Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 12:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
if you can live with yourself knowing that you are willing contributing to the torture & suffering of millions of animals, i feel sorry for you. i cannot. vegetarianism & veganism is the start of the process, not the end of it. i'll leave you with some words from some people who's opinions you might respect:

"To a man whose mind is free there is something even more intolerable in the sufferings of animals than in the sufferings of man. For with the latter it is at least admitted that suffering is evil and that the man who causes it is a criminal. But thousands of animals are uselessly butchered every day without a shadow of remorse. If any man were to refer to it, he would be thought ridiculous. And that is the unpardonable crime."
Romain Rolland, author, Nobel Prize 1915
"If a group of beings from another planet were to land on Earth -- beings who considered themselves as superior to you as you feel yourself to be to other animals -- would you concede them the rights over you that you assume over other animals?"
George Bernard Shaw, playwright, Nobel Prize 1925
"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."
Thomas Edison, inventor

Again, please answer this: why would I care? They are just animals.

Do you cry every time you kill a mosquito? Every time a bug hits the windshield of your car?

You have explained your view, but I still do not understand why this is a big deal. Help me with that first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 01:24 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
In your eyes, anyway. Speak for yourself, not other people.
Well thats the way mg420 and some of the other vegetarians attitudes seem to me when they claim "as cruelty free as possible" but that cruelty lies only on the shoulders of meat eaters because they out right kill the animal but they justify other forms of animal curelty if it suits their needs.

Quote:
What is more inhumane, slowly starving to death because there is a dunkin doughnuts where an animal used to eat, or being killed in a slaughterhouse?

At least the latter is useful to society, the former is the disgrace.
Thats exacty the point I was trying to make.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:35 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
if you eat beef you are not a vegetarian.
Of course not. But to eat meat occasionally in order to not hurt someones feelings would be the 'nice' thing to do. And my vegetarianism does not go above my desire to be kind.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:37 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I think this is in every other forum I've ever been in but seems to be missing here. Do you eat meat, or are you vegetarian (or are you an omnivore?)? What are your reasons for your choice?

For me, I sometimes eat meat. There isn't anything I would not eat if it was put on my plate. I might not like the texture, but since I have no taste buds, it has nothing to do with the taste. Probably because I was basically starved as a child, so I never want to pass up food. The only thing that keeps me from buying meat or fresh vegetables is the COST. Too expensive, really, to eat as an every day thing.
I went on a diet about 2 months ago and for that reason have cut out ALL high fat foods and seldom eat meat ; when i do its always chicken -- usually roasted . Ive been excersising every other day and survive on approx. 1200-1400 calories per day that includes Oatmeal for breakfast, SlimFast drink for lunch (or small salad with veggies/ or a big can of Soup) , and a low fat TV dinner for supper or a small StirFry dish . Ive lost 16 lbs so far and my goal is another 26 lbs. Prior to this diet, I used to eat quite a bit of chicken , fish, steak, pasta, pizza, beer , and chocolate. Ive never felt better since i went on this Diet which simply involves me eating sensibly and in smaller quantity ; I always felt that too much red meat is unwise in addition to all of the fast food chains. If i HAD to eat at a Fast Food chain, id pick Burger King and have their chicken tossed salad which was quite filling.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:58 PM

335 posts, read 939,169 times
I love how some meat eaters harp on about how annoying vegetarians are yet they have to throw in comments about their "big juicy steaks" while doing it. I see it all the time, it is hilarious.

I was vegetarian, I sometimes now will eat fish.
I don't understand how someone can be vegetarian yet eat meat once in awhile to not hurt someone's feelings. I once ate stuffing I did not realize had ground sausage and hamburger in it and I paid for it for hours!! So even if I wanted to eat a plate of sausage to not hurt my host's feelings I would not put my digestive system through that! A meat based thing like chicken broth would not have the same effect, and I am sure I have consumed that many times without knowing. Not a big deal. But I also will not make a big deal out of eating a meal, if they offer me sausage I will just say no thank you, and choose something else. I've never been somewhere there wasn't at least one thing I could eat.

Almost everywhere you go you can find something meatless to eat without making a special request, it is really not a big deal and I never even bring it up unless someone asks.

The bottom line for me is that everyone makes the choice that is best for them...whether it is all out veganism, trying out "meatless mondays," or simply cutting back on red meat for health reasons, it is a personal choice. Meat eaters and vegs alike should not be so judgmental.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:28 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personalensign79 View Post
I love how some meat eaters harp on about how annoying vegetarians are yet they have to throw in comments about their "big juicy steaks" while doing it. I see it all the time, it is hilarious.

I was vegetarian, I sometimes now will eat fish.
I don't understand how someone can be vegetarian yet eat meat once in awhile to not hurt someone's feelings. I once ate stuffing I did not realize had ground sausage and hamburger in it and I paid for it for hours!! So even if I wanted to eat a plate of sausage to not hurt my host's feelings I would not put my digestive system through that! A meat based thing like chicken broth would not have the same effect, and I am sure I have consumed that many times without knowing. Not a big deal. But I also will not make a big deal out of eating a meal, if they offer me sausage I will just say no thank you, and choose something else. I've never been somewhere there wasn't at least one thing I could eat.

Almost everywhere you go you can find something meatless to eat without making a special request, it is really not a big deal and I never even bring it up unless someone asks.

The bottom line for me is that everyone makes the choice that is best for them...whether it is all out veganism, trying out "meatless mondays," or simply cutting back on red meat for health reasons, it is a personal choice. Meat eaters and vegs alike should not be so judgmental.
If it were my cousin, I would have declined but since it was my mother in law who made this soup from scratch - well, I felt obligated to eat it. As it was I declined the roast chicken she also served.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:04 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times
I am an omnivore. I like meat. I like vegetables. Our family tries to avoid processed foods whenever possible, although that is quite difficult in modern America.

If someone prefers to have a different diet than I, more power to 'em. Just don't expect me to pay any attention to preaching.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
anyone who thinks that there is a humane way to consume animals is lying to themselves. the amount of suffering caused by factory farming is an abomonation. i will never understand anyone who can watch something like this and still eat meat:

Meet your Meat ! Watch this before you eat your next meal !!
You are wrong. I find it is possible to be quite humane when I hunt for my own meat. I could also raise livestock quite humanely as well.

Have you by chance ever watched a wild carnivore kill and eat another animal?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
About 99.9% of all individuals born in the animal kingdom will die a more horrible death than you can even imagine. The great majority of them will simply be dissolved alive in the stomach acids of something higher up the food chain. A lucky few will die more quickly, being crushed to death or ripped apart alive by teeth or talons. The ones eaten by humans die with the least discomfort of all. Humans who eat meat are doing animals a favor.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:24 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,532 times
Quote:
if you can live with yourself knowing that you are willing contributing to the torture & suffering of millions of animals, i feel sorry for you. i cannot. vegetarianism & veganism is the start of the process, not the end of it. i'll leave you with some words from some people who's opinions you might respect:

"To a man whose mind is free there is something even more intolerable in the sufferings of animals than in the sufferings of man. For with the latter it is at least admitted that suffering is evil and that the man who causes it is a criminal. But thousands of animals are uselessly butchered every day without a shadow of remorse. If any man were to refer to it, he would be thought ridiculous. And that is the unpardonable crime."
Romain Rolland, author, Nobel Prize 1915
"If a group of beings from another planet were to land on Earth -- beings who considered themselves as superior to you as you feel yourself to be to other animals -- would you concede them the rights over you that you assume over other animals?"
George Bernard Shaw, playwright, Nobel Prize 1925
"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."
Thomas Edison, inventor
Don't feel sorry for me...just pass the Heinz 57!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates