U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2009, 01:39 PM
 
325 posts, read 1,007,341 times
Reputation: 169

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Lentzr: I have a number of handguns. My wife has several as well. We both have concealed carry permits and both of us carry concealed.

I have been the victim of an intruder who threatened my then wife and child by putting a gun to her head -

He did not even see me when I pulled the trigger, twice, and put two bullets into his head - saving my wife and child.

I disagree with you on just about every point you made. While you may not like handguns, the fact remains that each of us has a choice: You - don't own one - don't want one. And, that is fine.

Me: I own handguns. I want them. And, that is fine.

Ditto.

I am a married female that has a concealed permit and carry a handgun in my glove box and keep one under my side of the bed....as does my husband. ( we have no children, so the guns are not going to harm anyone else).
I am not a "fraidy cat", like some people think of people who keep guns in their homes. I choose to have the option to protect myself if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2009, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,194 posts, read 17,697,396 times
Reputation: 7981
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
You are paranoid!
I guess having auto insurance makes me paranoid, too, since I've never needed to use it and hopefully, never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 PM
 
1,718 posts, read 1,991,284 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I would like to commend the municipal governments of DC, Chicago and San Francisco for outlawing handguns. I find these types of firearms completely unnecessary. Hunters do not hunt with handguns. One can always keep a rifle or shotgun as protection if you fear for your safety...eventhough it is much more likely that the gun will be taken from you and used against you! Don't think that a home invasion robber will give you time to load up your gun! Let alone the fact that child will suffer from accidents from these firearms because of their parents irresponsiblity (this will always happen). Additionally, I do not see the desire to even have fun with these types of weapons. BANG! The glass bottle breaks! WHO-HO! So much fun at the expense of our society!

The gun lobby makes the claim that most guns used by criminals are bought illegally. However, trace the history of that gun to its very beginning...I doubt street thugs are manufacturing their own guns...some may be smuggled in but these I am sure would be harder to get.

Let's not get into the second admendment...That is for another forum.

I know this will not reduce the homicide rate too much, but even if it is a little, I feel that it is worth it. Why should people have to suffer just so some yahoos can shut up empty beer bottles?
Yep, I carry a rifle in the glove compartment in my car. No sweat. Don't need a hand gun. I'll just carry my rifle around with me where ever I go. No sweat. I'll just stick my rifle down my pants if I don't want to cause any alarm by the presence of a fireaem. I won't be able to wear shorts, however. No sweat. No need for a hand gun. I'll just strap my rifle to me somehow if I need both hands to do something. No big deal.

I wonder why the police don't know that its just as easy to carry a rifle???

- Reel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 03:24 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,340 posts, read 10,914,229 times
Reputation: 12290
I own several handguns, revolvers and autos, and use them all the time for constructive purposes. Should the need ever arise (again) that one of them be used to defend my family or my self, they are there. In the meantime, we train, compete and enjoy the shooting sports. My son is 13, and is currently competing in B class. He has 4 matches under his belt and is almost ready to move to A class. If he keeps going the way he is he could have a future in the shooting sports. Whats wrong with that? Here we have people freaking out because 'handguns are only good for killing'. Such blatant ignorance about shooters and the shooting sports is insulting. Particularly so, because the ones doing all the name calling and ignorant generalization claim some type of intellectual high ground. These people have zero experience with handguns, or shooting of any kind, which is obvious when they talk about all we shooting types busting beer bottles and grinning like idiots. Catch a clue. Come see for yourself what we are REALLY all about. What are you afraid of? Use the internet for something besides posting anti shooting rhetoric that has no basis in fact. Look up 'competitive shooting' for your area, go check out a meet and see what shooting enthusiasts are really like. We are not a bunch of wannabe Rambos or ignorant toothless beer swilling buffoons. The atmosphere of a shooting competition is anything but dangerous and trashy. So, see for yourselves. Whatcha got to lose? Except your ignorance.

Last edited by NVplumber; 07-14-2009 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 03:25 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 4,833,758 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I would like to commend the municipal governments of DC, Chicago and San Francisco for outlawing handguns. I find these types of firearms completely unnecessary. Hunters do not hunt with handguns. One can always keep a rifle or shotgun as protection if you fear for your safety...eventhough it is much more likely that the gun will be taken from you and used against you! Don't think that a home invasion robber will give you time to load up your gun! Let alone the fact that child will suffer from accidents from these firearms because of their parents irresponsiblity (this will always happen). Additionally, I do not see the desire to even have fun with these types of weapons. BANG! The glass bottle breaks! WHO-HO! So much fun at the expense of our society!

The gun lobby makes the claim that most guns used by criminals are bought illegally. However, trace the history of that gun to its very beginning...I doubt street thugs are manufacturing their own guns...some may be smuggled in but these I am sure would be harder to get.

Let's not get into the second admendment...That is for another forum.

I know this will not reduce the homicide rate too much, but even if it is a little, I feel that it is worth it. Why should people have to suffer just so some yahoos can shut up empty beer bottles?
the scary thing to me is that a large percentage of the gun control crowd is this uneducated and misinformed. so, as our rights are further whittled away with the passing of each year, i can sleep tight knowing that it is people like this that are making it happen.

good thing i can also sleep tight knowing that people like this are coming up with the ideas on how to protect our newly disarmed citizens, and how to somehow disarm the bad guys that *still* haven't listened to any of these gun control laws in the first place.

good thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 04:19 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,366 posts, read 9,996,933 times
Reputation: 9114
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
...ignorant toothless beer swilling buffoons.
Okay, I have to admit that one made me laugh.

Actually, I see those types around now and again, but they are usually too drunk to handle a firearm or too busy searching through the motor blocks in the front yard for a part to fix the rod knock in their pick-um-up-truck. Or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 04:20 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,455 posts, read 21,482,977 times
Reputation: 8412
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I would like to commend the municipal governments of DC, Chicago and San Francisco for outlawing handguns. I find these types of firearms completely unnecessary. Hunters do not hunt with handguns. One can always keep a rifle or shotgun as protection if you fear for your safety...eventhough it is much more likely that the gun will be taken from you and used against you! Don't think that a home invasion robber will give you time to load up your gun! Let alone the fact that child will suffer from accidents from these firearms because of their parents irresponsiblity (this will always happen). Additionally, I do not see the desire to even have fun with these types of weapons. BANG! The glass bottle breaks! WHO-HO! So much fun at the expense of our society!

The gun lobby makes the claim that most guns used by criminals are bought illegally. However, trace the history of that gun to its very beginning...I doubt street thugs are manufacturing their own guns...some may be smuggled in but these I am sure would be harder to get.

Let's not get into the second admendment...That is for another forum.

I know this will not reduce the homicide rate too much, but even if it is a little, I feel that it is worth it. Why should people have to suffer just so some yahoos can shut up empty beer bottles?
I don't need a home invader to give me time to load my guns...they're already loaded, and hidden in good locations. All I need to do is grab the gun right next to me if I hear someone break in downstairs...and BTW many people have been saved because they had guns. Guns do not guarantee you will survive an attack, but they increase greatly your odds of doing so.

I grew up with guns. No accidents. I knew very well I absolutely did not want to touch my father's gun without his permission and presence. That handgun of his, BTW, was my grandfather's Colt 1911 he got in 1916 and used in two world wars and Korea...he had 12 children, none of whom were ever hurt by it or his other guns (his collection makes mine look small, unfortunately for me my uncles got most of them). My father has had several children, none of whom were hurt by that gun.

Most criminals' guns are stolen or smuggled in. They will never follow any gun laws. Anyone who would be willing to kill a person except in self-defense, will simply ignore any other law as well.

The murder rate up here in VT, and neighboring NH and ME, states with very loose gun laws, is lower than DC, NJ, NY, IL, RI, CA or MA, states with very strict gun laws. VT is far safer than the UK where handguns are banned. Most criminals are afraid to attack people here, someone might shoot them. They mostly stick with hurting each other.

And for your info...many people hunt with handguns, many like myself use a .22 handgun extensively while trapping, and it's more than shooting bottles. I have a small collection of antiques, including muzzleloading guns. Quite rewarding to restore and try to get accurate with them. Takes lots of practice and skill to shoot accurately. Many carry large bore handguns for bear protection in places like Alaska or other states. These people might have had a better chance if they were armed: Three years later, Pinnacle Lake Trail murders still unsolved

I'd prefer to give myself a chance at surviving if attacked rather than be rendered defenseless in the vain hope that murderers will follow gun laws even though they will not follow anti-murder laws.

And I will go into the Second Amendment, there's a very good reason it exists: so we don't become like China, North Korea, Cuba, Russia, etc. An unarmed people are entirely at the mercy of the government, which controls the military and police.

BTW: both DC and San Francisco lost in court with their handgun bans. Chicago is next. NYC's, NJ's, MA's and so forth's, restrictive laws on both guns and carrying will be a target once we get incorporation from the SCOTUS.

And the police have no duty to protect you either, according to the SCOTUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 04:22 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,455 posts, read 21,482,977 times
Reputation: 8412
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
RVLover, people live in much worse places than you, like DC and do not own handguns! You are paranoid! Anyway, if the remote possibility occurs that you are attacked, they'll even give you the chance to even pull out your gun?
Training...most criminals don't have it and if you do you have a reasonable chance of stopping them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 04:24 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,455 posts, read 21,482,977 times
Reputation: 8412
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Secondly, maybe just maybe, avid hunters sportsmen could be made an exception if shown that they have a serious interest in the sport...just like police officers will be given that exception. However, I do not feel the need...not even for a false-sense of security...that the average joe should be allowed to own one.
Great, you don't feel a need to have one. So don't get one. But don't even attempt to infringe on my right to have one. Self-defense, and the right to carry a weapon for protection, is a basic human instinct and right, going back to the first humans. Some person detached from reality in some city won't take it from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 04:26 PM
 
Location: The Milky Way Galaxy
2,256 posts, read 5,907,071 times
Reputation: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Great, you don't feel a need to have one. So don't get one. But don't even attempt to infringe on my right to have one. Self-defense, and the right to carry a weapon for protection, is a basic human instinct and right, going back to the first humans. Some person detached from reality in some city won't take it from me.
My thoughts exactly. The only way the government will take away my gun is from my cold dead hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top