U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 09:12 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,314,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
So that's why I presented the idea that women have to obtain consent from the man before getting an abortion. Then they too, have this right.
Like I said, that's not good enough, you want the right to abandon your child. You said you can't force an abortion, so you can't FORCE her to just get rid of it, cause that's not right. Yet, you want the right to 'get rid of it' by walking away just because 'you don't want it'.
I don't want to tell any woman what she can or cannot do with her body.

The example you keep bringing up, some Ohio bill that will never pass, that a woman has to get my consent before obtaining an abortion is just that, TELLING A WOMAN YOU MUST CARRY THE CHILD FOR 9 MONTHS, WHETHER YOU WANT TO OR NOT.

We don't want that, we aren't that big of an *******. The woman has the right to get an abortion, which means if she doesn't want the responsibilty of caring for the child, she can just end the pregnancy, and all is over.

What we are fighting for isn't abandoning the child, we are fighting for the same right as the woman. While we can't, and don't want, the right to tell a woman you've got to get an abortion, we do believe we have the right to say we want nothing to do with the child.

If a man says, "I don't want the child, I will help you with the cost of an abortion, but if you choose to continue with the pregnancy, then all of the cost and responsiblity will be on you."

Its the same choice women get, we just want that for men to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Can't a man voluntarily terminate his parental rights? Seems as if he got a lawyer, he could choose to fight becoming a "coerced father"...
He can terminate his parental rights, however, the mother can still file suit against him for child support.

See how screwed up that is?

Old 07-25-2009, 07:13 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,726,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
He can terminate his parental rights, however, the mother can still file suit against him for child support.

See how screwed up that is?
Wow. Yes - way screwed up. Is that how it is in every state?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Wow. Yes - way screwed up. Is that how it is in every state?
Not sure? However, and this is truly screwed up, the mother just has to move to a state where that is the law. Then, she can file suit, and get the child support through that state.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:39 PM

1,779 posts, read 2,038,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Not sure? However, and this is truly screwed up, the mother just has to move to a state where that is the law. Then, she can file suit, and get the child support through that state.
Even if the man moves to another country she can get his money. I am sorry but I have never met a woman who gets child support who uses it just for her kids. she puts it in her account and spends it on her as well, this is wrong...if the woman merely needs food, clothing and such, why not allow the man to buy these things for the children? If that is what the money is for, then why do I see single moms with child support getting $50 haircuts, going to tanning salons, getting their nails done, and they work a min wage job. I dont know about you but I work two jobs, and own my own business and I would never get any of those things for those prices. I pay $16 -20 for my haircut and well I dont use salons of any kind. But how can these woman afford to get this done? its not their own money...if it was then they should not be using it on that stuff. Most men that have to pay child support have to work two jobs just to make ends meet and then the woman finds out and goes for more money becasue the man is making more....sorry but the current state of this system is wrong. most government policies are wrong and one sided, not accounting for one of the sides and could care less about being fair.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:22 AM

5,945 posts, read 12,726,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Even if the man moves to another country she can get his money. I am sorry but I have never met a woman who gets child support who uses it just for her kids. she puts it in her account and spends it on her as well, this is wrong...if the woman merely needs food, clothing and such, why not allow the man to buy these things for the children? If that is what the money is for, then why do I see single moms with child support getting $50 haircuts, going to tanning salons, getting their nails done, and they work a min wage job. I dont know about you but I work two jobs, and own my own business and I would never get any of those things for those prices. I pay $16 -20 for my haircut and well I dont use salons of any kind. But how can these woman afford to get this done? its not their own money...if it was then they should not be using it on that stuff. Most men that have to pay child support have to work two jobs just to make ends meet and then the woman finds out and goes for more money becasue the man is making more....sorry but the current state of this system is wrong. most government policies are wrong and one sided, not accounting for one of the sides and could care less about being fair.
You're right. On the rare occasions my mom would actually receive a child support check, she'd rush out for her box or two of wine and it was delivery pizza for dinner. Then she'd ***** about my dad not paying more when she couldn't afford school supplies or shoes and clothes for us... I feel that a lot of the money men pay for child support probably gets misspent.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:24 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,437,255 times
when you make the decision to not sleep with a woman i think your personal power skyrockets.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:05 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,450,718 times
Yea, I agree...saying that we want the same rights as the women have, well women are the ones that have to endure the pregnancy so the human race continues....some people have good pregnancies though, but I mean, let's face it it's not equal, and each sex has a little to bear when it comes to reproduction, I think women have more to bear now though. Women have to carry the baby, have the baby, and expected to provide most of the nurturing if not all, and now bring home the bacon for the baby. Guys get away with not paying for kids all the time, sure a couple get caught, but just a few in the grand scheme of things. The adoption system does need some work though like someone pointed out.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:22 AM

2,242 posts, read 5,435,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
when you make the decision to not sleep with a woman i think your personal power skyrockets.
What about when a women makes the decision not to sleep with a man?

Old 07-29-2009, 08:34 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,450,718 times
same I'd say, but it was all about are men obligated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or