Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 06:44 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,087 times

Advertisements

it is a fetus and this loses no rights. If and when the child is born its rights are still there. A dead beat dad is a dead beat dad. I would rather have a dead beat man not become a father of a child. If that means allowing him not to pay child support so be it. the Child is better off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:49 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
it is a fetus and this loses no rights. If and when the child is born its rights are still there. A dead beat dad is a dead beat dad. I would rather have a dead beat man not become a father of a child. If that means allowing him not to pay child support so be it. the Child is better off.
So you're saying the fetus has no rights until it is born, because once it's born, it does, in fact, have rights. So if the girl wants to have the baby, but you tell her you don't want it, as long as you 'opt out' before it's born, that's okay? Like even the night before? All good?

Old 07-21-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
So you're saying the fetus has no rights until it is born, because once it's born, it does, in fact, have rights. So if the girl wants to have the baby, but you tell her you don't want it, as long as you 'opt out' before it's born, that's okay? Like even the night before? All good?
well if you read my previous post on this thread...way, way back, you will see that is exactly what I mean. well, almost, the man should have the same amount of time that the woman has to choose an abortion. As soon as the woman cannot get an abortion then the man cannot opt out of child support. If the man had no knowledge of the child then as soon as he does know about it, he has a time frame to opt out.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
well if you read my previous post on this thread...way, way back, you will see that is exactly what I mean. well, almost, the man should have the same amount of time that the woman has to choose an abortion. As soon as the woman cannot get an abortion then the man cannot opt out of child support. If the man had no knowledge of the child then as soon as he does know about it, he has a time frame to opt out.
Okay, my bad, so he has the same amount of time to decide if he wants to be a dad as a woman has to have an abortion. He can decide to bail up to that point. Well what if the woman wants to bail at that point too? SHE CAN'T. You want to be able to walk out and forget about it. Well she has to undergo a very unpleasant and pretty emotional procedure that will follow her the rest of her life.....on medical forms.....future relationships......an act that some people call murder.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:
But I'm giving the man the option.....the option to abort or not. She cannot abort without his consent. So with that, there is no she's got rights but I don't. Both have a say in the abortion. That was the point you all made.....over and over again. She can abort, but I can't. Well I'm saying, yes you can. You have the right. You have a say.
However, that will never happen.

It will never pass the Supreme court that a woman has to gain consent of the man before she can obtain an abortion. What about in cases of rape or incest?
Should the girls uncle have to sign a paper if he rapes his niece? No.

If there is such a law, and there isn't, the Supreme court will rule against it, as its unconstitutional. Ever hear of Roe V Wade?

So, as the law stands now, the woman has a choice. All I am saying is the man should have the same choice.

That choice is do you want the child, yes or no. If he chooses yes, then he'll have to be fiscally responsible for the child, if the answer is no, then he should be relieved of all rights and responsibilities.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Okay, my bad, so he has the same amount of time to decide if he wants to be a dad as a woman has to have an abortion. He can decide to bail up to that point. Well what if the woman wants to bail at that point too? SHE CAN'T. You want to be able to walk out and forget about it. Well she has to undergo a very unpleasant and pretty emotional procedure that will follow her the rest of her life.....on medical forms.....future relationships......an act that some people call murder.
The man and woman has the same amount of time. the exact same time...how do you not get this?

Old 07-21-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
However, that will never happen.

It will never pass the Supreme court that a woman has to gain consent of the man before she can obtain an abortion. What about in cases of rape or incest?
Should the girls uncle have to sign a paper if he rapes his niece? No.

If there is such a law, and there isn't, the Supreme court will rule against it, as its unconstitutional. Ever hear of Roe V Wade?

So, as the law stands now, the woman has a choice. All I am saying is the man should have the same choice.

That choice is do you want the child, yes or no. If he chooses yes, then he'll have to be fiscally responsible for the child, if the answer is no, then he should be relieved of all rights and responsibilities.
Again, there's a bill before congress proposing the father has rights to decide if the woman can abort. In the bill, cases of incest and rape are excluded. So yes, highly unlikely, but not inconceivable.

Either way, I was asking for the sake of argument, to consider this the case.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
The man and woman has the same amount of time. the exact same time...how do you not get this?
How do you not get that it is the woman who has to undergo the procedure? Even if they both want to bail? There's still that little issue of termination. The man don't heve to go through that. You're advocating that the man shouldn't have to do anything.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:
Again, there's a bill before congress proposing the father has rights to decide if the woman can abort. In the bill, cases of incest and rape are excluded. So yes, highly unlikely, but not inconceivable.

Either way, I was asking for the sake of argument, to consider this the case.
It will never pass, and if it doe, the Supreme court will strike it down.

I deal in whats actually happening today.

Agree or disagree, Do you think a man has the same right to decide if he wants a child that a woman has. If your answer is yes, then if he decides he doesn't want the child, he shouldn't have to pay for it. If the mother, who wants the child, can't afford the child, she has options other than abortion.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
How do you not get that it is the woman who has to undergo the procedure? Even if they both want to bail? There's still that little issue of termination. The man don't heve to go through that. You're advocating that the man shouldn't have to do anything.
yeah, but the procedure is her choice. as is the pregnancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates