Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2009, 09:00 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,139,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Now wait a minute..men get snipped and women take a pill? um...yeah follow hitler much?
I won't deny that it's a hitler approach that will never be realized, but the procedures can be reversible from what I understand. There is BC for women that can last for months (maybe even longer, I'm not sure).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 09:13 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
..In pregnancy, treating women as victims of a man's deed by its very nature, invokes a notion of female inferiority/victimhood.
The only solution to problems is to start addressing the problems, instead of assigning blame and concentrating on concepts like inferiority and victimhood.

Obviously, there need to be social measures that discourage people from engaging in destructively irresponsible behavior. But there will always be people who do, and leave a trail of problems that will not vanish by the expedient of simple blame.

Above all else, every human being is entitled to dignity. Social resolution ought to be designed to give that dignity the highest priority, and attempt to minimize our problems without minimizing the dignity of those who, unlike you and me, are imperfect.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:17 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,958,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The only solution to problems is to start addressing the problems, instead of assigning blame and concentrating on concepts like inferiority and victimhood.

Obviously, there need to be social measures that discourage people from engaging in destructively irresponsible behavior. But there will always be people who do, and leave a trail of problems that will not vanish by the expedient of simple blame.

Above all else, every human being is entitled to dignity. Social resolution ought to be designed to give that dignity the highest priority, and attempt to minimize our problems without minimizing the dignity of those who, unlike you and me, are imperfect.
I kind of disagree with this statement. The fact is that women ARE legally viewed as inferior victims of a male copulation. This, under the current system, allows them to shirk responsibility for their imperfections. I, and I presume you, are willing to accept responsibility for our actions without waiting for someone else to "minimize" my problem that I (YOU) CREATED. I realize that I am imperfect, and therefore take as many precautions to 'minimize' the likelihood of my problems occurring in the first place. When those precautions fail, I deal with it. Simple as that. Nothing is guaranteed foolproof.

Whats crazy, is that we only offer to minimize the parental problems of women in this country (after she engages in the act of consensual sex). A man seeking to minimize his problems with dignity (after he engages in the act of consensual sex) by rejecting his responsibility to an unwanted child faces outcries of immorality, which is reinforced by legal punishment for doing so.

In essence, one sex is viewed as a victim who needs our help to minimize her problems, while the other is offered NO recourse to help minimize his problems.

I dont argue that anyone take away a woman's right to abort an unwanted child. As we all agree: it is her body. But a man's body is his also. And if his body doesnt want to be responsible for a child, he should also be afforded the same opportunity to reject that responsibility that a woman is afforded to reject her responsibility via abortion. At the present, our legal system is rooted in pure gender inequality.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:29 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
there is a district in China where marriage does not occur. The men and women of the community mingle freely, and when babies are born, they live with the mother, who lives with her own parents. It is not a free-for-all orgy, the mating is voluntary and done discreetly and with decorum, and there is allowance for fun on the side. Nobody seems to be blaming anybody for victimhood, and all children are properly cared for and reared in a stable family home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosuo#Walking_marriages

Last edited by jtur88; 09-19-2009 at 01:39 PM..

Old 09-19-2009, 07:42 PM

604 posts, read 1,183,249 times
Quote:
I agree with everything said here. I am also in agreement with 2Mares...In pregnancy, treating women as victims of a man's deed by its very nature, invokes a notion of female inferiority/victimhood.

Women are every bit as responsible for becoming pregnant as men are for impregnating them. As 2mares said: It sounds as silly saying "He got me pregnant" as it does "we are pregnant".

If a woman is afforded both the option to abort a child (which also effects the unborn child negatively) or keep it. A man should be afforded both the option to accept responsibility for a child AND the option to reject responsibility for it if he didnt want the child.

IMO It isnt about whether one party SHOULD have done this or shouldnt have had sex or whatnot. The fact is: They BOTH decided to have sex. So there needs to be some recourse for BOTH parties should either one decide they do not want to accept responsibility for a child; if there is recourse for one party. Currently recourse(s) that exists is only afforded to women in the form of a choice between an abortion (which is also an abrogation of parental responsibility) or to adopt, or keep the child should she decide to.

I dont see how a woman making an independent decision to abort a child (thereby rejecting her parental responsibility), is any less irresponsible and harmless to the child, than a man who decides to reject HIS parental responsibility.

And I understand that they may both socially be viewed as 'deadbeats'...however, we currently only hold only ONE gender legally accountable for being a deadbeat parent. That is pure inequality imo.
The woman has the abortion and the man deals with nothing, not even the cost. There's no affect on the family or school or taxpayers. If however, dad decides to walk away from his child, then EVERYONE pays, everyone except him.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:49 PM

So let's consider how this would all play out, if men could just walk away from their unborn child and never have to be a father in any sense.....just because he wants to......he never visits, helps, cooks, teaches, supports, pays, drives the kid or anything. He doesn't have to. The kid knows this. Maybe your parents know and wish they could see their grandchild. And if any guy can do this, it's not a stretch to see more kids with no dads growing up knowing dad just bailed. What kind of message are you trying to send? How does this benefit anyone?

Old 09-19-2009, 08:37 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,958,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
The woman has the abortion and the man deals with nothing, not even the cost. There's no affect on the family or school or taxpayers. If however, dad decides to walk away from his child, then EVERYONE pays, everyone except him.
If a man wants to have a child and a woman has an abortion he pays a great deal emotionally. How does everyone pay when a man decides to walk away from his child, anymore so than they would pay if a woman decides to abort her child, thereby ending the life of what could potentially be the next Bill Gates, or the finder of a cure for cancer?

Society only holds men accountable for walking away from his child. We tend not to consider what all a woman could be depriving EVERYONE when she chooses to have an abortion. She too is doing society a great injustice.

Just as there is no guarantee that every single mother will struggle financially, thereby becoming a burden to taxpayers (OR we could let them be accountable for their own offspring). There is no guarantee that an aborted child could not have been the next great humanitarian, thereby also depriving society/taxpayers of a potentially extraordinary mind.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:45 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,346,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Not true. The man could have regrets one day and all could be lost. He could say that he wants to be apart of the kids life and the mom and/or the kid could say no.

I think that is a big loss. Think of his parents as well.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
If a man wants to have a child and a woman has an abortion he pays a great deal emotionally. How does everyone pay when a man decides to walk away from his child, anymore so than they would pay if a woman decides to abort her child, thereby ending the life of what could potentially be the next Bill Gates, or the finder of a cure for cancer?

That's not really the case you've been talking about though. Plus if the man pays emotionally for the abortion, then so does the woman. And the case of the man wanting the child and the woman wanting the abortion is a much less frequent occurence than the other way around, cause hey, that's what this is all about right? Woman wants baby, man doesn't, so man wants no financial or legal obligation. So you can't use these rare instances or the whole 'ending a life' excuse to justify why you would prefer she have the abortion from the start. If abotion is such a bad choice, and you're gonna walk away if she has the baby, then what choices are you leaving the mother with??

Society only holds men accountable for walking away from his child. We tend not to consider what all a woman could be depriving EVERYONE when she chooses to have an abortion. She too is doing society a great injustice.

So you're against abortion?

Just as there is no guarantee that every single mother will struggle financially, thereby becoming a burden to taxpayers (OR we could let them be accountable for their own offspring). There is no guarantee that an aborted child could not have been the next great humanitarian, thereby also depriving society/taxpayers of a potentially extraordinary mind.
These arguments just never make any sense...

Old 09-19-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Not true. The man could have regrets one day and all could be lost. He could say that he wants to be apart of the kids life and the mom and/or the kid could say no.

I think that is a big loss. Think of his parents as well.
The woman could also have regrets one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates