Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:46 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

False.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 10:10 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
So, now you think people who have manufactoring
jobs are stupid and lazy and turn a statement into
a question for debate ?

Amazing how you come up with this stuff? Agree?

Old 06-24-2009, 10:16 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I would have thought that "educated" and "hardworking" people such as the OP's friend's, might have some other concerns regarding those less fortunate than themselves. I think it's become a kind of sport to speculate on the reasons for poverty, American's are watching an inordinate amount of TV these days, that and the radio bluster kings, might account for this newfound body of social science professionals who got their degree from Jerry Springer University.

It is this type of conversation topic that allows these folks the dubious distinction of being able to speak through their trousers, what in the world makes people so full of opinions that are so ill informed? In the myriad of university texts dealing with the social constructs that support poverty, none seem inclined to stoop to pure speculation as a valid contribution to the body of work already standing.

A mountain of studies suggest that we have a permanent underclass due to the type of economic system that has prevailed since colonial times. We know that poverty has been a very old and pervasive condition, it has become a standard of measurement, utilized as an employment provider, the government maintains the status quo as a self serving enterprise, ostensibly helping the poor.

The best studies show the level of inteligence to be fairly equal between those very young children of the lowest and highest classes, it's after the effects of poverty have done their damage that the disparity shows up in testing. So, it looks as though poverty is a cause of lower testing scores, contrary to what some may believe.

While we can make our own observations as to the fact that lower IQ scores are a dominant factor in the lowest strata of our society, we can't ignore the cause, that is the beginning of any economic salvation for the least of our brethern. Sitting around with a group of people hell bent on revising the important conclusions reached by truly educated folk's, shows a lack of education at the very least, and a serious lack of compassion at most.
Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I disagree with this strongly, and believe attitudes like this are the reason for most of the flaws in society today. There is a name for someone who only works as hard as necessary - lazy. People need to take pride in their work. I work with far too many people who leave the office after exactly eight hours, regardless of what work needs to be done. I am happiest when I am effective and contributing to my company. Sometimes that requires working longer hours (without overtime pay). Since when did work become something you can't enjoy? I like my job. I enjoy coming to work every day... so on...
Enjoy. I'm sure glad we all don't live in your world. Just thinking about it takes me back about 147 years.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:21 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
No I don't agree, but that should be no surprise to you at all.

It must be so hard living up there in the ivory tower. It never ceases to amaze me that those who hold these attitudes and rail against those they consider less than themselves (and there seems to be an awful lot of the "lesser" human beings) always seem to be Pro-Life and anti public health and public education.

Might I suggest your friend who works in social services takes a long holiday and gets herself a nice attitude readjustment that she might learn to do her job properly and regain her compassion.

And you probably need to get yourself off the forum and get your nose back to the grindstone to ensure that one small slip up (like an illness) doesn't land you right down the bottom end with those you despise.
You really can't afford to be sitting around on your butts discussing the relative merits or lack there of, of the "underclass". There's money to be made, a "lifestyle" to maintain and we all know that condescension has a high price tag.

OR you could just change the inscription on the Statue of Liberty and quit with the false advertising.

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
A certain amount of comapasion is nice but WHY do so many people have children when they have to know they cannot afford to raise them decently? Most private and public health insurances pay 100% for vasectomies and tubal ligations!

Old 06-24-2009, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,792 times
Default Poverty

Poor people are in their situation because of their own poor choices, lack of education, and laziness. However, they blame the capitalist economy and the government for their problems. Thanks to the Liberals, they then become a burden to hard-working tax payers through entitlement programs.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:53 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goetz View Post
Poor people are in their situation because of their own poor choices, lack of education, and laziness. However, they blame the capitalist economy and the government for their problems. Thanks to the Liberals, they then become a burden to hard-working tax payers through entitlement programs.
The flaw here is that many poor people work and make their own money; and they DON'T take your precious tax dollar. Why is it everyone assumes that if one is 'poor,' one is on welfare? Do you people just need someone to look down on, or what?

I know a gentleman (brother of a friend of mine) and his wife who live WAY out in the middle of nowhere. It's a thirty-minute drive from a lonely country highway on dirt roads. He's basically off the grid. He makes very little money. But, then again, he needs very little money because he does his own growing, hunting, canning, wood chopping, etc. They are perfectly happy living the way they want to. By your standard they would certainly be considered dirt poor. Now you tell me why this man is a burden to you just because he is poor. He doesn't WANT or need anything from you. And you know what? I'll bet you couldn't do a days work that he does. I know I couldn't. So tell me how lazy he is.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:59 AM

324 posts, read 1,138,696 times
Quote:
I disagree with this strongly, and believe attitudes like this are the reason for most of the flaws in society today. There is a name for someone who only works as hard as necessary - lazy. People need to take pride in their work. I work with far too many people who leave the office after exactly eight hours, regardless of what work needs to be done. I am happiest when I am effective and contributing to my company. Sometimes that requires working longer hours (without overtime pay). Since when did work become something you can't enjoy? I like my job. I enjoy coming to work every day. If I hit the lottery, I wouldn't quit working, I enjoy being productive. I would suggest the exact opposite of GregW. Always do more than you are asked, always take the extra step. Doing the minimum to get by sounds like a sad way to live.

I think one of the greatest illnesses in society is a lack of personal responsibility. I think one of the reasons people are poor/unemployed/whatever (ONE OF, not the ONLY reason) is they expect someone else to solve their problems (the government usually). Your life will not get better unless you put the effort in to make it better. If your job requires 8 hours a day, work 9 and don't complain. People will notice. Buy books on new technologies/techniques for your job and read them in your free time. If you are poor/stuck at a dead end job, it is no one's fault but your own.

I know this might sound a little harsh, but no one helped me get to where I am now, and I know from personal experience that you can make something from nothing.

If you are required to work 8 hours a day, do it with pride and do your best.....however, work more and yes, people will notice. However, the cold hard truth is that when layoffs come along, promotions, etc....that person that went that extra mile is on the cutting block too just like the slackers.

I have a college degree, work my butt off at work each and everyday at my current job, have never had any discipline issues, and have never missed a day of work. Whatever my supervisor asks of me I do, without complaining. I am one of the best employees here. However, I refuse to be totally "loyal" because in the end each and every one of us could be put on that old choppin block. Work extra hours without pay? Do you honestly think they really care? No. They just gotta a sucker for an employee they take advantage of. That's why they "appreciate" you Period.

I too know you can make something out of nothing. Get an education and keep educating yourself.... I don't care how old you are you can always improve your skills.

I think some people do choose to be poor, while others just don't know how to break the cycle.

Last edited by centre; 06-24-2009 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-24-2009, 11:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centre View Post
If you are required to work 8 hours a day, do it with pride and do your best.....however, work more and yes, people will notice. However, the cold hard truth is that when layoffs come along, promotions, etc....that person that went that extra mile is on the cutting block too just like the slackers.

I have a college degree, work my butt off at work each and everyday at my current job, have never had any discipline issues, and have never missed a day of work. Whatever my supervisor asks of me I do, without complaining. I am one of the best employees here. However, I refuse to be totally "loyal" because in the end each and every one of us could be put on that old choppin block. Work extra hours without pay? Do you honestly think they really care? No. They just gotta a sucker for an employee they take advantage of. That's why they "appreciate" you Period.

I too know you can make something out of nothing. Get an education and keep educating yourself.... I don't care how old you are you can always improve your skills.

I think some people do choose to be poor, while others just don't know how to break the cycle.
I don't really agree with the part of your post I put in bold. My company just laid off 10% of all employees, and yet just last week I got a promotion (as an incentive to stick it out and not find a job at a more stable company). They are sending me to a three week training class (that will give me a certification I could easily use to find a different job, if I wanted to) next month. When I changed to the department I am in now, a vice president wouldn't let my boss interview anyone else, because he wanted me in the position. Maybe I am just lucky, but putting in the extra effort has worked out great for me.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:03 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,696 times
Quote:
I don't really agree with the part of your post I put in bold. My company just laid off 10% of all employees, and yet just last week I got a promotion (as an incentive to stick it out and not find a job at a more stable company). They are sending me to a three week training class (that will give me a certification I could easily use to find a different job, if I wanted to) next month. When I changed to the department I am in now, a vice president wouldn't let my boss interview anyone else, because he wanted me in the position. Maybe I am just lucky, but putting in the extra effort has worked out great for me.

Well, I wish you continued good luck

Old 06-24-2009, 12:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goetz View Post
How is materialism a positive choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates