U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:14 AM

18,320 posts, read 18,571,226 times

Advertisements

"What goes around comes around"
I read reference to karma coming back to bite you in the *ss pretty often in these threads.
Do you personally believe this or is it just something that makes ineffectual people feel better?
I'm purposely not mentioning it's sister "will be punished when you meet your maker' to avoid this being a religious arguement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 08:02 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,748,199 times
I don't believe in karma as some mystical quid-pro-quo. Like, if somebody has been embezzling from his company for years, and then dies in a plane crash, That's not karma. That's coincidence.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:12 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,113,623 times
I don't believe karma witch I thnik of has persoamal luck has anyhting to do with what goes around ;comes around. That is more just a matter of continuing a certain behavior and having it turn on you.Its like a bully meets his match;crook gets caught;a wife beater is killed by the wife ;etc.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:17 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,547,458 times
Good question, O.C. I guess I do "believe" in karma. Why, you ask? Because a totally "unjust" world does not make any sense to me. Cause and Effect is a sound theory that can be tested. . . but the Universe is very complex. Heck, just yesterday I heard a piece on N.P.R. about the "butterfly effect". . . that every action / motion made by anyone, will "change" the climate of the planet. . . that that "change" takes about 2 weeks to manifest. . . etc. etc. Pretty wild, huh?

So, if one considers "cause and effect" to be "tool / device" by which one experiences the effect of one's action. . . a learning tool, really. . . then why would it cease to operate upon the death of an individual? What I do not believe in is reincarnation, as a cohesive personality. . . that is just so much "pie in the sky", in my opinion. All life changes. . . death is a change. .. time is a "difficult" concept, I do not pretend to understand, but it makes sense to me that karma (cause and effect) can span eons, can account for the conditions into which each and every creature is born, etc. The real question, for me at least, is do I believe in a just universe, or a random one. . . and, at the moment at least, I have chosen to belive in a just universe. . . .

Old 06-13-2009, 08:33 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,638,476 times
There is nothing mystical about it. If you are the kind of person who routinely treats people with kindness, that quality of yours will be recognized, and people will treat you that way, too. It does not mean that Al Capone can leave a large tip at a restaurant, and the jury will let him off 20 years later.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:24 AM

10,366 posts, read 10,003,997 times
I don’t know. Neither does anyone else. They can’t know because, contrary to popular belief, we as a species do not know everything about our existence and the universe. All I can say is that the concept is very appealing to me. I hope it is part of the ‘universal structure.’ I suppose I will find out after I die, unless the atheists are right about our existence; then it won’t matter.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:46 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,452,891 times
I don't believe in Karma because too many people get served with evil they didn't do anything to deserve. Not that anyone deserves evil, but it's like, "how come this punk who started the whole thing isn't suffering one bit for his actions, while this person, wrong place wrong time is taking the hit?" Where's Karma at huh? Then we all want to be like, oh it's coming....they'll get theirs....well they might not. In the meantime Mr. Punk get's to live the life with no regard to how his actions could have affected someone's life for the worse. As for the "butterfly effect" yea pretty neat stuff. Apparently it came from seagulls originally but 'butterflies sounded more poetic'. Butterfly effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 11 days ago)

14,426 posts, read 16,710,389 times
Karma is a major part of my life. The essense is of balance, and in the end everything finds one. We draw to us what we send out. And we are *ultimately* responsible for our own actions. And everything that happens to us has a reason. All of those times when we see "bad" filling peoples lives, learning comes from it. Perhaps that learning makes some other time a better place. We see small individual moments, but not he wholeness of it. And we exist in the center, but cannot really know the joy on one end without understanding the pain and sadness on the other.

Its interesting to note that a concept that matches karma phrased in its own way is found all over the world.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:04 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,638,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

Its interesting to note that a concept that matches karma phrased in its own way is found all over the world.
"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a
man soweth, that shall he also reap." (Galatians 6:7)

Old 06-13-2009, 06:07 PM

19,290 posts, read 20,176,207 times
I can't help feeling that karma is collective. Every evil act reflects on all sentient beings. Conversely, good spreads waves of compassion and forgiveness widely throughout all living realms. The message here is that when we act wrongly, we darken the sky a little for all humankind and the creatures with whom we share this infinitesimal instant of existence; but when we do good, we do everyone good.

Thus are the spreaders of compassion and goodness revered: Jesus, Buddha, Gandhi, and their ilk, and the evil-doers like Hilter, Stalin, and Mao Tse-tung so univerally reviled for what they did, in the name of humanity, to damage our collective soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates