U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-14-2009, 04:23 PM
 
604 posts, read 1,050,556 times
Reputation: 217

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Nope, I want 5 days.

I want a man to have the right to say, "Ok, I don't want children." After sex, and then after that, if the woman decides to do nothing about her situation, then the responsiblity is on her. Believe me, I will be more than happy to tell a woman I don't want anymore kids if I'm with her. I'd even keep a mourning after pill at my house for her to take. If she turns it down, then its on her.
"if the woman decides to do nothing about her situation"
I'm guessing you mean THEIR situation. I know it's hard to break such cognitive distortions. You want this right because the woman will not abort because you want her to. Well the woman has the right to abort, legally, because it is her body. So it only follows logically that she also has the right NOT to abort. Then how is it that she, and your unborn child, lose basic humanistic not to mention legal rights because of a decision that everyone has granted is hers to begin with??? That's why she CAN abort, because it's HER body. She therefore has the right NOT to abort, because it's HER body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2009, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,307,565 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
"if the woman decides to do nothing about her situation"
I'm guessing you mean THEIR situation. I know it's hard to break such cognitive distortions. You want this right because the woman will not abort because you want her to. Well the woman has the right to abort, legally, because it is her body. So it only follows logically that she also has the right NOT to abort. Then how is it that she, and your unborn child, lose basic humanistic not to mention legal rights because of a decision that everyone has granted is hers to begin with??? That's why she CAN abort, because it's HER body. She therefore has the right NOT to abort, because it's HER body.
Yes, and I think that the man should have the same choices. Since its her body, her choice, then she should have to deal with it herself, if the man wants none of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2009, 04:42 PM
 
604 posts, read 1,050,556 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yes, and I think that the man should have the same choices. Since its her body, her choice, then she should have to deal with it herself, if the man wants none of it.
"Same choices"? How are any of these choices the 'same'? Are you also undergoing a medical procedure either way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2009, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,307,565 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
"Same choices"? How are any of these choices the 'same'? Are you also undergoing a medical procedure either way?
Yes,

Its the surgical removal of money from my wallet, for a child I chose not to have.

Also, the woman doesn't have to wait that long, as was stated earlier, she has 5 days to take a pill, and not have to worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2009, 05:03 PM
 
604 posts, read 1,050,556 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yes,

Its the surgical removal of money from my wallet, for a child I chose not to have.

Also, the woman doesn't have to wait that long, as was stated earlier, she has 5 days to take a pill, and not have to worry about it.
So the answer is no. You are not undergoing any medical treatment. And both parents cough up cash. Child support is one thing, being the primary caregiver is another.

And you chose not to have this child a little late didn't you? After contributing your sperm to her egg? You are equally responsible for the pregnancy. Now you want out of any and all of that responsibility? And why was that again? You got yourself into this. These are the options. There's no easy way out, for you, for her, for the child. You think just because you 'choose' to do so then it is so? Well I 'choose' not to deal with my DWI or my speeding ticket or my accidental backing into another car. I choose not to answer to anyone for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2009, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,307,565 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
So the answer is no. You are not undergoing any medical treatment. And both parents cough up cash. Child support is one thing, being the primary caregiver is another.

And you chose not to have this child a little late didn't you? After contributing your sperm to her egg? You are equally responsible for the pregnancy. Now you want out of any and all of that responsibility? And why was that again? You got yourself into this. These are the options. There's no easy way out, for you, for her, for the child. You think just because you 'choose' to do so then it is so? Well I 'choose' not to deal with my DWI or my speeding ticket or my accidental backing into another car. I choose not to answer to anyone for anything.
She has 5 days to take a pill, give the man 5 days to tell her he doesn't want a child. If, beyond that, the woman continues with the pregnancy, then she should know the child is hers, hers alone, and she will be the only one paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2009, 05:21 PM
 
604 posts, read 1,050,556 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
She has 5 days to take a pill, give the man 5 days to tell her he doesn't want a child. If, beyond that, the woman continues with the pregnancy, then she should know the child is hers, hers alone, and she will be the only one paying for it.
Because she chose NOT to do something that you agree is her right. Then it has to be her right either way. That's just the way it is. Unfair? Maybe. That's basic biology. Either way, the mother has to go through an unpleasant medical proocedure that will follow her for the rest of her life. And although you contributed to this 'condition', you don't want to deal with any of the consequences.

I guess the only way I could see your point is if you added a price to pay for the men who want out, some sort of medical procedure, because if you base your argument on equality, then certainly you wouldn't expect the woman to be the only person who has to see a doctor. The man needs to experience something similar to an abortion or childbirth, if you're focused on the whole because-she-can-I want-to-too thing. So let's see, what medical price could men pay for an abortion.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 08:13 PM
 
Location: In my skin
8,867 posts, read 13,844,225 times
Reputation: 8719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yes,

Its the surgical removal of money from my wallet, for a child I chose not to have.

Also, the woman doesn't have to wait that long, as was stated earlier, she has 5 days to take a pill, and not have to worry about it.
Abortion is not intended to be a form of birth control. Where do you people come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 08:42 PM
 
1,779 posts, read 2,037,515 times
Reputation: 616
Yes women have the right to do with her body as she pleases. Yes BOTH the man and WOMAN chose to have sex. If the woman gets pregnant it is not just the woman that is pregnant, yes she goes through the birthing process but this is how things worked out, deal with it. Now becasue of this biological occurrence, people assume that the woman should have all say in the question of to have it or not. This is not so, since the way things are now people say its her body its her baby and she can do with it what she wants. Okay so that is the way it is now, the woman can have it or not. If she chooses not to she does not need to get the consent of the man she had sex with who has rights to 50% of that child. Now if the woman chooses to have the child she can do so with out the consent of the man. So womens choices stop at what point? A mans options stop at the bed side so why is it that a man is the only one who is forced to be responsible? If abortion is legal then a man should have the option to opt out of fatherhood and all financial obligations.

As things are, the so called "rights" are no where near being equal and they should be since both man and woman play an equal part in the conception of the child. They both chose to have sex, protected or not and it resulted in a child. For this reason men are now FORCED to pay up to 25% of their income to pay for the child(ren). Since this is the case then woman should not have the option to have abortions, if a man cant opt out then a woman cant either, even if she wants the baby or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,307,565 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Abortion is not intended to be a form of birth control. Where do you people come from?
Then what was abortion intended for?

This thread isn't about, should there be abortion or not, this thread is about the fact that women use abortion as birth control, yet men have no choice after the child is conceived. Women have a choice, and we are arguing that men should have a choice, since women do. Equal rights and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top