Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:44 PM

481 posts, read 943,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So now you're going to get all pissy at me? Wow. Nice one.

And by the way, I'd strongly suggest you shut your snotty little mouth about my relationship with members of my family! You are WAY out of line little girl!

I've been MORE THAN civil to you, and MORE THAN patient with your viewpoint. But in short, you've earned these two words: Kiss off. There's a reason you keep flitting from forum to forum, and finding trouble everywhere. There is a common denominator you refuse to admit. You're a victim of EVERYTHING. You CREATE unique ways of being a victim. Congratulations.
Tisk tisk sir, someone can't hold their temper. I'm not sure what you mean by flitting form forum to forum, I think you are mistaking me for someone else. I apologize if you felt that my comments were too personal, though I find that interesting that you have constantly told me what I thought and how I felt and what I would do, as you have with many others. But the difference is I did not attack you and I thought you were above this kind of thing. I do apologize though, because it was not my intent to hurt your feelings, though it is obvious that that was your intent towards me. I obviously hit a sore spot with you and that was not what I was looking to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:51 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,315 times
Was an interesting read and a lot of that still applies today. The article is over 20 years old though and I believe race relations have improved since 1988 a good amount.

As the country continues to diversify, things will get even better.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:52 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Tisk tisk sir, someone can't hold their temper. I'm not sure what you mean by flitting form forum to forum, I think you are mistaking me for someone else. I apologize if you felt that my comments were too personal, though I find that interesting that you have constantly told me what I thought and how I felt and what I would do, as you have with many others. But the difference is I did not attack you and I thought you were above this kind of thing. I do apologize though, because it was not my intent to hurt your feelings, though it is obvious that that was your intent towards me. I obviously hit a sore spot with you and that was not what I was looking to do.
Quit being such a little snot. Good grief, you really must think you know everything.

Do you want to know some of the possible reasons my wife doesn't complain about sexism? Maybe it's because she's actually happy being a woman - and quite satisfied with her marriage, her family and her life. Maybe it's because she doesn't want to be a man. Maybe she isn't so immersed in self-victimhood that she assumes she's being discriminated against every time she turns around. Because of her high intelligence, social skills and job skills, she has been repeatedly offered job promotions she hasn't wanted. Shortly after we were married, 25 years ago, the company she worked for wanted to move her into corporate management. But she didn't want that. And she has never regretted her decision. Unlike you, she is not a victim. She is an incredibly beautiful, smart, talented, and successful WOMAN. You could take some lessons from her!

I know you think you know everything, and you're closed minded to all points of view other than yours, but you really need to grow up. I'm quite tired of your impudent attitude.

Until then though, you just keep right on being the victim of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:10 PM

Everytime you keep calling me snooty and know it all, just makes you sound like you possibly are intimidated by smart women, or atleast this smart woman. No I don't know everything, but I do know a lot and I refuse to dumb myself down and use small words to make people more comfortable. The point of me bringing up your wife or daughter was not to talk about YOUR wife and daughter. Heck I didn't even know if you had a wife and daughter. I was making a general statement about how most men are unaware fo the sexism that women deal with, and so I just used typical women figures that would be in a man's life....a mother, a wife, a daughter, an aunt, etc.

Anyway, you can take my apology for what it is or not. However, I refuse to play into this conversation so you can have a forum in which to call me names and use that little eye rolly thing you seem so fond of. So in the words of the great Willy Wonka, "I say GOOD DAY, SIR!"

Old 07-11-2009, 10:10 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
Was an interesting read and a lot of that still applies today. The article is over 20 years old though and I believe race relations have improved since 1988 a good amount.

As the country continues to diversify, things will get even better.
You're right, it is a bit dated. Yet, still quite relevant. (MacIntosh's reading is considered to be a classic.) When I was a professor, I would have students go through and put a check-mark by everything that applied to them. It was always an interesting way to start a good dialogue about race.

Incidentally, there is a similar list entitled Christian Privilege. That one is also a good read.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
You're right, it is a bit dated. Yet, still quite relevant. (MacIntosh's reading is considered to be a classic.) When I was a professor, I would have students go through and put a check-mark by everything that applied to them. It was always an interesting way to start a good dialogue about race.

Incidentally, there is a similar list entitled Christian Privilege. That one is also a good read.
Yes and one entitled Male Priviledge. BTW, have you ever seen the movie "The Color of Fear"? Good stuff.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Everytime you keep calling me snooty and know it all, just makes you sound like you possibly are intimidated by smart women, or atleast this smart woman. No I don't know everything, but I do know a lot and I refuse to dumb myself down and use small words to make people more comfortable. The point of me bringing up your wife or daughter was not to talk about YOUR wife and daughter. Heck I didn't even know if you had a wife and daughter. I was making a general statement about how most men are unaware fo the sexism that women deal with, and so I just used typical women figures that would be in a man's life....a mother, a wife, a daughter, an aunt, etc.

Anyway, you can take my apology for what it is or not. However, I refuse to play into this conversation so you can have a forum in which to call me names and use that little eye rolly thing you seem so fond of. So in the words of the great Willy Wonka, "I say GOOD DAY, SIR!"
I am not the least bit intimidated (nor impressed) by you.

Grow up.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:17 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,196 times
Quote:
Yes and one entitled Male Priviledge. BTW, have you ever seen the movie "The Color of Fear"? Good stuff.
I have seen that video. It's intense, but good. I also like "Skin Deep."

Old 07-11-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
So now we have White Privilege, Male Privilege, Christian Privilege...

Is there anything I left out?

Attached Ear Lobes Privilege?
Don't Wear Glasses Privilege?
Taller Than Average Privilege?
Not Too Much Gray Hair For A 50-Year Old Privilege?

Old 07-11-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I have seen that video. It's intense, but good. I also like "Skin Deep."
Have you ever been to a NAME conference? They had a great workshop on that particular video one of the years I went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates