U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:57 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,798,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
It is wrong. I fault Palin for this, I think the cover of her dd and gs is a backdoor advertisement for her next campaign.

As to glamourizing teen pregnancy - yes, that has been going on for years. However, I saw a show on Mtv ( I know, but they really have the best documentaries) called 16 and pregnant. It was great - it showed a girl and her boyfriend throughout the pregnancy and afterwards, and it didn't pull punches. As each day of the pregnancy past you could see the boy withdraw and the girl cling and pretend everything is so good, its all so romantic.
It was so sad. I think that one episode will keep more girls from getting pregnant then all of the abstinance only talks at school ever could. Imo, this series should be shown in all the jr highs on a regular basis.
I quite liked that show. It showed how difficult it can be... giving up her dance squad, working all the time while dealing with a crying baby AND trying to finish her homework so she could have a better life. All while her 'fiancee' hung out with friends and went to the gym. It's a good eye opener, but unfortunately many teens will just say 'well, we're different, we're in looooove!!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
I have to say, having her pose in her cap and gown is a bit unrealistic for alot of pregnant teens...... Especially that college one....

That was my first thought. Teen pregnancy is fine and dandy if your family is wealthy and can afford to watch the child while you study and go to school. What about the kids who have one parent (mother OR father) and can barely make ends meet as it is? These teen 'stars' having children who are all smiles and graduating high school and going to college are not normal kids. They are the select few who have everything going for them, not everything stacked against them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 01:26 PM

530 posts, read 568,499 times
How do you think putting a person who has one (or two imho) children at her age as a role model for abstience? Lets just put cheech and chong on a just say no to drugs campain! Then let's fast forward to 2009 and realize this is a dream. You didn't wait til you were married, i didn't and your children won't. Wake up and realize that all the teaching of "don't do it" won't work, lets provide real education and free birth control for these people. Use common sense , i know that will be really hard for some!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:08 PM

29,613 posts, read 31,923,958 times
I think that cover, in the cap and gown, actually may encourage teen pregnancy.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:54 PM

9,964 posts, read 11,818,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think that cover, in the cap and gown, actually may encourage teen pregnancy.
Yep, if she can do it so can I!

It comes down to morality, go ahead and roll your eyes if you want, but human beings have had moral codes for thousands of years for good reasons.

If there wasn't disease or pregnancy I wouldn't care when a young 16 year old girl decided to have sex that would be totally her decision to make but there are consequences and not a one of them is pretty.

Some of the consequences are monetary and while some feel I shouldn't be judgmental voicing my opinion their yelps for tax money is squarely aimed at my wallet. If I am going to pay then I have an ironclad, legitimate reason and right to voice my judgmental opinions.

Medicaid, WIC and public housing all comes out of my tax dollars. I will voice my opinion and if you don't like it then up yours, it's my money!

It was easy in the 50's because good girls really didn't do it near as much as they do today. Boys didn't either. Some of the girls dads were WW2 combat veterans and I knew a few that wouldn't be shy about giving a young man of 16 a good public whipping on main street.

The country could afford an illegitimate pregnancy rate of 4% but we can not afford a rate of 40% or more.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:45 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,832,743 times
i think that whole family is a few french fries short of a happy meal. i can't stand politicians, and i can't stand snot-nosed, stuck-up kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
What a ****! Screw the PC crap she's a stupid **** and damn the magazine for glamorizing this garbage!

I don't like it either but I guess you can tell already.

With her mom and dad she'll do fine through life but single motherhood is the certain road to a lifetime of poverty for 90% of the girls who choose it.

But we seem to pick on the girls, what about the guys?

Where are the dads talking to their 14 year old sons about sex, the aftermath of sex and the big man problems sex can bring?

Like a lifetime of poverty for example. Imagine paying child support from age 18 to 36 when you should be going to college and starting your own family. You can't afford it because you got a kid.

The talk. "You're friends can go to college and get good jobs. You will ride your bicycle everyday to your McDonald's job because you can not afford a car but need to make child support payment #134. You lucky dog you, hope the 15 minutes was worth it." Have the talk well before it (sex) happens and have the talk on a regular basis keeping in mind a 17 year old male is thinking about sex 99.99978% of his time.

Let them know there's consequences for their actions and when it comes to sex non of them are pretty.

Take your daughter to the seedy part of town to show her the public housing she will be living in while she works at the Wendy's drive thru. I had several talks with mine, lots of talks, and nobody can ever accuse me of sugar coating anything. Sometimes I got really gross talking like a marine drill sergeant but it had to be in their face and you had to get their attention because they are thinking about sex.

At the same time I was careful never to demonize sex. Told my daughter I wanted her to have a happy, healthy sex life (she rolled her eyes wanting to drop through the cracks on the floor) but it all had to come in property sequence or she would be hurt. I loved her and did not want to see her hurt.

Told her if she even thought she might be having sex to get on the pill, sex causes pregnancy and with college coming up and being single you don't want to deal with that. Told her if the urge was strong that it was normal but get a vibrator to deal with it. She had to hear this from me because she wasn't going to hear it from her friends.

Then one of her 17 year old girl friends came down with herpes. Genital herpes, the very first time she had sex. 17 years old and she was going to deal with that souvenir the rest of her life. The boy was a college kid she was in love with. Made a huge impact on my daughter.
nice post.

i agree that we need to be more frank with the kids. my mom said that one of the biggest disservices that her parents did as she grew up was being too embarrassed to talk about sex with her and her brothers. she had to learn everything from her friends at school.

she was smart about it, and made good choices, but do we wanna guess how that strategy usually turns out?

at the same time, i think we need to teach contraceptives as a society. maybe not in school, i dunno, but it definitely needs to be stressed. between teaching teens the realities of a sexually active lifestyle, and providing contraceptives, i think that some percentage of miserable, pregnant teens and preteens (and often neglected, poorly raised children) could be avoided.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:01 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,995,133 times
I get the feeling the kid (Bristol) has been pushed in to this role as some sort of retribution...to go from a free thinking "Abstinence is unrealistic", and yes, I know that's out of context, having read the whole interview...but the gist was the same...to the careful "Abstinence is the only way"...did you see how she looked at her mother during that last interview with both of them? Not sure which one now, lost track. Look in the girls eyes and watch her body language. She is hesitant and checking for approval. Pay attention to her answers and when she has nothing to say but "I don't know". Especially when she was asked why she'd be a good role model, given her circumstances. It's not as much dimwit as it is not prepared.

I haven't a thing against the kid or what she's done, because she's trying to own up to it...but I find this 'Public Service' effort politically contrived. Bristol is being used.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:18 PM

23,009 posts, read 31,965,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
.... advertisement for teen pregnancy?

Excuse me, but doesn't this latest People magazine spread featuring Bristol Palin make teen motherhood look, well... kind of glamorous? And fun?
And what ever happened to "Leave families out of this"?

Do these photos appear to have been shot candidly, against young bristol's will?
I think the maury show will find a whole mess of teen girls who want babies after this.

I have a cousin down south who is 17 and pregnant. My mother was shocked and angry. I said that you know that the father will punk out either when or after this baby arrives. I think what will help to stop this is to show these teen girls that the father 95% of the time the father will abandon them and deny the kid.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 PM

656 posts, read 951,854 times
Quote:
What a ****! Screw the PC crap she's a stupid **** and damn the magazine for glamorizing this garbage!

I don't like it either but I guess you can tell already.

With her mom and dad she'll do fine through life but single motherhood is the certain road to a lifetime of poverty for 90% of the girls who choose it.

But we seem to pick on the girls, what about the guys?

Where are the dads talking to their 14 year old sons about sex, the aftermath of sex and the big man problems sex can bring?

Like a lifetime of poverty for example. Imagine paying child support from age 18 to 36 when you should be going to college and starting your own family. You can't afford it because you got a kid.

The talk. "You're friends can go to college and get good jobs. You will ride your bicycle everyday to your McDonald's job because you can not afford a car but need to make child support payment #134. You lucky dog you, hope the 15 minutes was worth it." Have the talk well before it (sex) happens and have the talk on a regular basis keeping in mind a 17 year old male is thinking about sex 99.99978% of his time.

Let them know there's consequences for their actions and when it comes to sex non of them are pretty.

Take your daughter to the seedy part of town to show her the public housing she will be living in while she works at the Wendy's drive thru. I had several talks with mine, lots of talks, and nobody can ever accuse me of sugar coating anything. Sometimes I got really gross talking like a marine drill sergeant but it had to be in their face and you had to get their attention because they are thinking about sex.

At the same time I was careful never to demonize sex. Told my daughter I wanted her to have a happy, healthy sex life (she rolled her eyes wanting to drop through the cracks on the floor) but it all had to come in property sequence or she would be hurt. I loved her and did not want to see her hurt.

Told her if she even thought she might be having sex to get on the pill, sex causes pregnancy and with college coming up and being single you don't want to deal with that. Told her if the urge was strong that it was normal but get a vibrator to deal with it. She had to hear this from me because she wasn't going to hear it from her friends.

Then one of her 17 year old girl friends came down with herpes. Genital herpes, the very first time she had sex. 17 years old and she was going to deal with that souvenir the rest of her life. The boy was a college kid she was in love with. Made a huge impact on my daughter.
Or, instead of constantly scaring the sh*t out of them, teach them about safe sex.

The scare tactic works; it truly does. Only when they are just entering puberty though. The thought of having your wang or jj messed up like that from sex is a very frightening thing.

But, at some point in time, the scare wears off. What next? Keep scaring them until they get married? You have to have something more.

Use that scare tactic, but then tell them about safe sex (cuz we all know it's going to happen for 90% of teenagers out there). Tell them that when they start having sex, they can avoid all that hullabaloo by wearing a condom.

Condoms break but that's mainly when they are not used correctly. Teach your son how to put on a condom and use one, every time. Teach your daughter to use birth control in conjunction with a condom, every time.

There really is no excuse for young people (aside from rape) to have a STD or an unplanned pregnancy. It's simply a matter of personal responsibility. If you don't want kids, be responsible. If you don't want bumps on your junk, be responsible.

I choose to be responsible because I don't want that itchy feeling and I don't want kids right now. Sadly, the same can't be said for most of my friends.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,490,270 times
It doesn't really glamorize it, but it does seem to make it look like not such a big deal (knowing people who have, it is a big deal). Plus it kind of takes away the Republican standing on teen sex. The problem with scare tactics is once some one realizes the bad (sex) is not so bad, they don't know about other options to not get pregnant.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:02 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,237,161 times
Quote:
Hey just like her mommy, the only difference is that Sarah got married before the baby came. A bunch of low brow Alaskan rednecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or