U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2009, 03:04 PM
 
3,700 posts, read 3,027,760 times
Reputation: 10007

Advertisements

It seems as though we are now a country divided against each other, I have wondered if there is any hope of reconciliation between those on the liberal side and those on the conservative side.

I think we appear to be the dis-united states in the minds of many foreigner's. I just want to add that, a lot of us are certainly old enough now to see the little difference the two parties platforms have on our everyday life, why all the bickering? Will either party save us now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2009, 03:18 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
Reputation: 17978
No; I thnik the country has become devided into those who pay into the government and those who don't and want to spend the money. 50% pay no federal income tax and 69% use more services than they pay for. Bascially the people with some skin in the game don't want to keep paying more and more for those who want to decide and yet have no skin in the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 04:35 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,336 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Reputation: 9086
I really think we can forget ever coming together as a nation. Two ideologies are clashing and neither side can look beyond their diktat. I can't predict the future, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see sort of a Balkanization effect sometime down the road. I know that sounds bad, but it might actually be good in so much as the residents of these states can work to develop a unity rather than destroy the country in disunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 04:42 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,461,476 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
It seems as though we are now a country divided against each other, I have wondered if there is any hope of reconciliation between those on the liberal side and those on the conservative side.

I think we appear to be the dis-united states in the minds of many foreigner's. I just want to add that, a lot of us are certainly old enough now to see the little difference the two parties platforms have on our everyday life, why all the bickering? Will either party save us now?
We don't need to "come together" as a nation, regarding ideologies. In fact, we shouldn't. We need the debate. We need the checks & balances.

What we do need to do is be non-violent, civil and open-minded in our discourse and debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 04:58 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,336 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Reputation: 9086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
We don't need to "come together" as a nation, regarding ideologies. In fact, we shouldn't. We need the debate. We need the checks & balances.

What we do need to do is be non-violent, civil and open-minded in our discourse and debate.
While I can agree with you in principle, the problem I see is that those ‘checks and balances’ are being purposefully and methodically euthanized. Once the process reaches a certain point and the pendulum swings so far that it falls from its mount, those who believe in the founding principles will have no choice but to leave or rebel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,421 posts, read 16,686,996 times
Reputation: 16425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
We don't need to "come together" as a nation, regarding ideologies. In fact, we shouldn't. We need the debate. We need the checks & balances.

What we do need to do is be non-violent, civil and open-minded in our discourse and debate.
Absolutely. We need varying points of view. Specifically on *issures* with out restorting to labels for ideologies. But sadly we seem to be sinking faster into a label ready society. Look at any discussion which hinges on politics. A couple of posts down someone has to interject that the liberals are blah blah blah or the conservatives or the democrats or the republicans or some stand in name. This isnt discussion or debate.

We need to encourage independent thought about individual issures, not plaster labels. We also need to allow reality in. We need to learn to compromise too. Lately some of our politicos sound more like kids on the playground.

The one hopeful thing is the rise in those not affiliated with either party or point of view. That it matters that the president is less popular among independents is a very important thing becasuse it means there are enough to matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 05:02 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,461,476 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
While I can agree with you in principle, the problem I see is that those ‘checks and balances’ are being purposefully and methodically euthanized. Once the process reaches a certain point and the pendulum swings so far that it falls from its mount, those who believe in the founding principles will have no choice but to leave or rebel.
In what way do you see that happening? Are you thinking of something specific?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Reputation: 35864
If we were not polarized, how would we know what we wanted to be when we got together? When we do get together, does everybody have to want the same thing? What should that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No; I thnik the country has become devided into those who pay into the government and those who don't and want to spend the money. 50% pay no federal income tax and 69% use more services than they pay for. Bascially the people with some skin in the game don't want to keep paying more and more for those who want to decide and yet have no skin in the game.
Well, guess what, texdav. In that wonderful private health insurance scheme that you are so in love with, a lot of the patients use much much more health and medical services than they pay for, and that money is stolen by insurance companies from hard working people like you who are personally responsible.

Isn't it interesting the way somebody posts a thread, and the very first reply to it is one of the whiners who thinks the only good things in the country ought to go to the greedy and cunning, who know how to grab it all for themselves, and wants to rant and rave over and over again about the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 05:19 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,461,476 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Absolutely. We need varying points of view. Specifically on *issures* with out restorting to labels for ideologies. But sadly we seem to be sinking faster into a label ready society. Look at any discussion which hinges on politics. A couple of posts down someone has to interject that the liberals are blah blah blah or the conservatives or the democrats or the republicans or some stand in name. This isnt discussion or debate.
Hmmmm... Not sure I can agree completely with that, though the label part is certainly true.

Despite all the rhetoric, I think we're heading in the right direction - not necessarily ideologically - but in the area of discourse. We're doing more talking, and less fist-fighting.


The people on the extremes of both conservative and liberal ideologies are being marginalized, and almost everyone in between is at least talking. I think that's progress in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 07:06 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,336 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Reputation: 9086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Hmmmm... Not sure I can agree completely with that, though the label part is certainly true.

Despite all the rhetoric, I think we're heading in the right direction - not necessarily ideologically - but in the area of discourse. We're doing more talking, and less fist-fighting.


The people on the extremes of both conservative and liberal ideologies are being marginalized, and almost everyone in between is at least talking. I think that's progress in the right direction.
Yes, if we could chop off about a quarter of the extremes on both ends (and mix some independent, logical thinking in), we may actually have a chance at getting something useful happening politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top