U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,906,180 times

Advertisements

Not looking for a debate, but just curious about something.

We are be bombarded with information on how to cut down on our energy use. Lower electrical usuage equals less global warming,.....you have heard it. While it's true and I agree that we should be more conservitive....
.....Is there any movement going on to restrict the lighting in big sports stadiums? Even the smallest towns have well lit sports fields.

What about the air conditioning and heating in the big domed stadiums? Is anyone talking about eliminating that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 08:36 PM

3,911 posts, read 4,736,849 times
No, the movement seems to be to tax the hell out of them. Unless they have the right political connections. Its all gonna get real dirty with tax and trade. Its about money and power, not the environment. keep up.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:52 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,613,725 times
They just keep raising the ticket prices to pay for the stadium lighting.

They never need to heat a big domed stadium. They don't even have to heat shopping malls in Minnesota. The lights and the people inside generate enough heat, that they have the AC on, even in January.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:13 AM

19,289 posts, read 20,169,227 times
Why don't they just invite all the homeless people in Minnnesota to spend winter nights in the mall to heat it up, then kick them out in the morning after giving them a doughnut, a cup of coffee, and a couple of bucks?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:45 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,452,023 times
As strange as that post was, I do like where your coming from, using problems in society that need to be fixed, for the good until we magically find away to end poverty. My sister said residence should go without power for one day a month, we could section it by neighborhoods, just turn off your TV and lights and pretend your in a snow storm and break out the board games and candles! I wish we could set something like that up, you'd have to have the option of power for an emergency but if we could agree on that I think it would be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates