U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 PM
 
44,590 posts, read 43,115,486 times
Reputation: 14385

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I definitely agree with your last statement. Make it expensive and remove the incentive to send jobs offshore. We could so easily slap tariffs on this cheap junk. Most of federal governments revenue used to be from tariffs before the federal income tax.

America was a lot better country before all the manufacturing jobs left. Now it's a race to the bottom. This can't possibly end well for the middle class.
It isn't a matter of "buying American" so much as it is building it here. You can have all of the Nissans you want. but if there are Nissan factories here(and there are) then it is a benefit. If factories are being sent overseas, with no jobs being replaced here, then how does that help people in the USA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2010, 01:01 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
Reputation: 17978
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I definitely agree with your last statement. Make it expensive and remove the incentive to send jobs offshore. We could so easily slap tariffs on this cheap junk. Most of federal governments revenue used to be from tariffs before the federal income tax.

America was a lot better country before all the manufacturing jobs left. Now it's a race to the bottom. This can't possibly end well for the middle class.
A trade war is somehtig that would do more harm than good. just ookig at the infaltion not to counht the exports it woukd hurt makes it not even considered. I have to wander if people watch anything but talkingheads and entertainment these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Florida
725 posts, read 1,321,732 times
Reputation: 1146
You are lead to believe that corps have moved their manufacuring overseas for cheap labor.
That is only part of it.
The other part has to do with their long range plan to dismantle and destroy the US.

You cannot get a license to built anything. You would be lucky to be allowed to assemble a product with parts you bought from Asia.

You do know don't you, that the US was once totally independent. We need absolutely NOTHING from any where else in the world. Something imported was exotic.

After WWII they began to move more and more companies. The very nations we spilled our blood defeating were the ones we spent our $$ building up. Fine cameras began coming from Japan. White sewing machine co. built a factory there. And so many more I can't list.
Then in 1965 there was Immigration Reform. This allowed immigrants from 3rd world countries to come here. And there was a flood of them. This has been destroying our integrety as Americans. There are about 150,000,000 true Americans left. The new people hold allegances elsewhere.

You have also noticed that our educational standards have slipped badly. This part has been going on for even longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 02:26 PM
 
8,268 posts, read 10,377,187 times
Reputation: 4748
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
The other part has to do with their long range plan to dismantle and destroy the US.
This doesn't pass the common sense test. If corporations benefit and enrich themselves from the US capitalist system what benefit would it be to destroy said US? Furthermore at what point in the evolution of a company do you think they are invited to join this cabal to dismantle and destroy the US? If I'm a hardworking successful grocer and start opening more and more stores do I one day get this weird notion that I'm evil and need to destroy the US? Does some black cape come in the mail that I don? Come on man think, this makes no sense.

Quote:
You cannot get a license to built anything. You would be lucky to be allowed to assemble a product with parts you bought from Asia.
Complete and utter BS. I've been involved with several many small companies that built things, there are standard for compliance especially when you're talking RF etc. but to claim anyone is "lucky" to get some license to build anything is the sound of nonsense, the sound of someone who has never attempted to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 02:27 PM
 
26,890 posts, read 38,142,724 times
Reputation: 34839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansen View Post
I really don't want to believe it. I'm not saying blue collar workers/line workers deserve dirt, because they don't, but you have to be competitive, especially in this global manufacturing market. At some point the standard for line work will increase again once the world catches up, but in the meantime you have to be competitive. I have seen it mentioned that plants have popped up in the south were workers generally earn much less, but still are able to live comfortably, i think their example should be followed.

Here is my viewpoint/idea, if we really want to bring our economy back we need to buy american. Yes, buying only American will be more expensive in any circumstance, but it would be worth it in every aspect. From what i understand the Canadians do fairly well with this, and part of the reason why things are more expensive there. That said, theoretical point. While we are waiting for the rest of the world to catch up we should just buck up and take the pay cuts to become competitive. If you are happy with said modest lifestyle then great, but for many it would be a great opportunity for debt-less advancement per say. Many young people who graduate from high school have no way of paying for higher education and are fiscally responsible enough to realize that taking out a huge loan is not always a very good idea to pay for school. So working for any given plant and going to school for how ever many years would be a great way to achieve this. I'm planning on doing some sort of blue collar/physical labor as long as i need to in order to pay for my school/life in the meantime. If there was a plant nearby that i could work for in the meantime i would.

Thoughts??
You don't have to. Over the next few years jobs will be returning to the US from China. In fact, it's already starting. The manufacturing companies on the south coast of China are increasing wages and benefits to their workers and, as a result, the cost to produce there is close to the cost to produce here.

I just read this in a newspaper while traveling last week and for the life of me I can't remember which one. The company mentioned (in China) is the one that has had a number of employees commit suicide recently and produces parts for a lot of US companies, including Apple. There was a thread in Science and Technology or Science and Technology/Computers here on CD a while back about the suicides. If I can find more about the article I'll post it.

The article about the suicides: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...des/index.html

The company is Foxconn.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 07-17-2010 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 02:58 PM
 
16,701 posts, read 18,917,881 times
Reputation: 6798
It is only dead if our governments do nothing... the overseas job market is filled (okay, OVERFILLED) with cheap labor... the only way to even it is to put a tariff on it so that it evens the playing field.... HOWEVER, putting a tariff would upset the world community and also unlevel the playing field with domestic producers who will price fix for higher profits... so what are we going to do? Not much... so production will have to come down in the US in order for consumers to get better deals... Its a much more complicated game out there... if I can spend a good amount of time, I could probably figure out a way to even everything out... however, America isn't paying me to figure out its problems and I need to eat so forget it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 08:40 PM
 
25,631 posts, read 29,117,065 times
Reputation: 23049
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It is only dead if our governments do nothing... the overseas job market is filled (okay, OVERFILLED) with cheap labor... the only way to even it is to put a tariff on it so that it evens the playing field.... HOWEVER, putting a tariff would upset the world community and also unlevel the playing field with domestic producers who will price fix for higher profits... so what are we going to do? Not much... so production will have to come down in the US in order for consumers to get better deals... Its a much more complicated game out there... if I can spend a good amount of time, I could probably figure out a way to even everything out... however, America isn't paying me to figure out its problems and I need to eat so forget it....
Here is a great plan to help stabilize job loss and promote job creation. I ran across it when reading the WSJ. Lynn Tilton is promoting this to the Gov but it has fallen on deaf ears. Why because it might actually help solve the problem.

See The SME Rescue Loans Program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
547 posts, read 1,367,437 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansen View Post

Here is my viewpoint/idea, if we really want to bring our economy back we need to buy american. Yes, buying only American will be more expensive in any circumstance, but it would be worth it in every aspect. From what i understand the Canadians do fairly well with this, and part of the reason why things are more expensive there. That said, theoretical point. While we are waiting for the rest of the world to catch up we should just buck up and take the pay cuts to become competitive. If you are happy with said modest lifestyle then great, but for many it would be a great opportunity for debt-less advancement per say. Many young people who graduate from high school have no way of paying for higher education and are fiscally responsible enough to realize that taking out a huge loan is not always a very good idea to pay for school. So working for any given plant and going to school for how ever many years would be a great way to achieve this. I'm planning on doing some sort of blue collar/physical labor as long as i need to in order to pay for my school/life in the meantime. If there was a plant nearby that i could work for in the meantime i would.

Thoughts??
There are many flaws with your argument. But, as a Canadian, I can testify that we buy more American than Canadian goods. Cars are indeed more expensive, but we're still buying the same cars as Americans.

If we bought more Canadian goods, then Americans would lose even more jobs. Such is the fallacy with protectionism, everybody loses if we stop trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Tampa
3,981 posts, read 9,242,776 times
Reputation: 1164
manufacturing jobs will return, but dont assume they will need many employees.

we are in the age of robots, and they will be used everywhere.

The Automated Workplace: Robots On The Rise (Infographic)

why pay a person to do something a robot can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 09:57 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
56 posts, read 265,570 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You don't have to. Over the next few years jobs will be returning to the US from China. In fact, it's already starting. The manufacturing companies on the south coast of China are increasing wages and benefits to their workers and, as a result, the cost to produce there is close to the cost to produce here.

I just read this in a newspaper while traveling last week and for the life of me I can't remember which one. The company mentioned (in China) is the one that has had a number of employees commit suicide recently and produces parts for a lot of US companies, including Apple. There was a thread in Science and Technology or Science and Technology/Computers here on CD a while back about the suicides. If I can find more about the article I'll post it.

The article about the suicides: China, company seek answers to rash of suicides - CNN.com

The company is Foxconn.
Buddy you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think manufacturing jobs will return to the US. China will raise wages as their standard of living continues to develop. However, there are many other developing nations that are very willing to pick up where China will eventually leave off in regards to manufacturing mass consumer products.

These jobs are gone and they will never come back. Walmart will not be made in the USA, ever.

By the way, the US suicide rate is roughly 11.1 per 100,000 people, which is MUCH higher than the Foxconn plant, which employs roughly 400,000 people. It makes for a sensational story, however you must read between the lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top