U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:02 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,195,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Is Manufacturing in the US Really Permanetly Dead/Leaving?

Unlikely, it seems like every week I read in the paper where someone(s) in this town gets arrested for "manufacturing". Doesn't seem to slow anything down though.
That's right, this country needs more meth labs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 03:00 PM

8,668 posts, read 6,342,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansen View Post
I really don't want to believe it. I'm not saying blue collar workers/line workers deserve dirt, because they don't, but you have to be competitive, especially in this global manufacturing market. At some point the standard for line work will increase again once the world catches up, but in the meantime you have to be competitive. I have seen it mentioned that plants have popped up in the south were workers generally earn much less, but still are able to live comfortably, i think their example should be followed.

Here is my viewpoint/idea, if we really want to bring our economy back we need to buy american. Yes, buying only American will be more expensive in any circumstance, but it would be worth it in every aspect. From what i understand the Canadians do fairly well with this, and part of the reason why things are more expensive there. That said, theoretical point. While we are waiting for the rest of the world to catch up we should just buck up and take the pay cuts to become competitive. If you are happy with said modest lifestyle then great, but for many it would be a great opportunity for debt-less advancement per say. Many young people who graduate from high school have no way of paying for higher education and are fiscally responsible enough to realize that taking out a huge loan is not always a very good idea to pay for school. So working for any given plant and going to school for how ever many years would be a great way to achieve this. I'm planning on doing some sort of blue collar/physical labor as long as i need to in order to pay for my school/life in the meantime. If there was a plant nearby that i could work for in the meantime i would.

Thoughts??
I think what most people skip over is the fact that most mfg jobs have been lost to automation. Just like Machines reduced the need for farm labor.....computers and forms of artificial intelligence is reducing the need for manufacturing labor....as well as other forms of service labor. I think in the future it really will not matter who has the cheapest labor because artificial intelligence will be used for a lot of it. Furthermore, when artificial intelligence becomes recursive, meaning that it can create itself, then the need for human labor will be reduced even more.

Even now we are holding onto some old paradigms just to keep things afloat. I think the concept of high rise office buildings has passed its value. A good part of office work can be done at homes given broadband technology. There is really no need to to waist all that gas on commuting and waist all that energy heating huge buildings when people can and should be telecommuting more. However, if that happened commercial real-estate would collapse.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:48 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,244,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think what most people skip over is the fact that most mfg jobs have been lost to automation. Just like Machines reduced the need for farm labor.....computers and forms of artificial intelligence is reducing the need for manufacturing labor....as well as other forms of service labor. I think in the future it really will not matter who has the cheapest labor because artificial intelligence will be used for a lot of it. Furthermore, when artificial intelligence becomes recursive, meaning that it can create itself, then the need for human labor will be reduced even more.

Even now we are holding onto some old paradigms just to keep things afloat. I think the concept of high rise office buildings has passed its value. A good part of office work can be done at homes given broadband technology. There is really no need to to waist all that gas on commuting and waist all that energy heating huge buildings when people can and should be telecommuting more. However, if that happened commercial real-estate would collapse.
AND, corps would have a harder time micro-managing you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates