U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 08:48 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,190,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Absolutely spot on! We're evolved omnivores for a good reason; the omnivores came out on top simply becuase they (we) are the most adaptable. This is NOT political commentary; that belongs on another thread. But strict veganism belongs in the trashbin.

I keep a vegan home and while I do not take personal offense to your statement...c'mon, let's not throw around ideas about putting other people's ideals into trashbins.

Anyway, I would argue that we are not "evolved omnivores" for a good reason. It is because people are greedy.

100 years ago, without refrideration, people did not have bacon at breakfast, chicken at lunch and steak for dinner. There were no factory farms and no drive thrus.

Granted, as you stated, we became "adaptable" and created a way to keep our meat frozen and therefore we were able to indulge in an otherwise luxury often.

We did not "adapt" out of need, just pure greed.

I am not vegan out of my home, but am vegetarian out of the home.

I have a great time out and am a fun girl I just choose not to muddy my days with the death of any animals for my food or clothing.

You can feel free to do what you will, for sure. But please do not assume that we are so smart, adaptable and somehow owed the right to eat animals. IMO, we are not...we just....do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 10:00 PM

10,838 posts, read 10,503,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post

100 years ago, without refrideration, people did not have bacon at breakfast, chicken at lunch and steak for dinner. There were no factory farms and no drive thrus.
I think there are some misconceptions here. You are right, they did not eat fresh meat every day 100 years ago. They dried it. They canned it. They jerked it. They salted it. Then they ate it. They also ate potatoes from the cellar (stored from growing season). They ate garden produce that they had canned or dried. They made bread from the wheat they ground to preserve it for winter.

Contrary to what seems to be a misconception nowadays, the vast majority did not eat fresh fruit every day. They did not eat fresh vegetables every day. Most of the world did not have the means to get fresh anything to eat except when it was in season in their part of the world. So, the only people who actually did more or less eat fresh fruit/produce daily are those who lived in tropical regions with year around growing.

In the temperate and/or colder regions, there was no fruit out of season eaten except that which was canned and stored. I caught the tail end of that lifestyle when I was very young with my grandparents. There was seldom anything fresh on the table. Their home-canned fruits, sauces, produce was pretty decent, though.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:35 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,975,325 times
Quote:
I keep a vegan home and while I do not take personal offense to your statement...c'mon, let's not throw around ideas about putting other people's ideals into trashbins.

Anyway, I would argue that we are not "evolved omnivores" for a good reason. It is because people are greedy.

Granted, as you stated, we became "adaptable" and created a way to keep our meat frozen and therefore we were able to indulge in an otherwise luxury often.

I have a great time out and am a fun girl I just choose not to muddy my days with the death of any animals for my food or clothing.

You can feel free to do what you will, for sure. But please do not assume that we are so smart, adaptable and somehow owed the right to eat animals. IMO, we are not...we just....do.
We started eating meat, several hundred thousand years ago, because it was a very good source of protein. Chimps eat meat, so do several other apes. Its not because they are greedy, its because their bodies saw benefits of eating meat, so they kept on doing it.

If we had no biological reason for eating meat, we wouldn't. Do you see people eating rocks? No, we don't have a gizzard like birds do. We have no biological need to eat rocks, birds do.

I have no problem with people only wanting to eat veggies, thats their business. I just don't like it when they start telling me I should only eat veggies.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:48 AM

260 posts, read 501,021 times
people who purchase meat are donating to animal cruelty:

YouTube - Goldfinger - Free Me

Old 07-23-2009, 07:24 AM

16,931 posts, read 22,171,229 times
Quote:

Incorrect. They ate meat, without refrigeration. Real bacon, for example, does not need refrigeration to keep. It would be a bit salty for most people today but is quite good nonetheless. Here's a supplies list from the Yukon gold rush of 1898 for instance: http://www.arcticwebsite.com/goldrushsupplies1898.html

And greed had nothing to do with it, especially tens of thousands of years ago before money even existed. We evolved to be omnivores because it enabled us to survive anywhere.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:20 AM

21,655 posts, read 21,557,199 times
Quote:
Incorrect. They ate meat, without refrigeration. Real bacon, for example, does not need refrigeration to keep. It would be a bit salty for most people today but is quite good nonetheless. Here's a supplies list from the Yukon gold rush of 1898 for instance: http://www.arcticwebsite.com/goldrushsupplies1898.html
Thats alot of food!
100 lbs of sugar!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:37 AM

14,090 posts, read 11,539,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think there are some misconceptions here. You are right, they did not eat fresh meat every day 100 years ago. They dried it. They canned it. They jerked it. They salted it. Then they ate it. They also ate potatoes from the cellar (stored from growing season). They ate garden produce that they had canned or dried. They made bread from the wheat they ground to preserve it for winter.

Contrary to what seems to be a misconception nowadays, the vast majority did not eat fresh fruit every day. They did not eat fresh vegetables every day. Most of the world did not have the means to get fresh anything to eat except when it was in season in their part of the world. So, the only people who actually did more or less eat fresh fruit/produce daily are those who lived in tropical regions with year around growing.

In the temperate and/or colder regions, there was no fruit out of season eaten except that which was canned and stored. I caught the tail end of that lifestyle when I was very young with my grandparents. There was seldom anything fresh on the table. Their home-canned fruits, sauces, produce was pretty decent, though.
Good points. Truthfully, meat is easier (and safer) to cure and store than vegetable matter. At least it was before the invention of the mason jar. Certain fruits an vegetables could be dried and stored, but not in sufficient quantity to stave off winter hunger. So, meat was taken, cut into strips, salted and dried. Since it required no container to store it in, it was a more practical food to store. Just hang it and eat it. Jerky will keep for quite some time, and the winter cold helped as well. Granted, this is not so much an issue today as it was for hunter gatherer societies, nevertheless, there is no reason to not eat meat if it appeals to you. I LIKE meat, and I have noe qualms about where it comes from. I raise an hunt my own, I do not rely on the grocery store. I know what my meat animals have been fed, and they are treated well. Not like a pet, certainly, but well nonetheless. My son has kept us supplied with pork for the last three years, from the greased pig scramble at the county fair, but last year was his last go with that. 13 is the cutoff. Have to buy our feeders now.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:11 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,190,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

And greed had nothing to do with it, especially tens of thousands of years ago before money even existed. We evolved to be omnivores because it enabled us to survive anywhere.

Greed had nothing to do with it thousands of years ago, you are right.

IMO, greed is currently a factor.

Some people on this board believe that we "need" the protein in meat.

I won't touch on that. However, nobody "needs" meat at every meal right, Can that be agreed on? If the point of eating meat is to gain that protein in your opinions?

So my point about greed is that so many people in the US are eating an abundance of meat. Therefore, the factory farming industry, Tyson etc. are just buying in to what people want (greed) so Tyson continues to mass produce chickens in horrendous conditions (greed) so that KFC can sell and extraordinary amount of Chicken to people who want it (greed)

(Again, dont fret I am not telling you what to eat or what not to eat here...)

I think that many people are so far removed from their food, burgers, nuggets etc. that few people consider the animal being eaten.

I am not proposing that everyone becomes a vegetarian, I would just like to see the majority of people think about their food. Consider the natural resources that went into it's growth, the farmer, the transport, the packaging.

The delicate cycle of food has changed drastically over the last 50 years or so and we should at the very least be questioning the intentions of those who are responsible for our food.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:29 AM

14,090 posts, read 11,539,522 times
Quote:
Greed had nothing to do with it thousands of years ago, you are right.

IMO, greed is currently a factor.

Some people on this board believe that we "need" the protein in meat.

I won't touch on that. However, nobody "needs" meat at every meal right, Can that be agreed on? If the point of eating meat is to gain that protein in your opinions?

So my point about greed is that so many people in the US are eating an abundance of meat. Therefore, the factory farming industry, Tyson etc. are just buying in to what people want (greed) so Tyson continues to mass produce chickens in horrendous conditions (greed) so that KFC can sell and extraordinary amount of Chicken to people who want it (greed)

(Again, dont fret I am not telling you what to eat or what not to eat here...)

I think that many people are so far removed from their food, burgers, nuggets etc. that few people consider the animal being eaten.

I am not proposing that everyone becomes a vegetarian, I would just like to see the majority of people think about their food. Consider the natural resources that went into it's growth, the farmer, the transport, the packaging.

The delicate cycle of food has changed drastically over the last 50 years or so and we should at the very least be questioning the intentions of those who are responsible for our food.
I have been to a couple big city slaughterhouses, and there is no comparison to how the meat industry there compares to ours out here. I was rather taken aback at the people working there and the general methodology. I was not impressed. Our meat animals out here are kept in clean conditions (yes...even the pigs, that are, in reality. a very clean animal if kept right) fed good feed, without growth hormones, and processed in a much better fashion. As I said, I raise my own meat, and hunt it as well, and do all my own cutting and wrapping, for the most part. There is an old guy that runs a small butcher operation here, and I LOVE his sausage and salami, so I will send my pork and some of my deer and elk to him. It's a different world out here as to how we get our meat. KFC.....YUCK.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:34 AM

8,698 posts, read 11,779,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
people who purchase meat are donating to animal cruelty:

YouTube - Goldfinger - Free Me
Don't understand why this guy limits his compassion to just one Kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates