physical world. I often turn to art (I paint and draw) or writing (fiction). I also have a very 'even' temperament nearly absent of psychological and emotional peaks and valleys; I don't require much; I have no need for a lot of 'junk' in life. If one expects nothing, one will never be disappointed.

This is what motivates and energizes my life and existence.

Last edited by ChrisC; 01-10-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 11:55 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
For everyone it is different so please don't tell me I am pathetic. My life goal has been to live out in Southern California. I have been researching, visiting several times to prepare for my life move. 2009 was a horrible year, my Mom lost her battle with Cancer and my brothers and I took care of her. I lost my job, and my divorce was finalized. (yeah if I liked Country music I could easily write a song) I have no kids. The only light at the end of the tunnel for me is getting the house sold and moving on with my dream.
California is in bad shape right now, but the entire world is right now so what's it really matter. I can not waste any more time. As my Mom always liked to sing and say "I Will Survive."
So that's it, move to the land of fruits and nuts (and tons of sunshine, something my life has lacked for a long time).

Old 01-10-2010, 12:39 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
In my life ...

My family, my wife, my work energize me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates