U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times

Advertisements

Well, here's what I think.

As far as I an able to ascertain, there are three basic reasons why people choose vegetarianism.

1. Health. They believe eating meat is harmful to their health.
2. Humane. They believe it is morally wrong to slaughter animals and eat them.
3. Religion. They believe they are under some sort of superhuman commad to never eat meat.

As to the first two, I have no problem with their motivation, and I even agree that they are fundamentally justified in their reasoning. However, it would clearly do no harm at all to, occasionally, permit their body to be exposed to the digestion of a meat product, or eat a little meat as long as they are not contributing to the general slaughter of animals nor ordering that meat be prepared for them.

As for the third one, any person who harbors such a rigid belief is just like members of any other cult, and allowing blind dogma to drive their lives. In the same boat with Muslims who are obliged to figure out which direction is it to Mecca before their prayers will have any effect. Or people who think they will offend God if they eat without certain candles places in a certain configuration. Or must wear green on St. Patrick's day, or must not wear green on a day when a sacrificial virgin is to be thrown into a volcano.

I have certain reservations about the mental health of a person who will make a scene at a social event, because a little bit of lard was used in the preparation of a pastry, which was then allowed to touch the asparagus. Or who loudly declares himself to be a morally superior vegetarian, and requires that special food be prepared, at whatever cost or inconvenience.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-01-2009 at 10:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,032,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Well, here's what I think.

As far as I an able to ascertain, there are three basic reasons why people choose vegetarianism.

1. Health. They believe eating meat is harmful to their health.
2. Humane. They believe it is morally wrong to slaughter animals and eat them.
3. Religion. They believe they are under some sort of superhuman commad to never eat meat.

As to the first two, I have no problem with their motivation, and I even agree that they are fundamentally justified in their reasoning. However, it would clearly do no harm at all to, occasionally, permit their body to be exposed to the digestion of a meat product, or eat a little meat as long as they are not contributing to the general slaughter of animals nor ordering that meat be prepared for them.

As for the third one, any person who harbors such a rigid belief is just like members of any other cult, and allowing blind dogma to drive their lives. In the same boat with Muslims who are obliged to figure out which direction is it to Mecca before their prayers will have any effect. Or people who think they will offend God if they eat without certain candles places in a certain configuration. Or must wear green on St. Patrick's day, or must not wear green on a day when a sacrificial virgin is to be thrown into a volcano.

I have certain reservations about the mental health of a person who will make a scene at a social event, because a little bit of lard was used in the preparation of a pastry, which was then allowed to touch the asparagus. Or who loudly declares himself to be a morally superior vegetarian, and requires that special food be prepared, at whatever cost or inconvenience.

I would agree with you on that. I don't expect the world - let alone my own family - to switch gears because I made a choice. I still cook meat for my family (albeit less then in the past -- which could only be a good thing, imo). My MIL made a special French onion soup which had a beef base - I ate it. There is no need to be rude or arrogant when becoming a vegetarian imo.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:21 AM

260 posts, read 492,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I would agree with you on that. I don't expect the world - let alone my own family - to switch gears because I made a choice. I still cook meat for my family (albeit less then in the past -- which could only be a good thing, imo). My MIL made a special French onion soup which had a beef base - I ate it. There is no need to be rude or arrogant when becoming a vegetarian imo.
if you eat beef you are not a vegetarian.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,011,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
the idea is to live as cruelty free as possible. the world is not black and white and people's negative impact on the enviroment and other animals can be tremendously reduced if they would simply stop consuming meat. i am sure you would be horrified by what goes on in the slaughterhouses if you would look into it.
I have looked into it, thanks for the suggestion though.

You can make up whatever excuses you want, but in the end you contradict your morals every time you step outside your door. Your viewpoint doesn't make sense and doesn't seem to be thought through. It is hard to take you seriously when your views and your actions conflict so much.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:44 AM

20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420
the idea is to live as cruelty free as possible. the world is not black and white and people's negative impact on the enviroment and other animals can be tremendously reduced if they would simply stop consuming meat. i am sure you would be horrified by what goes on in the slaughterhouses if you would look into it.
Quote:
I have looked into it, thanks for the suggestion though.

You can make up whatever excuses you want, but in the end you contradict your morals every time you step outside your door. Your viewpoint doesn't make sense and doesn't seem to be thought through. It is hard to take you seriously when your views and your actions conflict so much.
As cruelty free as possible until the vegetarians are inconvenienced. It is horrendous to shoot and kill an animal for consumption but ok to destroy habitat to build a golf course or housing development displacing those animals to starve or be hit by vehicles. Bad to catch a fish, ok to leach fertilizer into the stream to keep the golf courses and lawn pretty. Bad to raise animals for food, ok to raise them for their urine for hormone replacement, cosmetics, clothing, etc. get the pattern.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:48 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,025,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It is horrendous to shoot and kill an animal for consumption but ok to destroy habitat to build a golf course or housing development displacing those animals to starve or be hit by vehicles. Bad to catch a fish, ok to leach fertilizer into the stream to keep the golf courses and lawn pretty. Bad to raise animals for food, ok to raise them for their urine for hormone replacement, cosmetics, clothing, etc. get the pattern.
In your eyes, anyway. Speak for yourself, not other people.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:49 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,011,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
As cruelty free as possible until the vegetarians are inconvenienced. It is horrendous to shoot and kill an animal for consumption but ok to destroy habitat to build a golf course or housing development displacing those animals to starve or be hit by vehicles. Bad to catch a fish, ok to leach fertilizer into the stream to keep the golf courses and lawn pretty. Bad to raise animals for food, ok to raise them for their urine for hormone replacement, cosmetics, clothing, etc. get the pattern.
What is more inhumane, slowly starving to death because there is a dunkin doughnuts where an animal used to eat, or being killed in a slaughterhouse?

At least the latter is useful to society, the former is the disgrace.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:50 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,025,724 times
jtur88 -- Thank you for using some common sense.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:51 AM

1,307 posts, read 3,191,332 times
I see it as a moral issue-like abortion. Every person needs to decide for themselves, but no matter how blue in the face you want to get arguing over it, you are not going to convince the other side. I am an omnivore. Meat and vegetables both taste good to me, and if you try to take my big, juicy steak away from me I will bite you.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 PM

260 posts, read 492,983 times
if you can live with yourself knowing that you are willing contributing to the torture & suffering of millions of animals, i feel sorry for you. i cannot. vegetarianism & veganism is the start of the process, not the end of it. i'll leave you with some words from some people who's opinions you might respect:

"To a man whose mind is free there is something even more intolerable in the sufferings of animals than in the sufferings of man. For with the latter it is at least admitted that suffering is evil and that the man who causes it is a criminal. But thousands of animals are uselessly butchered every day without a shadow of remorse. If any man were to refer to it, he would be thought ridiculous. And that is the unpardonable crime."
Romain Rolland, author, Nobel Prize 1915
"If a group of beings from another planet were to land on Earth -- beings who considered themselves as superior to you as you feel yourself to be to other animals -- would you concede them the rights over you that you assume over other animals?"
George Bernard Shaw, playwright, Nobel Prize 1925
"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."
Thomas Edison, inventor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates