U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,943,851 times

Advertisements

I would like to commend the municipal governments of DC, Chicago and San Francisco for outlawing handguns. I find these types of firearms completely unnecessary. Hunters do not hunt with handguns. One can always keep a rifle or shotgun as protection if you fear for your safety...eventhough it is much more likely that the gun will be taken from you and used against you! Don't think that a home invasion robber will give you time to load up your gun! Let alone the fact that child will suffer from accidents from these firearms because of their parents irresponsiblity (this will always happen). Additionally, I do not see the desire to even have fun with these types of weapons. BANG! The glass bottle breaks! WHO-HO! So much fun at the expense of our society!

The gun lobby makes the claim that most guns used by criminals are bought illegally. However, trace the history of that gun to its very beginning...I doubt street thugs are manufacturing their own guns...some may be smuggled in but these I am sure would be harder to get.

Let's not get into the second admendment...That is for another forum.

I know this will not reduce the homicide rate too much, but even if it is a little, I feel that it is worth it. Why should people have to suffer just so some yahoos can shut up empty beer bottles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,643,031 times
To me, the purpose of the handguns i own, are for self defense especially when i RV around the country. I sincerely hope i never ever have to fire upon another human being. I wish i didnt have to own them or carry them...but...it is absolutely necessary to level the playing field since theres so many Undesirables in America who put the value of human life on the same level as an Ant for their self-centered gain.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:58 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,925,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I would like to commend the municipal governments of DC, Chicago and San Francisco for outlawing handguns. I find these types of firearms completely unnecessary. Hunters do not hunt with handguns. One can always keep a rifle or shotgun as protection if you fear for your safety...eventhough it is much more likely that the gun will be taken from you and used against you! Don't think that a home invasion robber will give you time to load up your gun! Let alone the fact that child will suffer from accidents from these firearms because of their parents irresponsiblity (this will always happen). Additionally, I do not see the desire to even have fun with these types of weapons. BANG! The glass bottle breaks! WHO-HO! So much fun at the expense of our society!

The gun lobby makes the claim that most guns used by criminals are bought illegally. However, trace the history of that gun to its very beginning...I doubt street thugs are manufacturing their own guns...some may be smuggled in but these I am sure would be harder to get.

I know this will not reduce the homicide rate too much, but even if it is a little, I feel that it is worth it. Why should people have to suffer just so some yahoos can shut up empty beer bottles?
Mmm Hmmm. You need to get out more. Handguns are used for many purposes besides shooting at bottles (serious shooters do not shoot at glass anyway). Top three on the list are self defense, competition and hunting. Yes, handguns are used regularly for hunting. My son and I compete in Steel Challenge, IPSC/USPSA, Bullseye and IDPA shooting, all with handguns. The latter are HUGE sports on an international scale, Steel, Bullseye and IPSC action pistol being Olympic events now. So, if you feel our sport is somehow victimizing our society, could you clarify a bit more, beyond hateful and unfounded generalizations?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,029,115 times
While I don't own or use guns anymore there is use for them as tools of self defense or putting food on the table in times of need. In fact the invention of the gun was the outgrowth of the need to put food on the table centuries ago.

That said, your attitude towards the gun will win you many friends who themselves have never needed a gun so they,like
you, could never comprehend the purpose of the gun.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,375,671 times
Actually, in the event of a home invasion I don't think I'm very likely to have my shotgun taken away... In my county people get shot and/or killed breaking into homes with some degree of frequency. I'm not aware of a single case of a homeowner being disarmed and injured or killed with his or her own weapon.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 AM

RVLover, people live in much worse places than you, like DC and do not own handguns! You are paranoid! Anyway, if the remote possibility occurs that you are attacked, they'll even give you the chance to even pull out your gun?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 AM

Secondly, maybe just maybe, avid hunters sportsmen could be made an exception if shown that they have a serious interest in the sport...just like police officers will be given that exception. However, I do not feel the need...not even for a false-sense of security...that the average joe should be allowed to own one.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 AM

532 posts, read 1,065,958 times
Q: What's the purpose of handguns?

A: To shoot stuff.

(I am fine without one, I have my trusty Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle for protection. Black Bart will be well served to stay off my property!)

Old 07-14-2009, 11:23 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,052,299 times
Quote:
I would like to commend the municipal governments of DC, Chicago and San Francisco for outlawing handguns. I find these types of firearms completely unnecessary. Hunters do not hunt with handguns.
Yes they do. Hunting with a hand gun is a different challenge, all in itself.

Quote:
One can always keep a rifle or shotgun as protection if you fear for your safety...eventhough it is much more likely that the gun will be taken from you and used against you! Don't think that a home invasion robber will give you time to load up your gun!
This is why you have your gun already loaded. It does you little favor keeping it empty. If you read reports about home burglaries or home invasions where the home owner was armed, its always the bad guy leaving wounded or dead - I have never heard of someone having their own gun used against them in that situation.

Quote:
Let alone the fact that child will suffer from accidents from these firearms because of their parents irresponsiblity (this will always happen).
I grew up with firearms in the house. My father taught me to shoot before I could ride a bike, let alone walk efficiently. No accidents happened. My brother too, and the in-home daycare that my mother had with other peoples children - not a single person ever got hurt by one of the firearms. It is called responsibility.

Quote:
Additionally, I do not see the desire to even have fun with these types of weapons. BANG! The glass bottle breaks! WHO-HO! So much fun at the expense of our society!

I'll leave the shooting for recreation thing alone, as you obviously don't get it and I think nothing will ever change that.

Dismissing the 2nd because its for another forum? Sounds like an easy way to try and circumvent an argument you know you can't win.

Quote:
No one is allowed to have guns in Britain yet their crime rate is horrible. Criminals still have guns there, and relish in the fact that they know that their victims are not armed, and not legally able to resist.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:27 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,052,299 times
Quote:
RVLover, people live in much worse places than you, like DC and do not own handguns! You are paranoid! Anyway, if the remote possibility occurs that you are attacked, they'll even give you the chance to even pull out your gun?
Considering I've had a person with the intent on either robbing, or hurting me, pull a gun and point it at my face, and he gave me the chance to take it from him and give him a good whack with it on the side of his head - I'd say getting my own weapon out and a round off, is a pretty good possibility for those who have gotten the training one should have if keeping firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates