Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,192,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Is it time for these 2 words to be unlawful to use in public , with heavy fines appropriated in the name of common decency ?
No, it is not time to infringe on the right of Freedom of Speech.

I might not like the speech / words you use - but I will defend your right to use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 05:27 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,895,088 times
Quote:
Im speaking primarily of the 'F' word and 'S' word. It seems in the past when folks used these words, it was done with some sense of awareness, consideration for others, and was said somewhat quietly. Today, the frequency and loudness of these 2 words in particular, seem to rear their head in virtually any and every situation . I remember reading in the newspaper about a Father who was paddling a canoe down a quiet river with his family of young children in Michigan...only to come upon a few Guys who were echoing the 'F' word up and down that river from where they were on-shore ; when the Father asked if they could stop using that word because his children were present, one of the Guys told him to 'F' off.

Is it time for these 2 words to be unlawful to use in public , with heavy fines appropriated in the name of common decency ?

I think its stupid that people are offended by curse words. How does "****" or "****" offend anyone? It does not demean anyone. It is simply words that people arbitrarily decided were "bad". It should be based on context, not simply banning the word.

My good friend's last name is Phuc...he's from Vietman. Wanna know how to pronounce otter in French...it's the same as the "F" word. It's all abritrary.

The worst insults I've recieved were not traditional swear words. In fact, some of the best compliments I've recieved involved swear words.

Let's all be adult about it and not play stupid childish games like trying to levy laws against freedom of expression.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:59 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,044,390 times
'
'
There was sucn a law until a few years ago, when the supreme court struck itn down.

freedomforum.org: Cussing canoeist's conviction thrown out, along with 105-year-old law

"The appeals panel said it would be "difficult to conceive of a statute that would be more vague," and that it violated the First Amendment guarantee of free speech."

REPLY: Do you get the feeling that our freedom laws are backfiring on us , and making the U.S. the trash-heap of the world ?

'Louisiana tried to pass a law prohibiting six obscene words on bumper stickers, but feared First Amendment challenges, and reworded the law to limit the six words to one-eighth inch font.
'Clean language' and proper grammar have value because they're a 'choice', not because they're compelled by law. Those who persist in foul language should be controlled by peer pressure, not by lawsuits. Anything else creates a legal quagmire with no end.[/quote]'

REPLY: Can you suggest methods of peer pressure that would work ?

Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 PM

12,919 posts, read 13,606,000 times
No ,Lenny Bruce Died For our sins already

Old 07-15-2009, 06:34 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,659,793 times
I really doubt it when the supreme courts bascia rerson for making things like shooting the finger or such language in public places leagal was that it had become ;commo language of the people. It can still be used in cases of assault thouhgt as fighting words.Just shows what our courts think of the stae of civility in the nation;really

Old 07-15-2009, 06:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,465,700 times
Quote:

Oh good grief, of all the things that need fixing, this ain't even on the long list.

Besides there are some people that need to be told to f-off

Old 07-15-2009, 07:11 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,044,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Oh good grief, of all the things that need fixing, this ain't even on the long list.

Besides there are some people that need to be told to f-off
Are you condoning vile and foul language then ? Or do you find these 2 words in particular just a casual form of expression / fun descriptive words ?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:06 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,069,698 times
No no no. Enough with this nanny state! Seriously, outlawing words? Am I in an episode of South Park?

Once it starts, where would it end? Where could it lead? How would we pay for extra law enforcement to enforce this? Would we just rely on everyone snitching on everyone via Stalin-era style?

It sounds so Orwellian thought-police it's terrifying.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:04 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,213,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
No ,Lenny Bruce Died For our sins already

Holy cow, I almost hit the floor.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,106,291 times
Well, it looks like my time spent on the basketball court would get a lot costlier if this were to happen, as it would for most everyone else I play with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates