U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 07:28 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,327,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
Eating meat is barbaric. Vegetarians/Vegans are more highly evolved.

Not really. Agriculture has huge negative impacts on our planets ecosystems.
Vegitarians have a huge ecological footprint.

I eat meat alot, most of it I kill myself but we do buy beef, pork & poultry on occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 08:10 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,028,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
It's true, but plenty of vegetables supply complete protein. Meat is simply unnecessary.

Many things are unnecessary, but we use them every day.

You don't need to drive a car - you can walk. You don't need electricity, you can use candles. You don't need the internet, but you obviously have it.

I am all for eating healthy, but it is very easy to eat healthy while eating meat. To give it up completely for some silly moral stand seems foolish (and given the number of animals killed in modern farming/manufacturing/modern living in general, it seems extremely hypocritical as well). It seems like you are arbitrarily picking one thing to turn into a 'cause' when there is no practical reason for being a vegetarian. I don't get it.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:15 AM

20,051 posts, read 20,548,032 times
Quote:
I am not hostile. I just do not appreciate the way she manipulated her daughter into consuming the BBQ ribs.
Quote:
I manipulate my grandkids into eating veggies by slipping spinach into the spaghetti sauce and zucchini in the meatloaf. Can you appreciate that.

I have absolutly no problem eating meat.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:40 AM

260 posts, read 493,418 times
anyone who thinks that there is a humane way to consume animals is lying to themselves. the amount of suffering caused by factory farming is an abomonation. i will never understand anyone who can watch something like this and still eat meat:

Meet your Meat ! Watch this before you eat your next meal !!

Old 07-01-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
anyone who thinks that there is a humane way to consume animals is lying to themselves. the amount of suffering caused by factory farming is an abomonation. i will never understand anyone who can watch something like this and still eat meat:

With all due respect, why does it matter if animals bred for food are treated in a humane way? My dog killed a squirrel and brought it to me. He didn't do that in a 'humane' way. Are you upset about that as well?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:59 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,042,756 times
I'm vegetarian - or I suppose if I were honest I would call myself a carbavore.
I will tell you that it is hard for me to find the proper balance without carbing out. Still, I do feel healthier then when I ate meat.
The reason for my 'turn' is that I live in an area of the country where I frequently see semis taking cows and pigs to slaughter. I feel badly for them -- trust me, noone wants to be at a redlight with a few dozen cows looking at you.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:05 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,327,596 times
Quote:

Most folks eat dead animals. Hard to treat a steak inhumanely.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
With all due respect, why does it matter if animals bred for food are treated in a humane way? My dog killed a squirrel and brought it to me. He didn't do that in a 'humane' way. Are you upset about that as well?
so it is ok to torture a living, feeling being just because many people enjoy the taste of them? i would hope the fact that people can ignore their instincts and reason between right and wrong would seperate what you do from what your dog does. i think Pythagoras put it best when he said:
"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."

Old 07-01-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
so it is ok to torture a living, feeling being just because many people enjoy the taste of them? i would hope the fact that people can ignore their instincts and reason between right and wrong would seperate what you do from what your dog does. i think Pythagoras put it best when he said:
"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."
Ok, let me ask you a few quesitons. Do you wear clothes? Where do you get them from? Do you drive a car? Live in a house or apartment? Do you use batteries (ever)? Have you ever walked on a sidewalk? Do you use electricity?

The process of creating/producing every one of those things kills animals. To be a vegetarian on the basis of non-harm to animals and yet contribute to merciless destruction of not only animals themselves but their environment as well is nothing short of hypcritical. How can I take your view seriously when you live in direct contradiction of your very own morals?

Old 07-01-2009, 10:26 AM

the idea is to live as cruelty free as possible. the world is not black and white and people's negative impact on the enviroment and other animals can be tremendously reduced if they would simply stop consuming meat. i am sure you would be horrified by what goes on in the slaughterhouses if you would look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates