Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 09:28 AM

353 posts, read 1,020,639 times

Advertisements

It basically goes back to making yourself BETTER by having someone "Under" you on the ladder who is not as good... Not correct, but that is basically it.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:54 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Note to black people: Black people, clean up your own back yard and then maybe we can have a dialog? Until then excuse me as I avoid black people and black neighborhoods.
Have you been to the Appalachian mountains to spread your Gospel?
It would be more convincing coming from their "Own Kind" perhaps that is your back yard to clean, Or perhaps you would be just as afraid of them as you would be in Urban America?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:30 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Let me take another stab at why people are racist.

I see communities that are nice, well maintained, have great schools, and low crime. For one reason or another a large number of blacks and Hispanics start to come into the community. People start to notice that schools are going down hill, the homes are not being maintained, crime is going up, etc. People think what has changed in my community, and after some thought they determine it is the changing demographics. They start to link the worsing conditions in their community to the ever increasing number of blacks and hispanics. They get nervous when they see blacks and hispanics looking at the homes for sale on their street because they now link the changing demographics of the community to the worsing conditions. Understand racism now?
Woring about your own neighborhood is Racism? Everyone should be concered about there neighborhood. I know I am, and for the reasons you mentioned.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:31 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,724 times
Some parts of Appalachia rock, two of my favorite towns are in Appalachia, other parts yea I see what you're saying, not very welcoming to any one deemed 'an outsider,' regardless of race. It's interesting that there is so much racisism now in parts of Appalachia concidering there didn't use to be, where did it come from? Somebody suggested after the war people came up here to isolate themselves and that's how it emerged, then I guess it was handed down.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:48 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Have you been to the Appalachian mountains to spread your Gospel?
It would be more convincing coming from their "Own Kind" perhaps that is your back yard to clean, Or perhaps you would be just as afraid of them as you would be in Urban America?
Yeah, been to West Virginia a number of times and the trash in some of the yards is pretty awful but that wasn't the trash I was talking about.

I was talking about the trash of violence and crime but I can see metaphors go right over your head.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:06 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Let me take another stab at why people are racist.

I see communities that are nice, well maintained, have great schools, and low crime. For one reason or another a large number of blacks and Hispanics start to come into the community. People start to notice that schools are going down hill, the homes are not being maintained, crime is going up, etc. People think what has changed in my community, and after some thought they determine it is the changing demographics. They start to link the worsing conditions in their community to the ever increasing number of blacks and hispanics. They get nervous when they see blacks and hispanics looking at the homes for sale on their street because they now link the changing demographics of the community to the worsing conditions. Understand racism now?
--------------

There are other areas were just the reverse happens.
Take Anglophones in South Florida, Dade County, they represent 40 percent of the population and they commit more than 85 percent of all crimes.
Local Authorities want to relocate them in other counties, such as Broward and WPB, but they are hard to move.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
Some parts of Appalachia rock, two of my favorite towns are in Appalachia, other parts yea I see what you're saying, not very welcoming to any one deemed 'an outsider,' regardless of race. It's interesting that there is so much racisism now in parts of Appalachia concidering there didn't use to be, where did it come from? Somebody suggested after the war people came up here to isolate themselves and that's how it emerged, then I guess it was handed down.
I think the Loss of income from Mining , Tobacco crops and poor education. Make no mistake about it there are Black Appalachians who have been there maybe since before slavery ended like the Whites.

Peoples over use of the examples of urban America for crime keep the real problems in the shadows and that is Poverty, unemployment, and lack of education. People who for generations were expected to work jobs that required no education are $h!+ out of luck when those jobs dry up. Its the same whether its in the coal mines, tobacco fields, or auto plants.
Crime, drugs and corruption are essential "place holders" , if you will, not last resorts. Racism is how we console our moral and ethic sensibilities and absolve American culture for the problems assoociated with being a minority in America.
For the historic Irish gangs and Italian organized crime, to Black, Latino, and Asian gangs today, The "place Holders " will always be more convenient economic supports until there is Guarantee of opportunity for Minorities in America .

Old 07-26-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yeah, been to West Virginia a number of times and the trash in some of the yards is pretty awful but that wasn't the trash I was talking about.

I was talking about the trash of violence and crime but I can see metaphors go right over your head.
I think the social problems in Appalachia went right over your head, There are places when you ask a child what they want to be when they grow up, they look at you like you are nuts , because every one knows what they are going to be, "On the County " (if that one is over your head it means welfare)

Old 07-26-2009, 12:48 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMensch View Post
It basically goes back to making yourself BETTER by having someone "Under" you on the ladder who is not as good... Not correct, but that is basically it.

No it's not that . It has been proven throughout history that multi-cultures do not mix . You can like it or not ut thats the facts .

Most like famialarity .And that never works when evereyone wants their way in a salad bowl of citizens .

Old 07-26-2009, 12:55 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
--------------

There are other areas were just the reverse happens.
Take Anglophones in South Florida, Dade County, they represent 40 percent of the population and they commit more than 85 percent of all crimes.
Local Authorities want to relocate them in other counties, such as Broward and WPB, but they are hard to move.

You better tell this lie to those who are young enough to not have known S.Florida when it was mostly anglos .

The only anglos who stayed after the invasion were the poor and ignorant .

S.Florida was once a paradise where many rich anglos lived and brought proparity to it . it was a beautiful place .

Then the third world was allowed to move in and take over . It has been a dangerous hellhole every since . We stopped going years ao after being hit by non english speaking unlicensed , un-insured and drunk foreigners .

Miami was beautiful downtown and now it looks like Somalia in places .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates