Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 02:06 PM

583 posts, read 1,252,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
America has a long love affair with cars. Many people view their cars as expressions and extensions of themselves....that's why you see so many crammed with unnecessary items ( big chrome rims, T.V. monitors in the headrests, systems with 200 speakers). Back in the day every day drivers were customized with huge big block engines, way more power than was needed, just so guys could show off whose car had the most power ( muscle cars).

I say that to say the automobile is, besides clothes and jewelry, the most obvious and visible symbols ( very important word) of "wealth". You can't drive your mansion (unless you've got one of those big fancy motor homes) around town.
Everything can be a symbol of something. It's up to us to interpret these symbols. Sure, I cannot disagree that an expensive car or designer clothing or a big house can indicate wealth. The key here is 'CAN', because it's not and never a sure indicator of wealth. Until you start looking at someone's financial records and I mean really looking at them you cannot really know if someone is wealthy. Everyone who understands this would not use 'symbols' of wealth to judge actual wealth.

Those who use symbols to judge wealth often get mislead. For example, a girl who looks at a car a potential boyfriend drives as a reliable indicator of his financial solvency (and I've met quite a few in my lifetime who were upfront about it) is easily deceived by guys with less then solvent financial futures. Men usually use things like watches, cars and sometimes designer clothing to attract women because they expect that women are more willing to date men who are better off financially. Their way to advertise their financial security is by purchasing the things that are not easy to obtain by those who are poor. Alternatively, guys who don't have much financial security in the first place also can 'purchase' or even rent such items even if it means debt in order to do the same. That's how not so bright gold digger-wanna be types get taken for a ride
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 02:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
America has a long love affair with cars.

Back in the day every day drivers were customized with huge big block engines, way more power than was needed, just so guys could show off whose car had the most power ( muscle cars).
If you are going to drive, being able to accelerate quickly is pretty important. I would hate to be in traffic where someone pulls out of a parking lot or side street in front of me and just creeps ahead. So, rapid acceleration to the speed of traffic is pretty important.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If you are going to drive, being able to accelerate quickly is pretty important. I would hate to be in traffic where someone pulls out of a parking lot or side street in front of me and just creeps ahead. So, rapid acceleration to the speed of traffic is pretty important.
This is true, but you don't need a car that can do sub-12 second quarter miles to accelerate well in traffic. Those are the kinds of mods I'm talking about.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:45 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
i thought u said u take public transportation everywhere?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:46 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
Everything can be a symbol of something. It's up to us to interpret these symbols. Sure, I cannot disagree that an expensive car or designer clothing or a big house can indicate wealth. The key here is 'CAN', because it's not and never a sure indicator of wealth. Until you start looking at someone's financial records and I mean really looking at them you cannot really know if someone is wealthy. Everyone who understands this would not use 'symbols' of wealth to judge actual wealth.

Those who use symbols to judge wealth often get mislead. For example, a girl who looks at a car a potential boyfriend drives as a reliable indicator of his financial solvency (and I've met quite a few in my lifetime who were upfront about it) is easily deceived by guys with less then solvent financial futures. Men usually use things like watches, cars and sometimes designer clothing to attract women because they expect that women are more willing to date men who are better off financially. Their way to advertise their financial security is by purchasing the things that are not easy to obtain by those who are poor. Alternatively, guys who don't have much financial security in the first place also can 'purchase' or even rent such items even if it means debt in order to do the same. That's how not so bright gold digger-wanna be types get taken for a ride
I agree with everything your saying and that is my point. This can be a very superficial society we live in, and there are people who take advantage of that. Like the commecial said, "image is everything"

Old 09-16-2009, 09:21 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,292 times
Quote:
I agree with everything your saying and that is my point. This can be a very superficial society we live in, and there are people who take advantage of that. Like the commecial said, "image is everything"
Image isn't everything. The only people that think that are those who've been hoodwinked by Madison Avenue...the marketeers who've sold us stuff we don't need and really could care less about know that.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
i thought u said u take public transportation everywhere?
Actually, I said that I walk everywhere. Costs less.

But I don't like riding in cars with people who mosey out in traffic and make oncoming traffic hit their brakes to avoid them.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:18 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,901 times
Sorry. Mom is wrong on this one. Why would you celebrate your achievement by establishing more debt? I drive a PAID FOR honda and I will drive it to the wheels fall off. You have your head on right to pay down your student debt and have money to live/travel/give to charity rather than trying to impress the Jone's with your new bmw/mercedes.

This is such a horrible problem especiallly in the african american community. Taking on debt to portrait an image. It reminds me of that old children's story: "The Emperor Has No Clothes". You remember where the whole town was telling him how great his clothes looked until someone told him the truth that he didn't have any clothes on.

I have encountered men who live lifestyles like this: shinny new cadillac cts, coogi clothing, nice sneakers, and $20 till pay day all the time..............I'm like are you stupid, slow, or retarded with your thinking? Needless to say they are never relationship material either because they bring debt and partnering with people with this mentality will only bring me down.

Rock your honda girl. Treat yourself to a vacation with your friends and focus on reducing your debt. You are a bright woman and your mother should be proud of your mentality.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The car syndrome usually wears off after one gets out of being a pre and post teen;but not in all people. If you can afford the car no problem but many really can't.
It's funny.... my nearly 40 year old brother in law recently bought a brand new Mercedes. AND that's because he didn't like his 2 year old BMW anymore, AND because the Jeep he owns is apparently only a "recreational vehicle" and not one that he can use on a day-to-day basis because the A/C isn't cool enough (I think that was the reason at least). His wife has her own Lexus as well, although it is older in fairness.

No, he can't afford it. Yes, he's an idiot.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
It's funny.... my nearly 40 year old brother in law recently bought a brand new Mercedes. AND that's because he didn't like his 2 year old BMW anymore, AND because the Jeep he owns is apparently only a "recreational vehicle" and not one that he can use on a day-to-day basis because the A/C isn't cool enough (I think that was the reason at least). His wife has her own Lexus as well, although it is older in fairness.

No, he can't afford it. Yes, he's an idiot.
My wife and I each have 2 cars - a sedan and an SUV. Then there is the Pickup truck used to haul the Trailers.

I can understand your BIL's complaint about the A/C - especially during the summer!

So, I don't understand why you seem to be complaining about your BIL's choice of cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates