U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 09:05 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,122,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Cick filet- EAT MORE CHICKEN!

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

really? of all your other posts this is what you want to be known by or this is what your next move is?

C'mon, 2mare, you are better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 11:53 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,075,019 times
Default A-hunting we will go! (Where's that Wasscally Wabbit?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
[snip]

You can feel free to do what you will, for sure. But please do not assume that we are so smart, adaptable and somehow owed the right to eat animals. IMO, we are not...we just....do.
I didn't say we were "owed" the right, but in a digestive sense, and dentition, and behavioral capabilites, we are direct descendants from functional omnivores simply because those capabilities afforded us the most opportunites for reproductive and cultural success when we emerged from the treetops, to gain the upper hand, as it were.

Meat can also be stored over the winter, in ice, in salt, even in mud, whereas most vegetation cannot. you can also continue to hunt in the fall, winter and spring, when you must otherwise wait for vegetation to pop up, mature and be ready for harvest. Fact.

Hunting is a time-honored activity, requiring skills, practice and patience. If done correctly, it also teaches a sincere respect for the natural world, and for the animals in it. In no way does it always represent a bunch of devolved, grunting snorting lesser man-beings.

I will admit that a lot of hunters are exactly that, but this also applies to daily commuters in the greater LA basin (I was just there!), men at football games, women at male stripper bars, college girls on spring break, guys at the NHRA drag or NASCAR races, folks at beer drinking or egg eating contests, and other fine examples of the human psyche.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:57 AM

29,633 posts, read 31,965,462 times
As a "foodie" I eat pretty much anything if it tastes good. I don't eat tons of meat, but I do eat it. I avoid the debate.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:07 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,331,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I didn't say we were "owed" the right, but in a digestive sense, and dentition, and behavioral capabilites, we are direct descendants from functional omnivores simply because those capabilities afforded us the most opportunites for reproductive and cultural success when we emerged from the treetops, to gain the upper hand, as it were.

Meat can also be stored over the winter, in ice, in salt, even in mud, whereas most vegetation cannot. you can also continue to hunt in the fall, winter and spring, when you must otherwise wait for vegetation to pop up, mature and be ready for harvest. Fact.

Hunting is a time-honored activity, requiring skills, practice and patience. If done correctly, it also teaches a sincere respect for the natural world, and for the animals in it. In no way does it always represent a bunch of devolved, grunting snorting lesser man-beings.

I will admit that a lot of hunters are exactly that, but this also applies to daily commuters in the greater LA basin (I was just there!), men at football games, women at male stripper bars, college girls on spring break, guys at the NHRA drag or NASCAR races, folks at beer drinking or egg eating contests, and other fine examples of the human psyche.
While I've been a hunter all my life, I respect the natural world. However, I do disagree with your "grunting snorting lesser man-being" comment, as I watch football, I have gone to strip clubs, I like college girls on spring break, and I watch NASCAR races. I've even been known to drink a beer every now and again.

Why do those things make me a "lesser man being". I only hunt what I can eat, I have a college education, and I have an engineering job.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:30 PM

Red face Me Tarzan, you Jane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
While I've been a hunter all my life, I respect the natural world. However, I do disagree with your "grunting snorting lesser man-being" comment, as I watch football, I have gone to strip clubs, I like college girls on spring break, and I watch NASCAR races. I've even been known to drink a beer every now and again.

Why do those things make me a "lesser man being". I only hunt what I can eat, I have a college education, and I have an engineering job.
No no, Memphis; my apologies if you took it that way. What I meant to criticize was the tone and judgement that vegans apply to us meat-eater, hunter, beer drinking guys, mostly. It seems to me that many vegans call out us hunter-gatherer, snorting beasts as distinctly lesser beings. And that they, the vegans, are thus so much more "evolved" than we are.

Being in touch with the natural world through just being out there in the blowing snow or crisp fall mornings, listening and watching quietly, gives you and I a very real edge in perception and understanding of the world. We hear and watch the squirrels getting ready for the winter, we watch the geese fly south (or north), we see the caribou herds swarming across Alaska, and their natural predators, the grizz and wolves, following on with great interest and intent. We're tuned in, as it were.

Those who criticize hunting and the related eating of meat as some sort of cruel behavior are denying their heritage, their own biological imperatives and ancestry, and many of the behavioral traits built in to our human genetics. Seems they'd rather shed those traits as somehow being diseased or impure or tainted.

I find the more dedicated and shrill vegans to be quite out of touch with nature, and their wack-a-loon solutions for a hungry world would simply not work from any rational ecological perspective.

Meantime, Memphis, my apologies again. Please... do enjoy your salami-topped pizza, your steak (elk, venison or beef), that grilled hamburger, and Bambi up on stage. Without acceptance of those primal urges, civilization as we know it would be doomed!

Old 07-26-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
No no, Memphis; my apologies if you took it that way. What I meant to criticize was the tone and judgement that vegans apply to us meat-eater, hunter, beer drinking guys, mostly. It seems to me that many vegans call out us hunter-gatherer, snorting beasts as distinctly lesser beings. And that they, the vegans, are thus so much more "evolved" than we are.

Being in touch with the natural world through just being out there in the blowing snow or crisp fall mornings, listening and watching quietly, gives you and I a very real edge in perception and understanding of the world. We hear and watch the squirrels getting ready for the winter, we watch the geese fly south (or north), we see the caribou herds swarming across Alaska, and their natural predators, the grizz and wolves, following on with great interest and intent. We're tuned in, as it were.

Those who criticize hunting and the related eating of meat as some sort of cruel behavior are denying their heritage, their own biological imperatives and ancestry, and many of the behavioral traits built in to our human genetics. Seems they'd rather shed those traits as somehow being diseased or impure or tainted.

I find the more dedicated and shrill vegans to be quite out of touch with nature, and their wack-a-loon solutions for a hungry world would simply not work from any rational ecological perspective.

Meantime, Memphis, my apologies again. Please... do enjoy your salami-topped pizza, your steak (elk, venison or beef), that grilled hamburger, and Bambi up on stage. Without acceptance of those primal urges, civilization as we know it would be doomed!
Dude, I don't know which vegans or vegetarians you are talking about but lumping us is just as offensive as us lumping you into a crowd.

Get over yourself. I too am a vegetarian who has a vegan home. I "watch" animals in awe just like you do and I even drink beer.

Damn, I was a Hooter girl for 3 years to pay for college. Throw your misconceptions of animal lovers out the window and lets move on with the discussion.

I'm not a "whack-a-loon" and you throwing around those terms makes you seem like one...

As for being a vegetarian working at a restaurant, all I can say is that I loved being able to recommend vegetarian options for those who inquired and I came across plenty of vegetarians. Cause we are out there - and we are ALL types of people.

While this forum is NOT about hunting, my football playing, beer drinking, golfing, masters degree holding husband does not agree with hunting or fishing but still has friends that do, as do I....

So the sooner you can get over that and get back on topic would be great.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:19 PM

Default But then again....

My apolioges. Say... didn't I notice you in hooters that time? I was the goof wearing the coonskin cap!

Anyhow, of course I refer, given the short writing opportunities of these posts, to the more, shall we say, shrill vegan perspective. I do tend to class philosophical "veganism" right up there as "wack-a-loon", as opposed to functional vegetarianism. Those who would stop me from hunting or eating meat for their poorly developed reasons will always inspire my ire.

If you or they choose to eat vegetarian, please, be my guest. I even prep. vegetarian dishes for several of my friends. I also bake bread for fun and food, but again:

If they, not you necessarily, want to tamp strict vegetarianism (stressing that "ism" part) down mine or anyone else's throat, and referencing the OP's open-ended invite to the question of "The Great Vegetarian Meat Debate", I will defend my right to stress out about their unrelenting position that meat eating is a vile and hostile and unnecessary form of animal cruelty and bad nutrition.

That part's strictly bunko, I hope you'll agree.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:36 PM

"unrelenting position that meat eating is a vile and hostile and unnecessary form of animal cruelty and bad nutrition"

I cannot disagree with this entire statement. Again, my husband eats "meat" maybe 6-8 times per year. Usually while on vacation or business in NYC, Vegas, New Orleans and most often at establishments that can answer all of his questions and inquiries.

On a bottom line, core level I do think that eating animals is otherwise wrong. I cannot answer for those who live in climates that are otherwise unable to grow vegetables, grains or beans. I also cannot comment on hunters in 3rd world countries who otherwise still stalk and kill their prey.

All I can say is the most recent, and seemingly new traditional practice of factory farming our food is disgusting, uncalled for and unsanitary.

I am not saying that everyone will be a vegetarian in my lifetime but I do think that factory farming WILL be outlawed withing my lifetime.

Perhaps my arguments are better suited for a factory farming thread.

This guy was on the most recent film Food Inc. the only qualm I had with him was I wish he had a wood panel or barrier between the chickens and the chickens being slaughtered. Other than that, darn, this guy was doing it the best he could and the best I could "ask for". Polyface, Inc.

Last edited by cr1039; 07-26-2009 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-26-2009, 06:39 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,310,013 times
Properly cook your food, and you don't have to worry about diseased meat.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:41 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,391,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
All I can say is the most recent, and seemingly new traditional practice of factory farming our food is disgusting, uncalled for and unsanitary.

I am not saying that everyone will be a vegetarian in my lifetime but I do think that factory farming WILL be outlawed withing my lifetime.

Perhaps my arguments are better suited for a factory farming thread.
Inasmuch as the need to produce as much food in smaller areas is become all that much more important, why on earth would you want factory farming to stop? If a few areas need attention - then do that. But, I doubt very seriously you will get much support in trying to "kill" factory farming altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates