Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 02:03 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
learning math in any application will help in other applications, and your wager is wrong–marksmanship can become very technical, especially at long ranges, and esecially with moving targets.
What part of "intuitive" don't you get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 04:10 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times
Anti gun people can say what they want. It is your right to feel the way you do and express your opinions.
I've had guns all my life. I raised six kids and all of them were taught to respect and handle a gun and the end result of using one in a responsible way or in a self defense situation or the end result of being careless.
None of them ever got hurt. The guns were like everything else in the house. Use it when you need it. If you don't need it, leave it alone. They aren't here to be to played with and they aren't here to be handled unless there is a need to handle them. They were a common sight just like furniture, silverware, the stove, and everything else. A part of the house. Not to be used or handled unless they had a specific reason for being used which thankfully never occured for any reason other than hunting or target practice. They have a purpose just like anything else. Don't turn on the porch light in the daytime. There is no purpose or reason. Don't touch a gun if there is no purpose or reason for doing so.
As far as kids, it is not understanding the potential tragic results that get them hurt. They have to be taught what can happen instead of trying to hide things from them and letting them find and experiment on their own.
I have 1 rifle, 2 shotguns, and 2 hand guns. None of them have ever been pointed at a human being. And never will be unless me or a family member is in intimate danger.
But if someone tries a home invasion at my house they will catch a bullit from one of the handguns. I always have one nearby.
The rifle and shotguns are for hunting which I don't do much of anymore but they were handed down from my father and uncles and I will keep them. The rifle and one shotgun is always loaded. As is both handguns. No one is going take a gun from me. If I even think they might try, they will never get close enough to reach me or my gun.
I don't ever want to hurt anybody. But I will use a gun to defend myself if I have no other choice. I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
In todays world, you just never know when you might need to defend yourself with deadly force.
There are people who have no respect for human life and would kill for $20.00 to buy some kind of drugs. I don't intend to become one of their victims.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:39 AM

46 posts, read 110,593 times
Quote:
I would like to commend the municipal governments of DC, Chicago and San Francisco for outlawing handguns.
Due to the SCOTUS case DC vs Heller this is not the case anymore

Quote:
Hunters do not hunt with handguns.
Umm I do every year.

Quote:
One can always keep a rifle or shotgun as protection if you fear for your safety
Well now that you mention it as well as having a TN handgun Carry Permit, I also keep a shotgun in my home and now legally in my vehicle

Quote:
Don't think that a home invasion robber will give you time to load up your gun!
You absolutely correct...that is why they are already loaded.

Quote:
Let alone the fact that child will suffer from accidents from these firearms because of their parents irresponsiblity (this will always happen).
I agree gun ownership is not only a right but is a responsibility. My wife and I don't have kids, but on occasion do have little visitors. Before they get to the door the only loaded shotgun in the house goes in the gun safe and the handgun I carry daily stays on my side.

Quote:
I do not see the desire to even have fun with these types of weapons.
Just because you don't doesn't mean your view is everyone's view. I started shooting at 12 hunting at 16 shooting competitive small-bore rifle events at 13, today I shoot alot of military matches with what you would call "assault rifles", and I shoot IDPA matches (International Defensive Pistol Association.)

Now criminals do not by nature adhere to the law. So how about we make them fear it, I suggest a minimum sentence of 25 years for a violent felony committed with a firearm. If said felony results in death the death penalty is automatically considered.

Loosen self defense laws. Especially where it pertains to civil litigation. Here in TN the rule is, in order to use lethal force you must have legitimate fear that your life or the life of another is in imminent danger ( that takes care of in public). If someone forcibly enters your home or somewhere you have the legal right to be it is automatically assumed that your life is in imminent danger (that takes care of your home and vehicle). You cannot use lethal force to protect property. As long as charges are dropped or no charges are filed as it is declared a justifiable self defense shot, you cannot be sued in the state of TN.

How about we take some of these old unused military bases and build massive prisons on them. This would make room for more prisoners, as well as create thousands of new jobs for those who are so down they're considering turning to crime.

Yes there is a problem with our society and it is not guns. Guns are a tool the same as a fire extinguisher. I believe the problem is people giving up on their kids, letting them get away with whatever they want, no discipline, using the TV and XBOX as babysitters. The notion that everybody owes them something.

Now I'm not saying we should live a Puritan lifestyle, Reward right and severely punish wrong.

And if you ever want to see what the fascination of shooting a gun is, shoot me a PM if you are ever this way I will be more than happy to let you try, it really is a fun sport and hobby. I may live in TN but I am not a Yahoo...that's a website.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:53 AM

And of course, if you have a teenager, they can take it to school and shoot someone. For some reason, we had a rash of shootings at schools. Because guns are openly available in the U.S.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:27 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And of course, if you have a teenager, they can take it to school and shoot someone.
We have two teenagers - even if they went to a public school, there's no way they could take any of my guns with them.

Quote:
For some reason, we had a rash of shootings at schools. Because guns are openly available in the U.S.
For some reason, we had a rash of drownings in Las Vegas. Because swimming pools are available and open in this city.

Seriously, TK... I don't know why you get involved in the gun threads - you lose, and lose badly, in every one. You're the only one that doesn't see that, though, which I guess is why you keep doing it...

Old 07-19-2009, 12:41 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
What part of "intuitive" don't you get?
You are truly ignorant about guns and long range marksmanship in particular TKramar.

I know quite a few long range shooters that can go into a store and buy reloading components like primers, powder, brass cases and bullets. They can take these components home and load them to their specifications. They can take that ammunition and after doing a few calculations on a sheet of paper and using a laser bore site they can place three shots in a group of two inches or less at one hundred yards with almost any NEW quality brand rifle off the shelf in a gun shop.

The average person off the street could NOT do this without many hours of instruction and practice. THAT is not intuitive.

GL2

Old 07-19-2009, 12:47 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
And of course, if you have a teenager, they can take it to school and shoot someone. For some reason, we had a rash of shootings at schools. Because guns are openly available in the U.S.
Wanna bet your paycheck TKramar that more teens were killed by other teens in car accidents last year in the United States than teen on teen killing with guns? Both are stupid, senseless wastes of life usually caused by ignorance or bad parenting.

GL2

Old 07-19-2009, 05:23 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
TKramer, you should really spend your energies banning automobiles. They are so much more dangerous than guns and a good argument to keep out of kids until the age of maybe 25?

Everyday a kid takes a car to school & injures another kid or himself.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
We have two teenagers - even if they went to a public school, there's no way they could take any of my guns with them.

For some reason, we had a rash of drownings in Las Vegas. Because swimming pools are available and open in this city.

Seriously, TK... I don't know why you get involved in the gun threads - you lose, and lose badly, in every one. You're the only one that doesn't see that, though, which I guess is why you keep doing it...
I don't own a swimming pool either. But it's probably a good idea to ban them.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
You are truly ignorant about guns and long range marksmanship in particular TKramar.

I know quite a few long range shooters that can go into a store and buy reloading components like primers, powder, brass cases and bullets. They can take these components home and load them to their specifications. They can take that ammunition and after doing a few calculations on a sheet of paper and using a laser bore site they can place three shots in a group of two inches or less at one hundred yards with almost any NEW quality brand rifle off the shelf in a gun shop.

The average person off the street could NOT do this without many hours of instruction and practice. THAT is not intuitive.

GL2
Really? I was on a rifle team in high school. JROTC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates