U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Secondly, maybe just maybe, avid hunters sportsmen could be made an exception if shown that they have a serious interest in the sport...just like police officers will be given that exception. However, I do not feel the need...not even for a false-sense of security...that the average joe should be allowed to own one.
Why is it that people feel cops are special somehow, when it comes to having a handgun? Allow me to elaborate a bit. There are VERY few LE types who compete, percentage wise, outside of interdepartmental events. Even in the latter, the vast majority of them want to be paid overtime to do so. Even to go out and practice with their service wepons many of them are demanding this as well. The 'average joes' that I compete with, in stark contrast, practice regularly and without desire for monetary compensation. So, how is a cop 'more qualified' or special, outside of their badge? Answer...they are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times
Quote:
I would like to commend the municipal governments of DC, Chicago and San Francisco for outlawing handguns. I find these types of firearms completely unnecessary. Hunters do not hunt with handguns. One can always keep a rifle or shotgun as protection if you fear for your safety...eventhough it is much more likely that the gun will be taken from you and used against you! Don't think that a home invasion robber will give you time to load up your gun! Let alone the fact that child will suffer from accidents from these firearms because of their parents irresponsiblity (this will always happen). Additionally, I do not see the desire to even have fun with these types of weapons. BANG! The glass bottle breaks! WHO-HO! So much fun at the expense of our society!

The gun lobby makes the claim that most guns used by criminals are bought illegally. However, trace the history of that gun to its very beginning...I doubt street thugs are manufacturing their own guns...some may be smuggled in but these I am sure would be harder to get.

Let's not get into the second admendment...That is for another forum.

I know this will not reduce the homicide rate too much, but even if it is a little, I feel that it is worth it. Why should people have to suffer just so some yahoos can shut up empty beer bottles?
Interesting take. I'm glad that you're not in a position of political power. Our representatives may not represent us well, but at least they're not as misinformed and ignorant as you.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:38 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,049,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Why is it that people feel cops are special somehow, when it comes to having a handgun? Allow me to elaborate a bit. There are VERY few LE types who compete, percentage wise, outside of interdepartmental events. Even in the latter, the vast majority of them want to be paid overtime to do so. Even to go out and practice with their service wepons many of them are demanding this as well. The 'average joes' that I compete with, in stark contrast, practice regularly and without desire for monetary compensation. So, how is a cop 'more qualified' or special, outside of their badge? Answer...they are not.

When I was 16-17 and my brother 14-15 or so, we were at the indoor shooting range with our dad. In the stall next to us was the local SWAT team instructor giving some additional training to a young police officer (who also had a SWAT insignia on his shirt).

My little brother was keeping better groups at longer distances, than even the instructor could do.

The badge does not make you good with/responsible with firearms. Your training/practice does - this training/practice is available to all citizens in the US, not just LEOs.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,049,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Interesting take. I'm glad that you're not in a position of political power. Our representatives may not represent us well, but at least they're not as misinformed and ignorant as you.

I'd rep you for this, but it says I need to spread it around.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:58 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
When I was 16-17 and my brother 14-15 or so, we were at the indoor shooting range with our dad. In the stall next to us was the local SWAT team instructor giving some additional training to a young police officer (who also had a SWAT insignia on his shirt).

My little brother was keeping better groups at longer distances, than even the instructor could do.

The badge does not make you good with/responsible with firearms. Your training/practice does - this training/practice is available to all citizens in the US, not just LEOs.
Lol, there is a guy who I've been competing with for about 12 years. He was in C class, I was in Master when we became friends. He is now a firearms instructor for the SO where he lives, and we battle it out in Master &Unlimited class regular. Our standing joke is to bow low to each other before we go to the line and after. The guy gets PO'd pretty regularly about his officers practice habits and general attitudes. When they do show up to compete they want to shoot in C class. Our rules require that anyone who has a CCW or carries a weapon on the job compete in B or above. The sniveling over this rule is very annoying at times, and the worst offenders are ploice and armed security types. This completely mystifies me and all of my shooting sports compatriots. Yet, we are the ones who the uneducated look down upon as 'averge joes', 'ameuturs', etc etc ad naseum.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:15 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,991,337 times
Quote:
. . .

Let's not get into the second admendment(sic)...That is for another forum.

I know this will not reduce the homicide rate too much, but even if it is a little, I feel that it is worth it. Why should people have to suffer just so some yahoos can shut up empty beer bottles?

If it is saving lives that really concerns you maybe you should go after infringing the rights of free speech guaranteed in the First Amendment.

How many homicides occur each year in the USA because of verbal arguments escalating into violence?

Maybe it is time to require EVERYONE to wear a muzzle on their mouth when out in public and they should not be allowed to speak without permission from local and Federal officials.

"IF IT SAVES JUST ONE LIFE. . .". and it would.

Why should everyone suffer just because some Yahoo wants to spout off verbally?

GL2

Old 07-14-2009, 11:52 AM

48,891 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Quote:
RVLover, people live in much worse places than you, like DC and do not own handguns!
Yet DC has some of the worst gun violence in the US. Really its a debate that comes in parts. The first being whom should be allowed to have guns and the second being how do you enforce it.

So, even if I completely agreed with you (for arguments sake) about licensing only legitimate hunters, police officers etc. it still leaves us with the fact that the scumbags will still have those guns illegally. (Think war on drugs for an example.)

Your labeling gun owners as rednecks is odd. Go pull up the statistics on whom is doing the shooting and who is being shot in places like Detroit, DC, LA....very much a gang\drugs type situation.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:18 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Quote:
I would like to commend the municipal governments of DC, Chicago and San Francisco for outlawing handguns.
Actually - the District of Columbia lost in the Heller decision (USSC) - Handguns in the DC are not outlawed.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:24 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Lentzr: I have a number of handguns. My wife has several as well. We both have concealed carry permits and both of us carry concealed.

I have been the victim of an intruder who threatened my then wife and child by putting a gun to her head -

He did not even see me when I pulled the trigger, twice, and put two bullets into his head - saving my wife and child.

I disagree with you on just about every point you made. While you may not like handguns, the fact remains that each of us has a choice: You - don't own one - don't want one. And, that is fine.

Me: I own handguns. I want them. And, that is fine.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:00 PM

10,296 posts, read 9,975,609 times
The purpose that you are obviously hinting around about is to shoot someone in self defense during an attempted crime. If you do not believe in self defense, that is your right in this country as is it the right to also believe in protecting oneself. I don't have a handgun myself. So in a situation where it would come in handy, I am at the mercy of the lowlife who is accosting me. If it comes to the point that I am no longer willing to take the risk, I'll get a handgun. Simple. My choice.

My father has a handgun called 'The Judge' which shoots four-ten shotgun loads and I think 357 mag shells. He keeps it loaded by his bed. Believe me, if you break into his house, you will not get the gun away from him, and you will not get out of the house alive. He knows how to use it. And guess what? He's not 'paranoid'; he'd never hurt a fly unless his life or property was being threatened. I know it's hard for many of you sheep to understand, but some people take their safety into their own hands. I suggest not tirelessly worrying about it and questioning it. You will never understand them, and they will never understand you. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates