Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:29 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times

Advertisements

The United States is one of the countries in the world with more backward beliefs, with a large percentage of the population inmersed in weird beliefs associated with strange religions and ideologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 09:38 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
The United States is one of the countries in the world with more backward beliefs, with a large percentage of the population inmersed in weird beliefs associated with strange religions and ideologies.
Making that kind of statement requires a baseline for "correct thought". Good luck with that.

I might find some Amish stuff strange but who am I to judge them....you don't see a lot of obese Amish with liver failure and a 3 pack a day habit.

Besides, if someone wants to believe that god doesn't exist and that playing x-box and smoking blunts all day is a good use of their time then perhaps there are some that might find their lifestyle and "beliefs" backward.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Making that kind of statement requires a baseline for "correct thought". Good luck with that.

I might find some Amish stuff strange but who am I to judge them....you don't see a lot of obese Amish with liver failure and a 3 pack a day habit.

Besides, if someone wants to believe that god doesn't exist and that playing x-box and smoking blunts all day is a good use of their time then perhaps there are some that might find their lifestyle and "beliefs" backward.
Rectifying a slipped cog, the OP here is about a particular "weird belief", and the entire discussion relates to being able to tell a weird belief from an unweird one. I.e., a baseline for correct thought. Indeed, who are we to judge them?

The OP question was "Do you believe that ignorance should persist in the world in the face of what science knows about disabilities?"

Defining "what science knows" is rather problematic, when it conflicts with what faith believes.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:07 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
My question isn't about abortion nor is it about figs.

When someone in a developing nation takes a disabled child out of their home, buries them up to their necks in sand during an eclipse in the hope of curing them of their disability, am I as a citizen of the western world supposed to, nod my head and smile and "respect" their cultural beliefs, or look a them like ignorant savages who bay at the moon? Because I find it extremely difficult to respect a culture of people who do this to disabled children.
Before I could answer your question, I'd have to know whether or not any of the children were actually harmed by this action. If not, who cares? Let the parents perform whatever harmless rituals they wish. It's not up to us to change their culture.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:08 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
If it's something barbaric, and the country depends on handouts from other countries, we can cut off aid to them until they mend their ways.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
If it's something barbaric, and the country depends on handouts from other countries, we can cut off aid to them until they mend their ways.
Oh right, that's a great idea! Cut them off, let them hurt, while they resent us for leaving them without aid. FORCE them to believe as we do at all costs!!!

Better to maintain the aid, while promoting educational efforts and improvement of basic infrastructure (like clean water projects and health projects) within the assisted country.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
If the world could find solace in reason and logic, or at least in experimental truth, it would be a better place.

Many in humanity believe in stupid crap, even if shown for themselves the truth. Self delusion and hypocrisy rear their heads everywhere. The nice thing is that people who believe in superstitious crap and scoff at proven methods tend to select themselves out of the gene pool when they go too far.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
There is absolutely no scientific evidence of an afterlife, or that the creator of the universe has a personal relationship with you, or that burying children during an eclipse will heal them. If you believe any of those things, you are all in exactly the same gullibility class.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:18 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,526 times
Quote:
My question isn't about abortion nor is it about figs.

When someone in a developing nation takes a disabled child out of their home, buries them up to their necks in sand during an eclipse in the hope of curing them of their disability, am I as a citizen of the western world supposed to, nod my head and smile and "respect" their cultural beliefs, or look a them like ignorant savages who bay at the moon? Because I find it extremely difficult to respect a culture of people who do this to disabled children.
Yeah and in Muslim countries they think its ok to stone a woman to death because she got raped. In South Africa they think if they have sex with babies it will cure them of AIDS.

But I was told in other threads by people who seemed to know what they were talking about that we should not impose our standards of what is considered 'developed' onto these people. They say these folks are doing just fine without interference from western cultures. They say these people are as developed and happy as anyone else in their own way.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
I'm disabled and if this practice really endangered those kids lives I think it's bad. I don't think we have to respect it.

Although I think being a caretaker of a child with disabilities is harder in the Third World. This might make them a bit more irrational and weird than we'd, normally, behave about it. (Although I know of Americans who told my Mom my congenital condition was a punishment from God) If the burial in sand was harmless, and something the kids agreed to, than I'd have less problems with it.

Even if this turned out be benign in the larger sense, even though I value many cultures, I don't think every cultural tradition has to be respected. The British ended widow-burning in India. This was an act of cultural imperialism on their part, but in that case it was a just one.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-02-2010 at 05:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates