U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:45 AM

436 posts, read 751,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'd have no problem paying extra for that product that is "Made in America"
I fear if certain trends do not reverse we will be a 3rd world nation within 10 years, we are literary gutting this country of jobs, and politicians and business leaders are getting wealthy on the demise of this country. Major change is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 03:46 AM

634 posts, read 960,680 times
The Americans don't need to buy "Made in USA" products to save the manufacturing in this country! That's the worst thing a person can do (buying american products when the price is not competitive).
The American companies are not competitive and it's not because of the labor costs or regulations (countries like Germany or Japan compete with China even though they have high salaries, a lot of benefits and stricter regulations). The problem is that the American companies were used to waste a lot of money! This has to change! And I've seen that a lot of companies are switching to Lean Six Sigma and other strategies that help cutting the waste!

Old 10-10-2010, 08:43 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,242,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
The Americans don't need to buy "Made in USA" products to save the manufacturing in this country! That's the worst thing a person can do (buying american products when the price is not competitive).
The American companies are not competitive and it's not because of the labor costs or regulations (countries like Germany or Japan compete with China even though they have high salaries, a lot of benefits and stricter regulations). The problem is that the American companies were used to waste a lot of money! This has to change! And I've seen that a lot of companies are switching to Lean Six Sigma and other strategies that help cutting the waste!
Could save alot of money by maxing executive salaries!

when I worked at chase, one year 5 people took home a combined 100 million. I guess the thousands of lay offs they had that year helped...

Old 10-10-2010, 01:13 PM

634 posts, read 960,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Could save alot of money by maxing executive salaries!

when I worked at chase, one year 5 people took home a combined 100 million. I guess the thousands of lay offs they had that year helped...
Usually those people deserve those money! In manufacturing the salaries of the CEOs are not that big! There are hundreds of thousands of factories in US. Just because 5-10 executives make over 2-3 millions doesn't mean all do! And usually those who make those money work for them and also have a solid education and experience!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:34 AM

9,078 posts, read 5,659,334 times
Quote:
Quote:
Usually those people deserve those money! In manufacturing the salaries of the CEOs are not that big! There are hundreds of thousands of factories in US. Just because 5-10 executives make over 2-3 millions doesn't mean all do! And usually those who make those money work for them and also have a solid education and experience!
Keep drinking the Kool-aide...

Old 10-11-2010, 10:02 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,242,776 times
Quote:
I doubt many of the top people in the fortune 500 deserve the money they get.

they just go in, get as much as they can for themselves, then bail when it starts getting bad...

Old 01-18-2011, 03:03 PM

352 posts, read 141,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansen View Post
I really don't want to believe it. I'm not saying blue collar workers/line workers deserve dirt, because they don't, but you have to be competitive, especially in this global manufacturing market. At some point the standard for line work will increase again once the world catches up, but in the meantime you have to be competitive. I have seen it mentioned that plants have popped up in the south were workers generally earn much less, but still are able to live comfortably, i think their example should be followed.

Here is my viewpoint/idea, if we really want to bring our economy back we need to buy american. Yes, buying only American will be more expensive in any circumstance, but it would be worth it in every aspect. From what i understand the Canadians do fairly well with this, and part of the reason why things are more expensive there. That said, theoretical point. While we are waiting for the rest of the world to catch up we should just buck up and take the pay cuts to become competitive. If you are happy with said modest lifestyle then great, but for many it would be a great opportunity for debt-less advancement per say. Many young people who graduate from high school have no way of paying for higher education and are fiscally responsible enough to realize that taking out a huge loan is not always a very good idea to pay for school. So working for any given plant and going to school for how ever many years would be a great way to achieve this. I'm planning on doing some sort of blue collar/physical labor as long as i need to in order to pay for my school/life in the meantime. If there was a plant nearby that i could work for in the meantime i would.

Thoughts??
Two Questions for you or anyone who thinks they know the answer.

1. What Nation leads the world in Manufacturing (largest value of manufactured goods produced)?

2. What Nation leads the world in the export of manufactured goods?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:56 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,872,014 times
Manufacturing will be fine when we are able to field workers for... say $2/hour.

As for me...I am preparing to lead a lifestyle of much greater simplicity and hardship.

Call me a pessimist...that is fine. I'm actually fine with simplicity and forgoing creature comfort.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:08 PM

24,726 posts, read 26,794,844 times
Manufacturing isn't permanently dead. But it's going the way of farming...Farming now employs less than 2% of the population because so much of it has been mechanized/automated. Same thing for manufacturing. Because of automation, it's just never going to employ the same number of people that it used to, even if we never ship another manufacturing job overseas.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:20 PM

24,726 posts, read 26,794,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Same here. I look for a Made in America label. I despise sending any more money to china.
I personally more people would think this way when the fill up the gas tanks of their SUVs. Almost 50% of our trade deficit is in OIL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates