Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:34 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times

Advertisements

Im speaking primarily of the 'F' word and 'S' word. It seems in the past when folks used these words, it was done with some sense of awareness, consideration for others, and was said somewhat quietly. Today, the frequency and loudness of these 2 words in particular, seem to rear their head in virtually any and every situation . I remember reading in the newspaper about a Father who was paddling a canoe down a quiet river with his family of young children in Michigan...only to come upon a few Guys who were echoing the 'F' word up and down that river from where they were on-shore ; when the Father asked if they could stop using that word because his children were present, one of the Guys told him to 'F' off.

Is it time for these 2 words to be unlawful to use in public , with heavy fines appropriated in the name of common decency ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 03:37 PM

481 posts, read 942,913 times
I may be a Democrat, but even I don't want the gov't dictating what I can and cannot say.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:37 PM

115 posts, read 353,769 times
it would also be one step closer to comunism. Who is going to enforce it ? As much as I disloke people doing a whole lot of rude things in public including using that language, or wearing it on there cloths in public, you just cant make laws out of the blue like that, its the whole free speech thing that some people love to misuse

Old 07-15-2009, 03:43 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Im speaking primarily of the 'F' word and 'S' word. It seems in the past when folks used these words, it was done with some sense of awareness, consideration for others, and was said somewhat quietly. Today, the frequency and loudness of these 2 words in particular, seem to rear their head in virtually any and every situation . I remember reading in the newspaper about a Father who was paddling a canoe down a quiet river with his family of young children in Michigan...only to come upon a few Guys who were echoing the 'F' word up and down that river from where they were on-shore ; when the Father asked if they could stop using that word because his children were present, one of the Guys told him to 'F' off.

Is it time for these 2 words to be unlawful to use in public , with heavy fines appropriated in the name of common decency ?

Well, if you walk up to a police officer or have him walk up to you and say four letter words then you will more than likely win a trip to jail on disorderly conduct. So, its more a matter of whom you say it to at this point.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
There was sucn a law until a few years ago, when the supreme court struck itn down.

freedomforum.org: Cussing canoeist's conviction thrown out, along with 105-year-old law

"The appeals panel said it would be "difficult to conceive of a statute that would be more vague," and that it violated the First Amendment guarantee of free speech."

Louisiana tried to pass a law prohibiting six obscene words on bumper stickers, but feared First Amendment challenges, and reworded the law to limit the six words to one-eighth inch font.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-15-2009 at 03:56 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 04:28 PM

481 posts, read 942,913 times
Plus who gets to decide what words are deamed "unlawful"? I can think of a lot worse words then f**k or s**t. I think words that deamen groups of people like the n-word or the f-word that some use to slander gays, etc. are much worse and a lot more hurtful.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:45 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times
The thought of censoring speech by law is absurd at the least. The people who use them freely are indecent and usually trashy people, & life catches up to those folks. As far as words that hurt peoples' feelings, too bad. There should never be any law protecting "feelings".

Old 07-15-2009, 04:50 PM

593 posts, read 2,893,334 times
Quote:
Uh oh... Here come the word police.
I'd rather see a law making it unlawful to bring kids into the public.
Just keep them inside the house away from the TV, magazines, newspapers, books and anywhere they may see a naughty word.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:03 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
So which words will be next to be banned in the name of "common decency"? Who makes that determination?

Not only is it a very slippery slope you're advocating walking upon, but it's also very un-American and blatantly unconstitutional.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:05 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
While I'd LOVE to hear 'Four-Letter words' confined to a setting in which they belong..(a construction site....a blue-collar 'dive'....a 'biker bar') rather than in the midst of 'polite (?) society', the fact is that any attempt to legislate this, by making words illegal, would only result in a lot of PC nonsense and an end-run around the law, and people would be saying the same things ANYWAY....perhaps even more than before. Humans, by nature, don't like to be 'told' what to say, or not to say....and they'd only rebel and make a mockery out of any such attempt to 'clean up' the language. Does the term "bee-otch" REALLY sound better than the REAL term, "b*tch"? I think not...it just draws more attention.

'Clean language' and proper grammar have value because they're a 'choice', not because they're compelled by law. Those who persist in foul language should be controlled by peer pressure, not by lawsuits. Anything else creates a legal quagmire with no end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates