U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 12:50 PM

20,054 posts, read 20,554,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I won't touch on that. However, nobody "needs" meat at every meal right, Can that be agreed on? If the point of eating meat is to gain that protein in your opinions?
My meat eating is not to gain protein, but I agree. Actually, nobody needs to eat everyday.

Quote:
So my point about greed is that so many people in the US are eating an abundance of meat. Therefore, the factory farming industry, Tyson etc. are just buying in to what people want (greed) so Tyson continues to mass produce chickens in horrendous conditions (greed) so that KFC can sell and extraordinary amount of Chicken to people who want it (greed)
I agree the greed lies with the large farming corporations. I do not agree that Americans are greedy because they eat meat everyday. If people have a problem with the way meat is processed, that is where they should focus their discontent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I would just like to see the majority of people think about their food. Consider the natural resources that went into it's growth, the farmer, the transport, the packaging.
I agree with this as well. Ive always said all school children should take a field trip to the slaughter house. Most city dwellers and kids these days dont have a clue where food comes from. I've had my neices and nephews vist and refuse to eat my eggs because "they came from a chickens butt".

I think my gkids are lucky to see first hand where food comes from. Last weekend we butchered some rabbits and excess roosters. They watched with interest as their necks were broken, skinned, defeatherd, the whole nine yards.
Their father takes them hunting and they help clean the kill. The oldest is mostly a vegetarian, but the youngest eats meat.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:16 PM

16,458 posts, read 21,499,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Greed had nothing to do with it thousands of years ago, you are right.

IMO, greed is currently a factor.

Some people on this board believe that we "need" the protein in meat.

I won't touch on that. However, nobody "needs" meat at every meal right, Can that be agreed on? If the point of eating meat is to gain that protein in your opinions?

So my point about greed is that so many people in the US are eating an abundance of meat. Therefore, the factory farming industry, Tyson etc. are just buying in to what people want (greed) so Tyson continues to mass produce chickens in horrendous conditions (greed) so that KFC can sell and extraordinary amount of Chicken to people who want it (greed)

(Again, dont fret I am not telling you what to eat or what not to eat here...)

I think that many people are so far removed from their food, burgers, nuggets etc. that few people consider the animal being eaten.

I am not proposing that everyone becomes a vegetarian, I would just like to see the majority of people think about their food. Consider the natural resources that went into it's growth, the farmer, the transport, the packaging.

The delicate cycle of food has changed drastically over the last 50 years or so and we should at the very least be questioning the intentions of those who are responsible for our food.
I do think the protein in meat is quite important, especially to someone who works a lot and in cold places. Too much protein can lead to protein poisoning though (the infamous rabbit starvation when someone lives off just rabbit meat is an example of that). No, no one needs to eat meat everyday, and I don't. But I don't feel good if I don't eat any in the course of a week, and I'm not going to rely on supplements to replace meat.

I'm quite familiar with the big slaughterhouses and factory farms...I don't touch the stuff if I can avoid it. My favorite meat is moose, second deer. Third beaver and fourth bear. I'm not a huge fan of bear meat though, it's generally very greasy. It's almost like pig meat in a way. Spring black bears are the best bears, much, much leaner since they've used up their fat reserves, but there's no spring bear season. After the bigger game meat...a bit of small game is nice for variety, rabbit, squirrel, grouse...I'm not a fan of waterfowl though. Grass fed beef is my preference if there's no wild meat to eat. Fast food? No way, I just about get sick from the smell of those places...

You are quite correct that most people are very removed from their food and know little to nothing about where it comes from. I'm quite thankful I did not grow up in a big city and I do know about this stuff.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:46 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,316,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Ok,

The problem with not hunting is that we have eliminated all of the natural predators for things like, deer, turkey, and countless other animals in our country.

So, do you want the deer just to run rampant, with no population control whatsoever? I'm sure anyone who has had a run in with a deer and the front of their car would beg to differ from your opinion.

I kill deer, I eat deer, its part of my heritage, as I have American Indian in my blood. I find hunting rewarding in ways that going to the grocery store and buying a steak just doesn't fulfill. If you choose not to hunt or not to eat meat, thats your business, but don't try and call me some evil person because I enjoy keeping the deer out of your yard.
When and why would we have done that? Are you saying people went out with rifles and hunted the predators down? Or that people started spreading out more and more and encroaching on the natural habitat of those predators?

I did not call you evil. I did not say that I didn't eat meat--in fact, I just had a couple hamburgers, from animals we have domesticated to serve that purpose. I'm just saying that once I "grew up", I found hunting to be unnecessary, since we domesticate animals for the purpose of eating them later.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:51 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,316,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I keep a vegan home and while I do not take personal offense to your statement...c'mon, let's not throw around ideas about putting other people's ideals into trashbins.

Anyway, I would argue that we are not "evolved omnivores" for a good reason. It is because people are greedy.

100 years ago, without refrideration, people did not have bacon at breakfast, chicken at lunch and steak for dinner. There were no factory farms and no drive thrus.

Granted, as you stated, we became "adaptable" and created a way to keep our meat frozen and therefore we were able to indulge in an otherwise luxury often.

We did not "adapt" out of need, just pure greed.

I am not vegan out of my home, but am vegetarian out of the home.

I have a great time out and am a fun girl I just choose not to muddy my days with the death of any animals for my food or clothing.

You can feel free to do what you will, for sure. But please do not assume that we are so smart, adaptable and somehow owed the right to eat animals. IMO, we are not...we just....do.
There were also techniques like pickling and curing, the use of vinegar to keep the meat safe longer, smoking the meat...

People probably ate meat because they were sick of gruel.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
When and why would we have done that? Are you saying people went out with rifles and hunted the predators down? Or that people started spreading out more and more and encroaching on the natural habitat of those predators?
Cant tell you right off the top of my head, but you can research it. Yes we eliminated the wolf and the big cat by hunting them to near extinction for pelts and bounty. why, humans are fearful, greedy and stupid. And we continue their demise thru encrochment.

Controlled hunting is necessary to manage populations. Yes eventually, nature would take care of this thru disease and starvation, but not before large populations would have peoples panties in a wad over envading their yards and gardens, causing accidents on the road ways, competing with domestic animals for food, spreading disease, etc. Hunting is a much more compasionate way to control populations and keep them viable.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:20 PM

481 posts, read 606,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Vegetarian. I won't support the meat industry. It's an ugly, violent, dangerous enterprise, and drains natural resources. I have saved thousands of dollars by giving up meat. I am, by far, healthier, and happier when I am not using my alimentary canal as a graveyard for animals. I shudder when I think about the stuff in meat. Lungs, tongues, livers, hearts, hairs, e coli, feces, urine, antibiotics, hormones, pesticides. You couldn't pay me any amount of money to eat meat. And, no, I am not pale, and near death, nor do I have a b 12 deficiency. I am 62 and can pass for 45.
It has been proven in studies that vegetarians are healthier overall, and tend to live longer than flesh-eaters.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:35 PM

We all know "studies" can be biased, have many variables and dont really prove anything.

Quote:
I am 62 and can pass for 45.
My grandma is 102 and looks and acts 80. She has eaten lard and animals by products nearly her entire life.

There ya go.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:58 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,395,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
It has been proven in studies that vegetarians are healthier overall, and tend to live longer than flesh-eaters.
Let me see now: Brocolli or a 1 1/2 inch Rib Eye - grilled to perfection over a Mesquite fire

Which one should I choose???

Old 07-23-2009, 04:04 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,382,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
I still think that's a dubious study. Contrasting a vegetarian against your typical on-the-go fast-fooder is not fairplay. Put vegetarians and omnivores who are conscious of their diets and their health head-to-head and I think that "proven" goes out the window.

Interesting sidebar - An omnivore who is consuming reasonable amounts of meat is necessarily going to have superior muscle performance during exercise or other hard exertion because he or she is going to have adequate stores of phosphocreatine in his or her body. It can be synthesized from amino acids that are present in a properly executed vegan or veggie diet, but not in the quantities that someone who includes fish, poultry and red meat can. If you have ever felt listless or suffered from a lack of energy on a veggie diet, its because you can't convert your adenosine diphosphate (ADP) to adenosine triphosphate (ATP) fast enough (that's what phosphocreatine does, just FYI).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates