Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:56 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,049 times

Advertisements

Okay I am so sick of people who are all about stopping the homosexual community from getting married and even having relationships with other homosexuals. How are they hurting you or anyone else by getting married or having a relationship with someone of the same sex?

If you cannot answer this question then you have no reason to pester these good people anymore. So go back to your bibles and close-minded lives and leave them alone.

Last edited by fractured_kidult; 08-22-2009 at 09:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 10:02 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
People are afraid of what they do not understand. They lie in fear someone of their same sex might find them attractive, of course this same fear makes them way more ugly.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:12 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
People are afraid of what they do not understand. They lie in fear someone of their same sex might find them attractive, of course this same fear makes them way more ugly.
I believe it is much more a matter of control by certain religious communities in this Nation.

They canot force people to be Christians BY law, so they force laws into place to make everyone ACT "Christian".

Old 08-22-2009, 10:21 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Okay I am so sick of people who are all about stopping the homosexual community from getting married and even having relationships with other homosexuals. How are they hurting you or anyone else by getting married or having a relationship with someone of the same sex?

If you cannot answer this question then you have no reason to pester these good people anymore. So go back to your bibles and close-minded lives and leave them alone.
It offends some people, is an abomination against their core beliefs WHICH in turn generally "entitles" them to respond offensively.

It's fairly standard human behaviour, along with an inability to self regulate and opt for the live and let live ethos and is the reason a lot of truly unreasonable things happen in this world.

No matter, I'm a firm believer in right triumphing in the end.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:15 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
I agree with the OP. Homosexuals arent hurting anyone. Maybe its not "natural" to be homosexual, as in reproducing, but I think that homosexuals have their place in society. Just like straight people have a place in society which is to reproduce, homosexuals might be filling some need that society has that society hasn't accepted. How else do you explain that there have been homosexuals all throughtout history? Back in the days there was an army composed of men that had sex with each other so they could be more loyal to each other. Well if they found a purpose for homosexuals back then, then there might be a reason that homosexuals exist.

Homosexuals do not bother me just because they are gay. So live and let live.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:20 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I agree with the OP. Homosexuals arent hurting anyone. Maybe its not "natural" to be homosexual, as in reproducing, but I think that homosexuals have their place in society. Just like straight people have a place in society which is to reproduce, homosexuals might be filling some need that society has that society hasn't accepted. How else do you explain that there have been homosexuals all throughtout history? Back in the days there was an army composed of men that had sex with each other so they could be more loyal to each other. Well if they found a purpose for homosexuals back then, then there might be a reason that homosexuals exist.

Homosexuals do not bother me just because they are gay. So live and let live.
While on the surface your post sounds reasonable, there are certain undercurrents I feel I must address, besides the fact that homosexuality precedes human society.

Sex is indeed the single strongest instict we have, at times even outstripping self-preservation. However, PROCREATION, as in creating offspring, is NOT an instict in and of itself.

Otherwise we wouldn't cuddle and smoke a cig with our SO's until we were sure we had made a baby.

That said, homosexual relationships are NOT all about sex, any more than hetero relationships. They look for the same exact things we do in a relationship. Love, caring, compassion, mutual support, friendship, understanding, companionship, etc. And yes, intimacy as well.

"Getting your rocks off", as you have implied in your rather msitated "historical example" above, is not homosexuality. Someone merely having their jollies isn't going to want to enter into a committed relationship, ie marriage, with someone of the same gender.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:57 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
While on the surface your post sounds reasonable, there are certain undercurrents I feel I must address, besides the fact that homosexuality precedes human society.

Sex is indeed the single strongest instict we have, at times even outstripping self-preservation. However, PROCREATION, as in creating offspring, is NOT an instict in and of itself.

Otherwise we wouldn't cuddle and smoke a cig with our SO's until we were sure we had made a baby.

That said, homosexual relationships are NOT all about sex, any more than hetero relationships. They look for the same exact things we do in a relationship. Love, caring, compassion, mutual support, friendship, understanding, companionship, etc. And yes, intimacy as well.

"Getting your rocks off", as you have implied in your rather msitated "historical example" above, is not homosexuality. Someone merely having their jollies isn't going to want to enter into a committed relationship, ie marriage, with someone of the same gender.
You raise some important points, and at the same time, hint at one of the key reasons why so many people are opposed to homosexuality. As you stated, just as heterosexuality extends far beyond a sexual act, so does homosexuality. Yet, for many people, they reduce homosexuality down to that simple "act." In some ways I liken this to the objectification of women in music videos. Let me elaborate.

The objectification of women in music videos typically is done through a reduction of women down to body parts. In my opinion, this reduction to a single body part, or to a single thing, is the first step in devaluing the whole person. It is also the first step toward desensitization. Similarly, the reduction of homosexuality down to a single act serves to devalue the entire homosexual experience. It also, in my opinion, becomes the first steps toward desensitizing people to hearing jokes about homosexuals, to being less concerned about violence committed against this group, etc. Ultimately, this reductionist approach serves to maintain status quo.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:14 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Because it threatens the Christian stance on Intelligent design and the bible.

The bible says you are supposed to kill homosexuals.

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Also, if homosexuality is accepted into society, then it will be easier to accept it as a naturally occurring phenomenon. If that happens, it shoots holes in the intelligent design argument.

They can't have this, because they see God as a 11 year old child who can't accept criticism and questions. I accept "God" as something that we all belong to, and it doesn't hate us, anymore than our parents hate us.

I think a parents love for a child is the perfect explanation of what Gods love is like. Parents don't care what their children do. You might be disappointed, but you still love them, and would never punish them for eternity. Perhaps your punishment is here on Earth. Your trials and tribulations take place here. Those that go against their natural good nature often aren't happy in this life. Maybe when they finally die, they get that burden taken off of them. I know the evil things I've done in my life hit me very hard emotionally and physically. I have accepted what I did as wrong, and I don't do them anymore, but they still haunt me. Most people, even those who are pure evil, feel the same effects for their acts.

Just think of the tremendous strain that was on Hitler before he died. He killed himself he was so destroyed by his acts. He may have not seen his acts as being bad, but he was punished for those acts here on Earth. Maybe he was released from that pain and anger and destruction when he died.

How beautiful is a "God" that even accepts someone as terrible as Hitler.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:45 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,049 times
See I think that our discovery of the universe, people born with birth defects, and the bible poked holes in the whole intelligent design thing.

The bible does this when it talks about sea creatures(not whales or octopus), giants, and such.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:48 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I am a conservative but not on this issue. Logically, to me, if marriage is an ideal to be aspired to, and I think it is, I think gays ought to be able to partake in it. Statistics even show married people live longer. But, I do not think religious institutions should be forced to go against their beliefs in any matter so while I'm okay with gay marriage, I don't think religious institutions that prohibit it in their teachings should be forced to perform the ceremony. I've said this before but I also think gay people should talk more about why they want to be married rather than spend time addressing the opposition to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates