Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:03 AM

814 posts, read 2,307,067 times

Advertisements

I'm sure everyone is sober enough to realize that all cultures were backward at one time and still have some backward elements either old or relatively new.

for instance, mcdonalds is pretty backward for a civilized and intelligent society in my book but it's pretty popular. that was kind of a joke but it's partly true.

slavery, witchburnings, discrimination against women and children etc is fairly recent in even american history. even today you have those who believe in superstition, let their children die due to some religious belief rather than seek medical treatment, think homosexuals will go to hell etc.

it's important to realize that those people in current third world countries are not inherently more backward as much as a lot of what they do has to do with ignorance. they just don't know any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 03:24 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
When backward beliefs persist in the world, how can mankind make progress in the developing world? What should be done?

Nothing... Who are we, or anyone else to say what is right or wrong? Hell, we use to call Native American's savages because of the way they lived, they were part of the enviroment, where as us more civilized people change the enviroment to suit our needs...and are screwing up the planet in the process.
There are cultures that would call us weak minded for believing in a supreme being, when science has proven otherwise.....We should just mind or own businees, We have enough problems without worring about the 3rd world...

Old 08-01-2009, 09:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Some would also say that our culture is going backwards again.But hwen it comes to bascially human rights we have as much say as anyone ever has had whyen it gets to genocide no matter how selfish our people become.Cetainly minding our own business does not apply when people like hitler comne along because it efects us.Its liike sayihng mind your own business when your neighb or is being raped;its the cowards way of being a sheep.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Some would also say that our culture is going backwards again.But hwen it comes to bascially human rights we have as much say as anyone ever has had whyen it gets to genocide no matter how selfish our people become.Cetainly minding our own business does not apply when people like hitler comne along because it efects us.Its liike sayihng mind your own business when your neighb or is being raped;its the cowards way of being a sheep.
What do you call what Americans did to the Vietnamese. and then to the Iraqis?

Old 08-02-2009, 04:18 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Of course you are correct. Some things can be dismissed as just another people's culture that are not hurting anyone else. Other things do hurt other people and are violations of human rights. People should stand up and do something about those issues.

What Hitler was doing is a good example. Also, something should be done about what the Muslims are doing to the black people in Sudan.

- Reel

Old 08-02-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
People should stand up and do something about those issues.

What Hitler was doing is a good example. Also, something should be done about what the Muslims are doing to the black people in Sudan.

- Reel

Do you wish there had been some powerful country somewhere in the world to come in here and kill Americans until we learned to stop massacring Indians and lynching blacks? This is a serious question. Please answer it. Do you wish that there had been some superpowerful country then to "stand up and do something about it"?

Here's another one. Do you think American military might ought to be used to destroy the entire culture of 20-some countries, killing millions, because you read in some blog about school girls dying in a fire on account of some local fanatic's interpretation of the law?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-02-2010 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:14 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you wish there had been some powerful country somewhere in the world to come in here and kill Americans until we learned to stop massacring Indians and lynching blacks? This is a serious question. Please answer it. Do you wish that there had been some superpowerful country then to "stand up and do something about it"?

Here's another one. Do you think American military might ought to be used to destroy the entire culture of 20-some countries, killing millions, because you read in some blog about school girls dying in a fire on account of some local fanatic's interpretation of the law?
What you do is make an assumption which is usually false. Then you proceed with your argument based on that false assumption.

You seem to assume that I advocate violence as a way to address violations of human rights including the inhumane way that many Muslims men treat women. I do not advocate violence so the rest of your argument is irrelavent.

Yes there were people who did something about the mistreatment of blacks in this country. Most of what was done did not involve violence and yes I think it was the right thing for them to do.

Destroy and entire culture? This follows your false assumption that I would advocate violence and is a ridiculous statement.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-02-2010 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:

You seem to assume that I advocate violence as a way to address violations of human rights including the inhumane way that many Muslims men treat women. I do not advocate violence so the rest of your argument is irrelavent.l
I guess I missed your point.

But your public remarks on forums such as this encourage others to assume your own position that "humanity" is defined as the American way of life, and "inhumanity" as all others. The people you are encouraging are in possession of a very itchi trigger finger, and besides yourself, are supported by another army of war profiteers, who will jump at every self-enriching opportunity to launch another shock-and-awe spring break over the most trivial of pretexts.

Quote:
Other things do hurt other people and are violations of human rights. People should stand up and do something about those issues. . . . .
Also, something should be done about what the Muslims are doing to the black people in Sudan.l
What, exactly, do you have in mind, that should be done? Nonviolent, of course.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-02-2010 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 10-20-2009, 06:17 PM

515 posts, read 778,272 times
Why do we feel the need as a nation to educate the world and purge them of their ignorance when we have so much of it right here at home? Let's start here and when we become the perfect nation, my guess is others will want to follow our example.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:05 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I read an article today which is only one example of cultural beliefs which are counter productive to human progress.

When access to education is not equitably distributed among all people ideas such as this persist:

India: Claims disabled kids buried during eclipse - CNN.com

Do you believe that ignorance should persist in the world in the face of what science knows about disabilities.

This is only one example and many many more exist.

I read reports like this from time to time, and I'm told I need to be culturally sensitive, and I should accept how other people live and worship. But it is difficult for me to see this as simply a cultural difference, it seems like ignorance to me.
That's a difficult situation for me.
I think all should be given free access to education and opportunity with the only limiting factor being personal effort.

But even if that is so, is it fair for me to force that idea on others who may not agree?
Even if it might actually be of more practical benefit to them in a possible factual sense?

Would we want certain lifestyles forced on us because some people think the american lifestyle is too luxurious and too easy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates