U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 07:37 PM

419 posts, read 1,627,909 times

Advertisements

I know these ads are all about selling their product, but how many folks really believe their sales pitch..? You've got ads on being overweight, depression, alcoholism, mental illness, smoking, etc. I can understand some of the ads, but I really think most of them drive people into thinking they have a problem when the problem doesn't exist. These ads promote the use of medicine that may be harmful to an individual and everyone should consult their doctor before taking these drugs. What do you think..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 07:39 PM

43,858 posts, read 41,140,405 times
I think if people will listen very closely to the side effects.....they are idiots if they even want to take most of the drugs advertised.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:55 PM

48,526 posts, read 74,649,570 times
The side efects have to be there even if rare. one day tehy will tell of the side efects of peanut butter on some as a warming in this scoiety of trail lawyers.People thru out time have always bought miracle potions.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:00 PM

8,470 posts, read 14,866,446 times
We usually get a kick out of listening to the possible side effects. Sometimes the list goes on and on concluding with "... or death." It's hard for me to believe that advertising some of those meds does much good when they have to spell out all the possible side effects.

The other thing is, sometimes it's hard to figure out just what the purpose of the drug is. Take the popular ED drugs, for example. I imagine most people know their purpose, or at least think they know, but just from listening to the commercials it wouldn't be easy to figure it out.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:14 PM

1,390 posts, read 1,930,684 times
I ignore those dumb commercials pharmaceuticals want to squeeze as much money as possible from consumers.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,776,994 times
They are total scare tactics. I love the vaccine one's. "I do it because I don't want my Molly to have HPV" then you hear that it'll only stop some types and these are the side effects. But you don't want HPV do you? You don't want to die right? then you better get it.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:10 PM

9,365 posts, read 16,329,396 times
I agree with the other posters, these commercials are all scare tactics to get you buy their product. The pharmaceutical companies are ruthless and very powerful. They contribute millions to campaigns and elections. Hillary Clinton, Mitt Romney, Barack Obama, and John McCain each received hundreds of thousands of dollars in contributions by drug companies. So who is going to fix the healthcare crisis and ever rising costs of prescription drugs?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:57 PM

3,860 posts, read 6,998,732 times
Now it's getting to the point where they are creating "diseases", "medical conditions" or "syndromes" to peddle their drugs. Case in point, "chronic dry eye". Visine used to take care of that. I also think that the drug companies are pushing these studies that require more stringent guidelines for controlling medical conditions, particularly hypertension. It used to be where 130/80 was considered normal. Now if your BP isn't under 120/80 then you're considered prehypertensive.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:11 PM

15,125 posts, read 17,042,796 times
Being a physician... please do not come asking us about a drug that you saw on television... they are on television because they are much more expensive than generics or other drugs with more than likely the same efficacy... I wish they would ban that practice but I know they have to peddle their drug names so that people would buy them... most of the time and to most patients, they aren't any better than the cheaper drugs...

Old 06-30-2009, 03:45 PM

804 posts, read 1,110,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Being a physician... please do not come asking us about a drug that you saw on television... they are on television because they are much more expensive than generics or other drugs with more than likely the same efficacy... I wish they would ban that practice but I know they have to peddle their drug names so that people would buy them... most of the time and to most patients, they aren't any better than the cheaper drugs...

Evil, quick question, do you know why with insulin this is not the case, my gf is diabetic (Type I) and for the insulin she usually gets prescribed there is no generic to replace it. These guys don't even need to advertise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates