Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:19 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
The U.S has a higher human development index than Germany and Great Britain
List of countries by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But the question you posed was whether Americans would live there. Then you posted a bunch of countries that are obviously not big attractions for immigrants. I was simply pointing out how intellectually dishonest it is to try to boost America by comparing it to nations that are out of its class. It's the classic ignorant American outlook that the world is America and a bunch of hellholes.

And 14 countries are still ahead of America, almost all of them in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 02:22 PM

709 posts, read 1,766,871 times
Quote:
And 14 countries are still ahead of America, almost all of them in Europe.
If you were a Brit or a German would you be embarassed that your country ranked lower than the United States in the human development index ? Look at how low Great Britain and Germany have fallen.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:01 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
If you were a Brit or a German would you be embarassed that your country ranked lower than the United States in the human development index ? Look at how low Great Britain and Germany have fallen.
Considering that the US is the wealthiest country in the world, and doesn't refrain from bragging about the amounts of opportunity here, no. Actually we should be embarrassed as Americans to be so low while working with so much. Obviously something here is being done wrong.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:18 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
Not really. We're just more aware of what's going on, thanks to news and instant communication, than we used to be.

Plus, every generation laments how things were better. It isn't necessarily so.
I agree with this for the most part...it's out there now, seemingly everywhere, whereas before we might not have known to what extent, if at all.

I think there were points in history when society tried to clean up a bit, regulate/over-regulate, always attempting to control what was considered moral or legal (subjective to the times)...but basically we've always had such a variance in behavior. Humans have always done incredibly awful things, just by evolving method (and some times not).

The numbers have changed as the population continues to grow. More people, more people to do. Social mores, not what it used to be, but how much of that was a facade anyway? I start to wonder.

We could make better of this, if not perfect.

Last edited by 33458; 06-19-2009 at 04:36 PM..

Old 06-19-2009, 05:45 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Everyone I talk to complains about the sick American culture. They say America and its society and culture has hit a new low and we are dying as a country. They bring up the crazy things on TV, popular culture, drugs, failing schools, obesity, our failing economy, drug use, violence, children born into one parent households, etc, etc.

Yes, America and its society has serious problems but is our culture and society really that much sicker than any time in our past?
I will give you my opinion as an outsider, and as someone who has not read any other replies. Also someone who is a British citizen through marriage and a Irish citizen through birth. I say this because I am part of many different forums on this side of the world and the other.

What I have come to read, and understand, is that the USA is a laughing joke. I do not mean it out of disrespect, I am just quoting what I read. It seems that out of a lot of different cultures the USA puts style, money and prominence over all else. That is what they feel. Maybe Hollywood is to blame as there is no Hollywood else were. One of the examples I remember reading is this " USA is like the toddler having a tantrum, if they do not get their way they have a fit" A lot of different Countries have different priorities than the USA.

It seems to be the belief that the USA feel their standards are better and if no one lives up to that then so God help them. I personally do not have issues with the States. I feel they are very open and divers in their culture. But I also think they allow a lot more in their Country then anyone else. If that makes sense.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 PM

709 posts, read 1,766,871 times
Quote:
Considering that the US is the wealthiest country in the world, and doesn't refrain from bragging about the amounts of opportunity here, no. Actually we should be embarrassed as Americans to be so low while working with so much. Obviously something here is being done wrong.
What do you think the Brits and Germans are doing wrong ? What do the Brits and Germans have to do in order to surpass the U.S in HDI and leave them behind in the dust ?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:18 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Why does it always have to be about 'surpassing' each other? What is so enticing about feeling that you are 'better'? Is competition or reason for existence?

Old 06-20-2009, 10:09 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
Every year some one points to another way society is failing, and it's yet to be proven right. You can look all the way back in history to written records when people started playing soccer. There was a bishop who wrote how the playing of soccer was the start of the fall of society because it let the devil into people's souls...actually getting the support of local politicians and religious leaders banning it in many towns in Europe. The temperance movement though society was going to hell because of alcohol, starting in 1789...not that the country did between then and prohibition, or any time after that because of it. The Legion of Decency was formed to fight indecent films in 1934 because they thought that films were sick and indecent, and culture was sicker then it had ever been.

Even if people point to something they don't like, it's not like things were all clean like a Disney film in the past. Life was hard and brutal on average compared to now, life expectancies in the 40's till 1900...which was okay since often people wanted to end it all by 20. Watching executions was certainly a fun activity in the middle ages. Films before 1934 (when the decency act was put in) would be racy even by standards now, stag films would be doing stuff you could get put in jail for even now (shush, it's research).

Life is certainly different, and the rate of change is faster then any time in history. It does not mean it's bad.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:12 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,591,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Everyone I talk to complains about the sick American culture. They say America and its society and culture has hit a new low and we are dying as a country. They bring up the crazy things on TV, popular culture, drugs, failing schools, obesity, our failing economy, drug use, violence, children born into one parent households, etc, etc.

Yes, America and its society has serious problems but is our culture and society really that much sicker than any time in our past?
Well, no... up until about 35 years ago, we still had Jim Crow laws in effect in much of the US. Discrimination against minorities and females was legal and status quo. The mentally ill and handicapped were treated worse than animals.
Nobody really had civil rights or protections except for straight, white males.

So, no; anybody who thinks the US was "better" at any time in history up until now probably is a straight, white male who wishes he still received preferential treatment at the expense of everybody else.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:23 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
LBGT people and their family and friends are celebrating with them. If you are straight, conservative or disinterested then don't celebrate and don't attend. It's that easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post

And now people have to be politicaly correct and accept untraditional things. If someone doesnt approve of gay marriage/sex changes/single mothers they are considered hateful people. I heard june is LGBT month. Why do we need a month to celebrate them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates