Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 08:44 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,506,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This is very wrong. I work in IT and weekly I check on available jobs (just in case). I could quit today and have a job within a week. I know of more than a few companies here in Pittsburgh that are struggling to find good people in IT. And about overseas, that is mostly BS. The ONLY people in IT we have laid off are our overseas contractors. Smart IT workers are in very high demand in the US. To say otherwise shows you don't know anything from real experience and are only parroting what the common (and incorrect) sentiment is.

Engineering is the same way. An Engineer (especially mechanical, chemical and electrical) could graduate today and find a job within a week. I personally know a few people who simply can't find engineers to hire.
My company turns a LOT of people down every week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 08:25 AM

35,932 posts, read 30,469,451 times
Quote:
Engineering is the same way. An Engineer (especially mechanical, chemical and electrical) could graduate today and find a job within a week. I personally know a few people who simply can't find engineers to hire.
My stbx had been unemployed for a bout a yr. (mechanical engineer) cant find anything in our area. Maybe you could hook him up.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:36 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,155,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
My company turns a LOT of people down every week.
Try to look at more than one company. You are making assumptions for an entire industry based on your company, while I am following industry-wide trends for several cities (places I might want work next). It would be foolish to tell someone not to get into IT in today's economy.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,155,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
My stbx had been unemployed for a bout a yr. (mechanical engineer) cant find anything in our area. Maybe you could hook him up.
Come out to Pittsburgh. He would have a job in no time.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:38 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,087,136 times
you could be right but i think more than anything scared very very scared of change especially success.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:34 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,839,646 times
People with degrees are not as smart as they think.

Okay...you have a sheepskin...now what...your depending on someone else to hire you and bemoan the fact your not employed.

The smart people are those who own a business and hire employees. They are the ones with the guts and ambition to work many hrs with low income inorder to build a sucessful enterprise.

NO NO NO...they are NOT building the enterprise on the backs of the employees as many believe.

Go by any industrial park at night and see the lights on where small time owners are working late or on weekends to make ends meet. These are the smart people who will build a small or large enterprise over time.

I know it's a fact...I was one of those people.

If you have the smarts... take your college degree and go into business for yourself instead of waiting for someone to hire you.

Steve

Old 06-30-2009, 01:48 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,593,649 times
Quote:
If you have the smarts... take your college degree and go into business for yourself instead of waiting for someone to hire you.
That takes capital. The modern college system is set up these days to put kids deep in debt by the time they get a degree.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:58 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,506,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Try to look at more than one company. You are making assumptions for an entire industry based on your company, while I am following industry-wide trends for several cities (places I might want work next). It would be foolish to tell someone not to get into IT in today's economy.
Okay, I was looking to go somewhere new last year. No other company where I'd be working in the same field as I am now was willing to hire me...or at least not at the level of pay I'm already making. I probably checked into 7 or 8 places, and only two let me apply. For less money.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:23 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

The smart people are those who own a business and hire employees. They are the ones with the guts and ambition to work many hrs with low income inorder to build a sucessful enterprise.

Go by any industrial park at night and see the lights on where small time owners are working late or on weekends to make ends meet. These are the smart people who will build a small or large enterprise over time.
Nobody's worried about the "smart people"---theyre doing just fine, and will do just fine, no matter what they do. Good of you to offer advice to the smart people. What would they do without you?

So, in your mental picture, we are going to slog along with inequities and lots of poor people, until everybody, as you suggest, owns his own business and hires . . . . . wait a minute---What employees?

Drive by that industrial park and, in your mental picture, switch off half of those lights. That's how many small business startups will go broke and close within four years, the entrepreneur jobless and with no income, but still burdened by the debt of their borrowed startup money. And their employees thrown out in the street. Encouraging small business startups is one of the totally stupid things that our economy is doing. In half of all cases, it destroys families, squanders their savings, throws them into personal bankruptcy, and leaves all the people they hired jobless. It plays on the gullibiiity of people who think they can run a business.

I'm sorry, Steve, you just haven't brought us any closer to solving the problem. You have proposed a plan that would make a few people very rich and everybody else just getting by. I think we already have such a plan in place. It's not working.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-30-2009 at 03:32 PM..

Old 06-30-2009, 03:47 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,496,294 times
But hye does have a point in that even with teh failure rate the majority of new jobs and much of the wealth in this country is increasingly coming from people who start their own business.Many of them have started businesses and failed only to succeed later. Its just a fact and always has been that people who work for others rarely become wealthy.Small business is by7 far the most increasing area where jobs of all salaries are being created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates