Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:49 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Of the ones named, would you say the less diverse (race, religion, ideology) cultures seem to be the more contented?
I don't think that's it, though it certainly does contribute.

I really think it stems from an inner peace that is a result of a person knowing who and what he/she is, feeling secure about the future and at peace with the present. It's a transcendent peace. Some rural people have it, as well as some urban people. People of all races seem to have it, though not all people of all races.

It's very much an inner-peace, not a result of outward or circumstantial trappings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 01:06 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
'It's a ***transcendent peace***. Some rural people have it, as well as some urban people. People of all races seem to have it, though not all people of all races.

It's very much an inner-peace, not a result of outward or circumstantial trappings.'

Indeed !

Old 07-21-2009, 01:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Yes, you just cant beat the teachings of Christ .
I can't ignore them either. You guys won't let me.

Many of the teachings of Christ were so obvioius, it would have taken a moron to disagree with their moral rectitude. Christ was like a broken clock. Sometimes, he was right.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I can't ignore them either. You guys won't let me.

Many of the teachings of Christ were so obvioius, it would have taken a moron to disagree with their moral rectitude. Christ was like a broken clock. Sometimes, he was right.
Are you willing to go the next step concerning Jesus Christ ; to closely and objectively investigate his claims , the proof of his diety, and historical evidence in a scrutinizing manner ? : http://www.impactapologetics.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=455 (broken link)

Old 07-21-2009, 08:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
You can't even present proof that there IS a deity, and you think you have proof that a certain person is THE diety? Do you even know the meaning of the word "objective"? Objective means none of the evidence is based on faith alone. Here's the source of your "proof":

ImpactApologetics.com began in 1996 with the purpose of serving God by making the works of Dr. Norman L Geisler, one of the world's leading defenders of the Christian faith, easily available (for just $75). We have since added to our list of speakers some of the most dynamic apologists of our generation.

Here's what Wikipedia says Geisler does when somebody disagrees with him

"Geisler also left the Evangelical Theological Society in 2003, after it did not expel Clark Pinnock, who advocates open theism."

Can't you find somebody real to present objective proof to me? Someone who isn't becoming a millionaire selling his proof on DVD?

Last edited by jtur88; 07-21-2009 at 08:38 PM..

Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You can't even present proof that there IS a deity, and you think you have proof that a certain person is THE diety? Do you even know the meaning of the word "objective"? Objective means none of the evidence is based on faith alone. Here's the source of your "proof":

ImpactApologetics.com began in 1996 with the purpose of serving God by making the works of Dr. Norman L Geisler, one of the world's leading defenders of the Christian faith, easily available (for just $75). We have since added to our list of speakers some of the most dynamic apologists of our generation.

Here's what Wikipedia says Geisler does when somebody disagrees with him

"Geisler also left the Evangelical Theological Society in 2003, after it did not expel Clark Pinnock, who advocates open theism."

Can't you find somebody real to present objective proof to me? Someone who isn't becoming a millionaire selling his proof on DVD?
On the other hand, maybe you should provide some objective proof to back up YOUR belief system. You seem to have all sorts of venomous contempt for religions, why not provide us some of that concrete, credible proof that you stand on?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:48 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Therein lies the age-old problem. There is no proof either way. It's the main reason I seldom offer my opinion on the matter. I don't know what I'm talking about, just as anyone else who holds an opinion on the matter doesn’t know what he/she is talking about.

Theists are so sure of themselves. And atheists are just as cocky (often even more so). I can’t put my eggs into the basket of anyone who can’t possibly know that what he/she is arguing so passionately for is even true. So, it's a case of wait and see. If one side is right, we move on after this life. If the other is right, we won’t be around to worry about it; we won’t exist. In the mean time, we just do our best to be decent people.

As for this tying into contented people: I think the more contented people have their opinion on such matters, keep it to themselves, allow others to develop their own opinion, and respect those opinions. Those who are least content are the ones who try to force-feed their belief system down everyone else’s throats and are intolerant of other beliefs. Of course, certain religions are better at force-feeding and certain atheists are great at force-feeding too.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Therein lies the age-old problem. There is no proof either way.

As for this tying into contented people: I think the more contented people have their opinion on such matters, keep it to themselves, allow others to develop their own opinion, and respect those opinions. Those who are least content are the ones who try to force-feed their belief system down everyone else’s throats and are intolerant of other beliefs. Of course, certain religions are better at force-feeding and certain atheists are great at force-feeding too.
Well said.

I'll never understand why some people, no matter *what* they believe, feel the need to wear their ideologies on their sleeve--let alone force it on others.

They must be very unhappy, yet don't even recognize their sadness.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:29 AM

[quote=jtur88;9882692]You can't even present proof that there IS a deity, and you think you have proof that a certain person is THE diety?

REPLY: Of course , one must not have an apriori-commitment in order to objectively examine something ; do you come to the table with your mind already made up ? I used to as an alleged atheist .

Objective means none of the evidence is based on faith alone.

REPLY: Agree. I refused to believe in and follow Christianity based on faith alone , or, anything else for that matter. I came based on scientific evidence which i was WILLING to consider . It takes a whole lot more faith to be an atheist than a Theist/Christian ; in fact, an incredible amount that even atheists themselves denounce (IE: Atheist Dr. Francis Crick).

REPLY: If someone was teaching heresy , then i say kuds to Geisler !.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:45 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Well said.

I'll never understand why some people, no matter *what* they believe, feel the need to wear their ideologies on their sleeve--let alone force it on others.

They must be very unhappy, yet don't even recognize their sadness.
I don't think that they're necessarily unhappy. Just insecure. Or, even worse, conceited to the degree that they feel compelled to rescue the rest of us from our ignorance. It is this, more than anything else, which keeps me from becoming a political "progressive": the smug and blatant self-righteousness of so many of them. Their blind hypocrisy -- bleating about tolerance while demonstrating absolute intolerance for those who dare to disagree with them --would be sad if it were not so wryly amusing.

I feel the same way about some Christians, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates