U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:35 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,391,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
You turned her into an outcast in her own home
Horse manure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 07:36 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,391,056 times
Quote:
Plenty of parents are.
Really? Well, if that is the case - perhaps you would support the government taking the children away from those terrible parents??

Old 06-26-2009, 07:37 PM

458 posts, read 1,137,782 times
Quote:
Then it's clear you did not support her decision. You turned her into an outcast in her own home because she chose to abstain from meat. Is that what you're saying? Is that how you treated your own child?
Ok so if my child comes to me and says she does not want to eat meat, the rest of us should stop eating meat to support her? What about us who still want to eat meat, should we hide in a closet to eat it.

When my daughter told me this is what she wanted, I accommodated her and the grocery list, I added vegi burgers and tofu etc, I should maybe add for your benefit she went SIX MONTHS not eating meat. It just so happened the ribs was the end of it. Even today she says she does not know what she was thinking, because she loves meat. She was 14 at the time trying to try new things. So what should I have done in your opinion?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:42 PM

10,005 posts, read 8,726,624 times
I believe in a balanced diet including meat in reasonable amounts. I also call horse manure on anyone who thinks vegetables are too expensive. Leafy green vegetables and beans are, pound for pound, some of the cheapest food products in a grocery store, on par with day old bread, if you think they are too expensive I am inclined to wonder what food you think is cheap. The problem is imho most people are too lazy to clean and cook them properly and thus will not go near them.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:16 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,807,086 times
I eat both.

For meat it's usually something like chicken or turkey, preferably grilled. I can do without the greasy fried stuff. I also try not to over do it with lots of fatty red meat and prefer to cook for myself.

I don't get what's so horrible about eating animals. Do they not kill and eat each other out in the wild? Why aren't we allowed to join in on the fun.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:34 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,544,119 times
Vegetarians are the better of the two, obviously. They drive hybrid cars, have larger frontal lobes than non-vegetarians, beat their children less and, believe it or not, their sh*t doesn't stink AT ALL!

Proud omnivore here. If someone wants to go against evolution, that's their own deal. Just don't preach it to me, because no we aren't meant to be vegetarians, yes I've done the research (anthropologically, biologically, chemically, and any other way you could possibly imagine) and it's absolutely impossible to get the right amino acid balance.

I lean toward veggies though. I'm more likely to crave a big salad with a bit of protein like grilled chicken than anything starchy or processed. I like a heavily plant based, low starch, high protein diet. It's what works best for my body.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:43 PM

1,733 posts, read 3,595,067 times
I am a vegetarian for a number of reasons. There is a lot of research that has shown that the human brain evolved much more quickly once our forebears began increasing the protein in their diets through meat. However, we have now gotten much further and can get our protein requirements from sources other than animals. So to me it it difficult to justify eating meat when there seems to be no nutritional reason to do so. In fact, some studies have shown that a properly planned vegan diet is the healthiest of all. I sometimes wonder why the question is generally framed in terms of why someone has chosen to be a vegetarian, as if it somehow needs a justification. I think when I started turning it around and asking myself why I ate meat I found myself not coming up with a reason that was compelling enough to justify it.

Although I think I became a vegetarian primarily for those reasons as the years have gone on I have come to feel that the most compelling reason of all are the detrimental environmental effects of people eating so much meat. It takes many more resources (land, energy, grain) to bring a pound of meat to a dinner table than a pound of beans or other non-animal products. Consider how much grain and food that a cow has to eat before it is ultimately divided up into meat for human consumption.

So one thing I always like to encourage people who do it meat is to consider eating less. Even if you are not swayed by moral arguments about the animals, eating less will help decrease the drain on our natural resources.

As a previous poster indicated, of course other animals do kill and eat in the wild. But for the most part such animals are unable to physically process vegetable matter. There are numerous omnivores, of course, such as bears and raccoons. But they do not have agriculture and transportation to be able to meet their nutritional needs in the same way we can.

I am not one of those vegetarians who hate non-vegetarians, etc. I am just trying to explain why I personally decided to become vegetarian. I would love to be vegan, but unfortunately I don't think I will be able to do that until I retire and am able to plan my meals more regularly and cook more often.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:48 PM

491 posts, read 840,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I am a vegetarian for a number of reasons. There is a lot of research that has shown that the human brain evolved much more quickly once our forebears began increasing the protein in their diets through meat. However, we have now gotten much further and can get our protein requirements from sources other than animals. So to me it it difficult to justify eating meat when there seems to be no nutritional reason to do so. In fact, some studies have shown that a properly planned vegan diet is the healthiest of all. I sometimes wonder why the question is generally framed in terms of why someone has chosen to be a vegetarian, as if it somehow needs a justification. I think when I started turning it around and asking myself why I ate meat I found myself not coming up with a reason that was compelling enough to justify it.

Although I think I became a vegetarian primarily for those reasons as the years have gone on I have come to feel that the most compelling reason of all are the detrimental environmental effects of people eating so much meat. It takes many more resources (land, energy, grain) to bring a pound of meat to a dinner table than a pound of beans or other non-animal products. Consider how much grain and food that a cow has to eat before it is ultimately divided up into meat for human consumption.

So one thing I always like to encourage people who do it meat is to consider eating less. Even if you are not swayed by moral arguments about the animals, eating less will help decrease the drain on our natural resources.

As a previous poster indicated, of course other animals do kill and eat in the wild. But for the most part such animals are unable to physically process vegetable matter. There are numerous omnivores, of course, such as bears and raccoons. But they do not have agriculture and transportation to be able to meet their nutritional needs in the same way we can.

I am not one of those vegetarians who hate non-vegetarians, etc. I am just trying to explain why I personally decided to become vegetarian. I would love to be vegan, but unfortunately I don't think I will be able to do that until I retire and am able to plan my meals more regularly and cook more often.
I completely agree with this post. Excellent.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
Ok so if my child comes to me and says she does not want to eat meat, the rest of us should stop eating meat to support her? What about us who still want to eat meat, should we hide in a closet to eat it.

When my daughter told me this is what she wanted, I accommodated her and the grocery list, I added vegi burgers and tofu etc, I should maybe add for your benefit she went SIX MONTHS not eating meat. It just so happened the ribs was the end of it. Even today she says she does not know what she was thinking, because she loves meat. She was 14 at the time trying to try new things. So what should I have done in your opinion?
I would have encouraged her to stick with it, but at 14, it very well may have been just a fad, anyway. That would explain her submitting to the ribs.

And no, you should continue eating meat, and should not have to stop simply because she decided to stop eating it. I misjudged your first post and was under a different impression, so I apologize.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Really? Well, if that is the case - perhaps you would support the government taking the children away from those terrible parents??
No, not in this situation. It would be uncalled for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates