U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2009, 04:38 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,113,348 times

Advertisements

Papito, no digas boberķas.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:14 PM

812 posts, read 1,626,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I explained earlier that "race" and "Subspecies" are inerchangeable terms for the same concept (the taxonomic level below species), and that scientists use the word "subspecies" because they are sick and tired of getting death threats from nazi wannabes who have a pathological phobia for the word "race". If there is such a thing as subspecies, there is such a thing as race, and vice versa.

You are apparently in the death-threat group, because you do not know that the two words mean the same thing, and you think they are talking about something else., so they don't hurt your tender feelings.

If there is a scientist who has written the same article, but used the word race instead of subspecies, you people have already assassinated his character and hounded him out of the faculty.

I have made my position abundantly clear.
1. Scientists generally acknowledge the validity of 'subspecies'
2. The word means the same as 'race'
3. Humans are biological entities and the rules of taxonomy apply equally across that spectrum.

I have implied nothing else. Unless you are prepared to show that one of those statements is irrefutably false, you will do well to stop mortifying yourself. Other readers are beginning to feel embarrassed for you and switching off.
what subspecies is white/black or white/asian or white/spanish/ or nordic/greek/italian/black/native-american/mexican/northeast asian?? lol

as long as you are aware that categories are generalities and those categories by definition can change because nature is in flux.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:48 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,152,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
what subspecies is white/black or white/asian or white/spanish/ or nordic/greek/italian/black/native-american/mexican/northeast asian?? lol

I have no idea. Not my field. I can tell you about subspecies of birds (including hybrids, which are not even a discrete species) , but not mammals. I imagine that if species can hybridize, so can subspecies, and I would predict that the mix would have some characteristics of each parent, or an intergrade form.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:59 PM

12,119 posts, read 12,613,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
This thread just make me sad...really to the point that I want to cry because now I know that no matter what i do, or my brother will do people will still view us a hoodlum murderers. This is why racism persists.

Is anyone here on this forum willing to stop debating long enough to see the negative affect racism is having on this and many other young people.

READ it, UNDERSTAND it, THINK about how every one of you has just made your contribution to racism.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:43 PM
miu

13,033 posts, read 22,430,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Is anyone here on this forum willing to stop debating long enough to see the negative affect racism is having on this and many other young people.

READ it, UNDERSTAND it, THINK about how every one of you has just made your contribution to racism.
How about the black community taking some of the responsibility for its young people's low self esteem? Why don't you come down on all those gangsta rap musicians with their angry negative messages, stupid ghetto speak, and setting those awful style trends? If more young blacks could be encouraged to emulate adult blacks like Bill Cosby, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Colin Powell, Sidney Poitier, Wynton and Branford Marsalis, Herbie Hancock, and now Obama... instead of trying to succeed by being a rap musician or professional athlete (both very long shot professions that require little to no academic prowess), blacks might be further ahead in this country.

And on one hand, many blacks insist that there is no such thing as different races and it's just a skin colour, yet you insist that your youths need strong black role models, as if successful productive adults with non-black skin tones can't be a role model for your black youth... well I find that strange double standard proof that blacks perpetuate racism just as much if not moreso that non-blacks... that plus within the black community, there is a prejudice against darkskin blacks by blacks of lighter skin tones.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:

You mean by attempting to understand what it is and why it happens?

Old 07-27-2009, 11:03 PM

8,293 posts, read 14,474,232 times
Quote:

Not one iota of sympathy going from me to her. Read all her posts. If she wants to come in here shooting off her big mouth, lying and accusing people of racism - just because she doesn't like something she read - she can take her lumps. It's part of the learning process.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:46 AM

31,385 posts, read 18,539,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
How about the black community taking some of the responsibility for its young people's low self esteem?
Frankly, we don't need advise from ignorant white folks like yourself, who have absolutely no clue as to what black folks tell their kids or what they do within the community to resolve those issues affecting them.

PS - Please tell me that you honestly aren't so stupid as to argue that the pathway to becoming a major motion picture star or jazz musician is easier than becoming a rap musician or a professional ball player as your post suggests?

Old 07-28-2009, 01:48 AM

31,385 posts, read 18,539,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post

as long as you are aware that categories are generalities and those categories by definition can change because nature is in flux.

We've been informed that there are tons of research confirming the existence of taxonomic subspecies. i.e., racial classifications which will demonstrate what you ask, of course after several subsequent request they haven't posted any such research, but hey...

Old 07-28-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Frankly, we don't need advise from ignorant white folks like yourself,?

Ovcatto, you yourself have proven yourself to be one of the most ignorant people to ever clutter this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates