U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2009, 01:02 AM
 
3,513 posts, read 1,361,313 times
Reputation: 1357

Advertisements

I notice a lot of white people point out MJ wanting to be white because he didn't like his skin color.

I notice people talking about a product called Nur76 that apparently some hispanics use to lighten there skin.

I notice people talking about blacks straightening there hair, etc, trying to be white.

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who use spray tans to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who lay out in the sun all day to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who pay expensive prices for tanning beds to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the most popular form of plastic surgery for white females, lip injections, a black facial feature?

Why do only minorities want to be white, when white people do the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2009, 02:42 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY for now. Hanover, New Hampshire come the fall.
99 posts, read 86,931 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I notice a lot of white people point out MJ wanting to be white because he didn't like his skin color.

I notice people talking about a product called Nur76 that apparently some hispanics use to lighten there skin.

I notice people talking about blacks straightening there hair, etc, trying to be white.

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who use spray tans to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who lay out in the sun all day to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who pay expensive prices for tanning beds to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the most popular form of plastic surgery for white females, lip injections, a black facial feature?

Why do only minorities want to be white, when white people do the same thing?
I don't know about the popularity of the lip procedure. I thought breast augmentation was more popular, but I digress.

The fact of the matter is that most individual races appreciate/desire features more common among others. No race is really exempt from this.

Black women would, in most cases, like to have white/asian hair. Some won't admit it, but in general if it can be done they'll do it because it can be said that men usually tend to prefer that long, flowing hair on women.

White women like to tan...a lot. In the suburbs, this phenomenon is almost too extensive. I've seen girls plan to visit tanning salons together as though they were planning a party or a get together at a restaurant. They have entire TV shows on cable channels dedicated to the process now. There are some white girls who can't tan and are perfectly fine with that, but there are others who speak of their inability to bronze as if they had lost an appendage or something. Really, their skin is better off un-tanned but they can't seem to get that.

There are asian women(at least in the US) who also tan extensively as well. I've also heard stories of many asian women, particularly overseas, who have surgeries to make their eyes look more European. I hear that this procedure isn't too uncommon among the middle/upper classes in some parts of the Asian continent.

The only women who, in general, don't seem to want much are those of mixed heritage who have some African ancestry. Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, and Brazilians are good examples of this. They already tend to have the tanned features naturally and their hair, while it may be naturally curly for some, is much easier to straighten, ensuring that they don't have to go through many of the hoops that a lot of black women go through to keep longer hair.
That being said, I have met girls of these particular backgrounds who have admired some of their white/asian peers for their straighter hair. Go figure-it seems that nobody is completely satisfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 03:27 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,657 posts, read 4,593,669 times
Reputation: 1458
I disagree with some of your points. Saying blacks want to be white and whites want to be black is too much of a generalization that doesn't make sense to me.

(Chris Rock made a comment that a "homeless, old white man wouldn't trade places with me, and I'm rich!!")-that's a good point, I doubt any white person on the planet would want to be black.

I am black and I straighten my hair, I don't do it to be "white". That's ridiculous. I just prefer straighter hair, easier to style, etc.

I don't think whites inject their lips to be "black", I think they are unhappy with thin lips, and want to enhace the look of them and perhaps enjoy wearing lipstick, etc. (of course Lisa Rinna took it too far!)

As far as skin bleaching and tanning, etc. who know's what those reasons are, I don't think people tan to become "black". Or bleach skin to become "white", maybe there's a percentage of people that do it for those reasons, but I don't think that's the goal.

And MJ bleached his skin for his own reasons, whether solely because of vitiligo, or whatever, we really don't know, I guess. I read on here that he was trying to change his appearance to not look like his father, but I don't think he looked like him anyway, he was a handsome guy in the younger days, before the surgery and changes, etc.




Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I notice a lot of white people point out MJ wanting to be white because he didn't like his skin color.

I notice people talking about a product called Nur76 that apparently some hispanics use to lighten there skin.

I notice people talking about blacks straightening there hair, etc, trying to be white.

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who use spray tans to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who lay out in the sun all day to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who pay expensive prices for tanning beds to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the most popular form of plastic surgery for white females, lip injections, a black facial feature?

Why do only minorities want to be white, when white people do the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 03:28 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 13,780,831 times
Reputation: 6456
Internet forums and groups are still, sadly, disproportionately White and Asian. So it's going to disproportionately represent those views.

I don't know about your examples, but there's certainly whites who seem to want to identify with other races. A difference, perhaps, is that this is seen more as a harmless eccentricity than a sign of self-loathing. A white wants to be "adopted" by some Indian tribe or black organization and it's "cute." Or if it's not cute it's seen as maybe condescending to their cultures, but not so much as a sign of self-loathing.

I'm wondering though if that's on the verge of changing. I read recently that college professors were increasingly seeing whites who, sincerely, seemed to wish they weren't white. That whites have a collective guilt and no culture. That "whiteness" is therefore shameful or at least boring. Considering how long other races felt that it might be just desserts for us, but still a part of me finds it worrisome. If they're truly ashamed of being white they might become open to the opposite, white pride or white nationalism, to compensate and that's bad for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 04:46 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,227 posts, read 4,976,803 times
Reputation: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I notice a lot of white people point out MJ wanting to be white because he didn't like his skin color.

I notice people talking about a product called Nur76 that apparently some hispanics use to lighten there skin.

I notice people talking about blacks straightening there hair, etc, trying to be white.

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who use spray tans to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who lay out in the sun all day to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who pay expensive prices for tanning beds to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the most popular form of plastic surgery for white females, lip injections, a black facial feature?

Why do only minorities want to be white, when white people do the same thing?

I notice people, of all races, get too hung up on racial things. Why care?
I dont think Mike Jackson wanted to be white. I think he had issues well beyond race.
I dont think people lightening their skin are trying to be white & I dont think people getting a tan are trying to become latin or black. I think they are trying to do what they like.
I do think most topics like this are intended to stir the pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 06:12 AM
 
1,718 posts, read 1,401,838 times
Reputation: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I notice a lot of white people point out MJ wanting to be white because he didn't like his skin color.

I notice people talking about a product called Nur76 that apparently some hispanics use to lighten there skin.

I notice people talking about blacks straightening there hair, etc, trying to be white.

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who use spray tans to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who lay out in the sun all day to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who pay expensive prices for tanning beds to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the most popular form of plastic surgery for white females, lip injections, a black facial feature?

Why do only minorities want to be white, when white people do the same thing?
Light skinned Blacks DO discriminate against Blacks with darker skin. Many Blacks DO wish they were not so dark. But there is nothing ugly about being Black, even dark Black. And, yes, whites DO look better with a little color.

In my opinion plump lips are attractive. Thin lips are not attractive and neither are fat lips. I don't happen to think that nappy hair is unattractive but I think a lot of people, Black and White, do.

All this attention to physical appearence notwithstanding, the fact remains that many people, Black and White, do, in fact, discriminate against dark skinned Blacks and Blacks with heavy Black facial features. I'd have to give a lot more thought as to why that may be. The fact remains that such discrimination exists among both Blacks and Whites.

You have the same thread on another forum. You seem to be really bothered by this.

- Reel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 06:28 AM
 
Location: The Plains
6,009 posts, read 5,145,397 times
Reputation: 4187
Lighter skin and straighter hair is not "white", maybe black people what to look like an Egyptian or Moroccan...... But still look like an African
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 07:29 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 14,292,671 times
Reputation: 3659
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I notice a lot of white people point out MJ wanting to be white because he didn't like his skin color.

I notice people talking about a product called Nur76 that apparently some hispanics use to lighten there skin.

I notice people talking about blacks straightening there hair, etc, trying to be white.

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who use spray tans to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who lay out in the sun all day to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who pay expensive prices for tanning beds to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the most popular form of plastic surgery for white females, lip injections, a black facial feature?

Why do only minorities want to be white, when white people do the same thing?

Because whites are - as you claim - the most racist people in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 08:08 AM
 
1,251 posts, read 2,722,434 times
Reputation: 744
Tropolis...I agree with you on some things...a lot of things.
I disagree with you on some thing too (again, a lot of things).

But im starting to think you're doing a little bit of trolling...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 08:27 AM
 
6,965 posts, read 16,442,530 times
Reputation: 6501
..."why is it always minorities that ......" Minorities? Who else is there besides minorities and majorities? Do we have another group that is neither minority or majority?

A better question would be "why are some people unhappy with the looks they were born with?"

Human nature. That's all. Just plain human nature. Tall people want to be shorter. Short people want to be taller. Blondes want to be redheads. Blue eyes want brown eyes. Everyone has different preceptions as to what is beautiful or desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:49 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top