U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-11-2009, 07:29 AM

8,294 posts, read 14,035,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
..."why is it always minorities that ......" Minorities? Who else is there besides minorities and majorities? Do we have another group that is neither minority or majority?

A better question would be "why are some people unhappy with the looks they were born with?"

Human nature. That's all. Just plain human nature. Tall people want to be shorter. Short people want to be taller. Blondes want to be redheads. Blue eyes want brown eyes. Everyone has different preceptions as to what is beautiful or desirable.
Ever met a woman who is satisfied with the way she looks? I haven't.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 07:36 AM

8,144 posts, read 3,828,086 times
Yeah, I think people just want to look like something/someone they're not..maybe in some cases the just happen to like the way a person from another race looks but for most it's just being unhappy with their looks that makes them perform these changes. MJ said in an interview that if a white person gets a tan, no one gets upset but they make a huge deal out of his skin color...hmmmm I think we van see racist stuff everywhere if we choose to..

Old 07-11-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
Yeah, I think people just want to look like something/someone they're not..maybe in some cases the just happen to like the way a person from another race looks but for most it's just being unhappy with their looks that makes them perform these changes. MJ said in an interview that if a white person gets a tan, no one gets upset but they make a huge deal out of his skin color...hmmmm I think we van see racist stuff everywhere if we choose to...
EXACTLY!

Some people see racism everywhere, in every look, tone of voice, comment and move.

Quite a few years ago I was involved in a mentoring program for teens. One of my small groups included two black girls. (The girls were not related.) It was amusing and tragic at the same time. One girl was ALWAYS saying stuff like, "That guy is SO racist! Joo see how he just looked at me?" The other girl was always responding with comments like, "What? What are you talking about? He didn't look funny at you!" One girl was always angry, the other wasn't.

We tend to see what we want to see - and not just in matter of race relations, but in all facets of life.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:16 AM

38,744 posts, read 37,307,046 times
Even in Africa, ligher-skinned Africans are preferred in situations where looks count. African receptionists, air hostesses, models, actresses, Tv presenters, tend largely to be lighter-skinned Africans. This is quite notable among women, not so conspicuous and perhaps absent among men. Similarly, within African culture, women are thought to be more attractive if they have other physical features that suggested some European ancestry, such as hair texture, lips, etc. Ethiopian and Somali women, for that reason, are thought to be more beautiful, even by African standards.

In American TV shows. commercials and movies, a black couple is almost always composed of a darker male and a lighter female. Virtually never the other way arouhd, unless some particular twist in the story line requires it. In general, it is OK for a man to be very dark, but not a woman.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Even in Africa, ligher-skinned Africans are preferred in situations where looks count. African receptionists, air hostesses, models, actresses, Tv presenters, tend largely to be lighter-skinned Africans. This is quite notable among women, not so conspicuous and perhaps absent among men. Similarly, within African culture, women are thought to be more attractive if they have other physical features that suggested some European ancestry, such as hair texture, lips, etc. Ethiopian and Somali women, for that reason, are thought to be more beautiful, even by African standards.
Perhaps. But the Ethiopian and Somalian women (except for a few southern tribes) are, by and large, more Arabic. It's not European ancestry that has their skin a bit lighter in color.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:37 AM

6,971 posts, read 12,236,182 times
Quote:
Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who use spray tans to be dark?
Quote:
Why do only minorities want to be white, when white people do the same thing?
maybe everyone, deep down inside, wants to be brazilian

Old 07-11-2009, 01:52 PM

24,373 posts, read 18,094,776 times
Lame ass thread.

Whites are happy with themselves..

just as blacks are happy with themselves....

Old 07-11-2009, 01:56 PM

24,373 posts, read 18,094,776 times
Another thing this lame ass thread is producing in that people think that lighter black folks are some how "better", stupid really.

I actually think some of the darkest black people look the coolest, they have the best skin. They look gorgeous, their deep blackness looks great to me.

No, I'm not Bobby Dinero, but blacks look great to me.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:31 PM

38,744 posts, read 37,307,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Another thing this lame ass thread is producing in that people think that lighter black folks are some how "better", stupid really.

I actually think some of the darkest black people look the coolest, they have the best skin. They look gorgeous, their deep blackness looks great to me.

No, I'm not Bobby Dinero, but blacks look great to me.
Thank you for the explanation that people who have different taste than yours are stupid.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:38 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,904,974 times
Im not sure I would agree with all these observations. As far as tanning, it is not a wise thing to do for health reasons. White women need to embrace their paleness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates