U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:31 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,461,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
White slave owners created racism. They needed the world to look at blacks as less then human, otherwise they would not have tolerated slavery. And then the slave owners would lose money, and they couldn't allow that. Now, black people keep in the back of their mind what happended to their ancestors, and they react with racism. They feel safer within their own race and keeping their distance from white people.
So what you're saying is that slavery and/or racism is a uniquely white American phenomenon?

Old 07-24-2009, 10:03 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,240,819 times
Race-based slavery is more English and Dutch created, not American. It occurred in Caribbean colonies of England and the Dutch Caribbean too. As well as in South Africa.

Granted it kind-of existed in Latin America too, but the child of a slave could be raised by the master-father. So the whole race thing is more complicated. The clear Black/White race-based slavery is more English and Dutch.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Race-based slavery is more English and Dutch created, not American. It occurred in Caribbean colonies of England and the Dutch Caribbean too. As well as in South Africa.

Granted it kind-of existed in Latin America too, but the child of a slave could be raised by the master-father. So the whole race thing is more complicated. The clear Black/White race-based slavery is more English and Dutch.
...and that is only ONE of the MANY forms of slavery that have existed throughout history. Unfortunately, too many people today are so uneducated that they think it was the ONLY form of slavery that has ever existed.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:23 PM

943 posts, read 2,707,182 times
Racism is based on a large percentage of a ethnic group having negative traits that people of other races feel are negative. For example, I am racist against black people because I see that out of a hundred blacks picked at random a much higher number of them have behaviors that I find offensive. Does this mean that I am not going to hire a black man or befriend one? No necessarily, but I will have the fact that I had such a negative perception of so many people who share their culture and skin color, in the back of my mind.

I look at statistics and come up with general conclusions. If I see a black man who appears to come from a disadvantaged back ground and looks like a gangster I will assume (maybe incorrectly) that he is not a good person.

So my racism is based on what I have experienced with other people who look and act alike.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:26 PM

244 posts, read 245,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I just would like some input as to why is there racism?
Racism is a form of fear, and fear is what happens when people do not understand something. Everything else that results from racism is an extension of the basic fear one has for not understanding another culture. The same thing occurs within cultures to anyone who is physically different. Perhaps if there were no mirrors in the world there would be less racism.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:24 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,026,258 times
Racism is a human characterisc. All humans are racists.
When humans live in a racially homogeneous society, they hate other humans because of social status, regional origin, language, religion, dietary habits...

Old 07-24-2009, 04:06 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,311,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I think that your statement is convenient fallacy because the concept of race is a rather modern one. Most students of ancient history cannot find any indication that Greek or Roman society held views that would indicate a sense of racial superiority or inferiority based upon physiognomic reasons. According to Prof. Michael Babaoukas, of the Univeristy of Piraeus;

"...ancient Greek antiquity, bondage, racial discrimination and racial
prejudice had nothing to do with physiognomy or skin color. It is true that various Greek writers insisted that slavery should be reserved for ‘barbarians’, but they considered Ethiopians no more barbarous than the fair Scythians of the north. Skin color and other somatic traits they attributed to the effects of climate and environmnent. The ancients put no premium on racial purity and were unconcerned with degrees of racial mixture. It is important to emphasize that the overall Greco-Roman view of blacks was highy positive. Initial, favorable impressions were not altered, in spite of later accounts of wild tribes in the far south and even after encounters with blacks had become more frequent. There was clear-cut respect
among Mediterranean peoples for Ethiopians and their way of life. And, above all, the ancients did not stereotype all blackcs as primitives defective in religion and culture”

We don't begin to see ideas of racial hierarchies until shortly after the exploitation of Africans as a source of New World labor. In short, modern racism as we know it is the rationalization for the exploitation of one race by another using the justification of inherent superiority.

Racism: a short history - Google Books
I don't think all racism is because of skin color. Jews are mostly as white as you and me, however, they have one of the longest cases of racial stereotyping and hatred over any racial group in history. The Romans tolerated them, but they looked down on them.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:31 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
...and that is only ONE of the MANY forms of slavery that have existed throughout history. Unfortunately, too many people today are so uneducated that they think it was the ONLY form of slavery that has ever existed.
Oh, I don't think that is true. However the European variation was the first to be rationalized by developing a concept of racial classification and hierarchy. According to George M. Fredrickson, "The Historical Origins and Development of Racism";

"No clear and unequivocal evidence of racism has been found in other cultures or in Europe before the Middle Ages. The identification of the Jews with the devil and witchcraft in the popular mind of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries was perhaps the first sign of a racist view of the world. Official sanction for such attitudes came in sixteenth century Spain when Jews who had converted to Christianity and their descendents became the victims of a pattern of discrimination and exclusion."

...During the Enlightenment, a secular or scientific theory of race moved the subject away from the Bible, with its insistence on the essential unity of the human race. Eighteenth century ethnologists began to think of human beings as part of the natural world and subdivided them into three to five races, usually considered as varieties of a single human species. In the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, however, an increasing number of writers, especially those committed to the defense of slavery, maintained that the races constituted separate species.

The climax of Western imperialism in the late nineteenth century "scramble for Africa" and parts of Asia and the Pacific represented an assertion of the competitive ethnic nationalism that existed among European nations (and which, as a result of the Spanish-American War came to include the United States). It also constituted a claim, allegedly based on science, that Europeans had the right to rule over Africans and Asians."

http://www.pbs.org/race/000_About/00...ound-02-01.htm

Last edited by ovcatto; 07-24-2009 at 04:42 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 04:47 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I don't think all racism is because of skin color. Jews are mostly as white as you and me, however, they have one of the longest cases of racial stereotyping and hatred over any racial group in history. The Romans tolerated them, but they looked down on them.
I neglected to point out the role of anti-semitism and the development of racism to avoid side tracking the discussion, but you are essentially correct. Many of the scholars and writers on he origins of racism point to anti-Semitism as an important turning point in the development of racism and the role of Christianity in the promotion of the concept of a the curse of birth. But we have developed the terms racism and anti-semitism to sharpen the definitional parameters of the conversation so that when we speak of racism we center the conversation on how it developed on a "racial" not an ethno-religious basis.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, I don't think that is true. However the European variation was the first to be rationalized by developing a concept of racial classification and hierarchy. According to George M. Fredrickson, "The Historical Origins and Development of Racism";

"No clear and unequivocal evidence of racism has been found in other cultures or in Europe before the Middle Ages. The identification of the Jews with the devil and witchcraft in the popular mind of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries was perhaps the first sign of a racist view of the world. Official sanction for such attitudes came in sixteenth century Spain when Jews who had converted to Christianity and their descendents became the victims of a pattern of discrimination and exclusion."

...During the Enlightenment, a secular or scientific theory of race moved the subject away from the Bible, with its insistence on the essential unity of the human race. Eighteenth century ethnologists began to think of human beings as part of the natural world and subdivided them into three to five races, usually considered as varieties of a single human species. In the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, however, an increasing number of writers, especially those committed to the defense of slavery, maintained that the races constituted separate species.

The climax of Western imperialism in the late nineteenth century "scramble for Africa" and parts of Asia and the Pacific represented an assertion of the competitive ethnic nationalism that existed among European nations (and which, as a result of the Spanish-American War came to include the United States). It also constituted a claim, allegedly based on science, that Europeans had the right to rule over Africans and Asians."

RACE - The Power of an Illusion . Background Readings | PBS
I guess that all depends on how you define racism.

It's a pick-and-choose thing here. To say that racism didn't exist before the Middle Ages is ludicrous. The word might not have appeared, but evidence is there. They just called it something else.

There are many sources to choose from, but the Bible is one that's easily available. And while I'm not going to argue it's historicity at all, it goes without saying that some of the people/races/cultures mentioned in the Bible did exist. And since Fredrichson mentioned the Bible, here are a couple examples of racism from the Bible.

- The Jewish people, circa the time of Jesus, were racists against the Samaritans. They were hated as half-breeds. That is racism.
- There is evidence from the Old Testament that the Egyptians were highly anti-Semitic. In fact, they regularly bought and sold slaves from other countries.

They may have perfected racism during the Middle Ages, but they certainly didn't invent it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates