U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:46 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,375,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
"But the evidence is strong. It's not simply that meat is a contributor to global warming; it's that it is a huge contributor. Larger, by a significant margin, than the global transportation sector."

washingtonpost.com
Interesting, but I'm having trouble grasping how grazing cattle could have a net positive impact on carbon emissions...

Cows are not very efficient in terms of converting cellulosic material into useable energy and about 30% of the biomass they consume will be released into the atmosphere as methane and other gases, however, while 100% of that biomass the cow ate was growing from the ground, it was converting CO2 and H20 (two potent greenhouse gases) into sugar and O2 at 100% efficiency and, furthermore, the grass that replaces it will do the same. How is it that cows are actually adding carbon to the atmosphere?

I'm not a climatologist, but it isn't making sense and I hope someone can explain that to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 01:51 PM

260 posts, read 493,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Interesting, but I'm having trouble grasping how grazing cattle could have a net positive impact on carbon emissions...

Cows are not very efficient in terms of converting cellulosic material into useable energy and about 30% of the biomass they consume will be released into the atmosphere as methane and other gases, however, while 100% of that biomass the cow ate was growing from the ground, it was converting CO2 and H20 (two potent greenhouse gases) into sugar and O2 at 100% efficiency. How is it that cows are actually adding carbon to the atmosphere?

I'm not a climatologist, but it isn't making sense and I hope someone can explain that to me...
add in the fact that rainforests are cut down for land to have cows graze and you get even more of an impact.

Grazing Lands and Soil Carbon Storage

Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,375,671 times
Quote:
add in the fact that rainforests are cut down for land to have cows graze and you get even more of an impact.

Ok, it makes sense that re-purposing areas of dense, old-growth foliage as grazing pasture would be bad, but I wish Mr. Guretzky had quantified the information in the Noble Foundation brief. Just a touch underwhelmed.

I feel better about all the venison and waterfowl in my freezer, though.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:09 PM

16,458 posts, read 21,495,098 times
Quote:
nope- i believe the quote is from dr. dean onrnish who strongly advocates a veg diet for health reasons:

Dean Ornish, MD
The research on the Inuit diet directly contradicts that, showing a high fat, high meat diet can be quite healthy.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Rainforests are also being cut to grow sugarcane, soybeans and fruits too.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
"But the evidence is strong. It's not simply that meat is a contributor to global warming; it's that it is a huge contributor. Larger, by a significant margin, than the global transportation sector."

washingtonpost.com
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...501145,00.html

To show how absurd that argument can get...it leaves out all the wild animals.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:15 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,331,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post

Cows are not very efficient in terms of converting cellulosic material into useable energy and about 30% of the biomass they consume will be released into the atmosphere as methane and other gases, however, while 100% of that biomass the cow ate was growing from the ground, it was converting CO2 and H20 (two potent greenhouse gases) into sugar and O2 at 100% efficiency and, furthermore, the grass that replaces it will do the same. How is it that cows are actually adding carbon to the atmosphere?

Because we aren't just feeding them grass. If they were free grazed cattle, then they wouldn't be putting out that much in harmful gas. However, we feed them, genetically engineered corn, left over cow, and steroids that increase their growth rate, increase their output of methane gas, and harm the environment even more then they would have naturally.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:42 PM

113 posts, read 202,999 times
I'm a vegi and my meat eating sister is slimmer then me.. stupid cake
HAha still got to love those lentil bolognaise!

Old 08-02-2009, 06:47 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,063,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I think this is in every other forum I've ever been in but seems to be missing here. Do you eat meat, or are you vegetarian (or are you an omnivore?)? What are your reasons for your choice?

For me, I sometimes eat meat. There isn't anything I would not eat if it was put on my plate. I might not like the texture, but since I have no taste buds, it has nothing to do with the taste. Probably because I was basically starved as a child, so I never want to pass up food. The only thing that keeps me from buying meat or fresh vegetables is the COST. Too expensive, really, to eat as an every day thing.
I eat meat because I like it.
I have no desire to debate my way of life regarding what I eat. If someone else feels the need to be a vegetarian, then have at it. Why should I care about their choice and why should they care about mine?

Old 08-02-2009, 09:43 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,310,013 times
1index

Doctor's orders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates