U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-21-2010, 03:25 AM

27,135 posts, read 22,564,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
Your statement displays an incredible level of naivete...or disingenuousness. The individuals you cite here are easily recognized the world over, and certainly within these United States. Considering their level of public recognition, it's no wonder that no one would mistake them for being hoodlums.

But what is your explanation for the treatment of thousands of Black men who are harrassed, detained, beaten, arrested, "mistakenly" identified as perpetrators of crimes who do not act and dress like hoodlums, yet are treated as such? This treatment not only comes from law enforcement, but very regularly from white society in general, both on the individual and the institutional level.

This even happens in the corporate workplace. I have over 20 years experience in my field, am a Vice President within my company, and have been promoted based on accomplishment (not politics or Affirmative Action); yet, there are those within my organization who continue take the next elevator rather than ride with me. There are those who clutch their purses tighter when they see me approach. It would be humorous if it weren't so pathetic.

Getting back on point, perhaps it was my Tuxedo and the late model luxury car I was driving that led to L.A. County Sheriff to follow me off of the Santa Monica Freeway, into Beverly Hills and Century City, and finally pull me over on Wilshire Blvd. and question me like a violent crime suspect for 20 minutes. Guess I better stop buying those Hoodlum Tuxedos and Hoodlum Mercedes Benz automobiles.

Not to worry. If it happens again I'll just tell them that you said that if I don't dress or act like a hoodlum, it's alright to let me go and they can't treat me like one. Then I'll whip out my photos taken with Sydney Poitier, Denzel Washington, President Obama and Bill Cosby, and all will be well.
This sounds alot like an experience my father had. A police officer followed my father one morning. My father was driving a new car, and he was wearing a suit, not to mention he had two of his three children in the car(I was probably at my dorm when this happened). Where was he going? To church. A cop trying to harass him on Sunday morning as he is trying to get to church. When he got into the church parking lot, the cop saw another cop who went to that church and went away. My father didn't have to dress like a hoodlum. He didn't have to drive a "burned out car". It didn't matter to the cop that there were two children in the car and that my father is married. It goes to show that you don't have to dress like a "hood rat" to get treated like one.
As a side note, I think the reason no one would treat Sidney Poitier or Denzel Washington like "hood rats" is because all of those men have enough money to sue someone and just the fact that they are famous is enough.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:29 AM

257 posts, read 121,797 times
The races are different genetically. It should be acknowledged and repected, not pretend like it doesn't exist.

Another view is, God created creatures after their kind.

Like it or not, kind attracts kind. What you are calling racism is a normal thing.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:05 AM

4,186 posts, read 4,436,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I just would like some input as to why is there racism? We should be nice to others because we all are human beings... Any inputs?
Because people are competitive and always need to find a way to feel superior to other people. If it weren't based on race, it would be something else.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:07 AM

4,186 posts, read 4,436,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
This even happens in the corporate workplace. I have over 20 years experience in my field, am a Vice President within my company, and have been promoted based on accomplishment (not politics or Affirmative Action); yet, there are those within my organization who continue take the next elevator rather than ride with me. There are those who clutch their purses tighter when they see me approach. It would be humorous if it weren't so pathetic.
That truly is pathetic. I don't get surprised that easily, but it surprises me that it's that bad.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:34 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,098,399 times
I think it's largley ignorance and a manifestation of our base emotions. I work customer service at a nationwide phone center, and quite frankly the lack of even basic education or common sense so many people from all walks of life display is shocking. This is exasperated by a national culture which demeans even regular education as "Elitiest" and "Evil" and you have a recipe for widespread ignorance.

Another factor is as humans we gain a sense of security in our beliefs and views. Some people simply cannot process the complexites of individuals and experiences and instead use broad based "Labels" in order to gain a sense of understanding about the world. The post about the cop above is an example of that. The white cop simply cannot mentally fathom a successful black man. It wrecks havoc with how he's come to see the world and therefore is "threatening". The human mind is fragile, and using labels and stereotypes to judge individuals is key for some to be able to process their enviorment.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:02 PM

946 posts, read 1,403,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Alot of White people have feared and hated Blacks since the old days of slavery. To me, it's nothing new, just morphed into something different. I seriously doubt statistics are the reasons for this. I think alot of it has to do with hearing the news on TV, I doubt alot of people will actually go and look up the statistics. There was a time when White on Black crime was much higher than the reverse and the fear of Blacks could still be facilitated.
So true because white men here in America were known to rape, lynch, and cut out infants from the black woman's womb -so on that note I am more scared of white men than I am black. That spirit did not disappear when slavery was abolished. Yes-there is plenty of black on black male crime in the United States, but I have not yet heard of a black man lynching a woman or cutting a baby out of a woman's womb.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:14 PM

3,183 posts, read 2,289,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I just would like some input as to why is there racism? We should be nice to others because we all are human beings... Any inputs?
The root problem is that people tend to be biased toward others that in some form are different and they percieve that difference as a threat of some form.

That difference can be because of race, ethnic background, religion, beauty, economic status, philsophical views, gender, etc.

There are cultures that have not problem with race. There are societies that had not problem with race differences but someone used it to turn the masses against a group for political purposes, for religious purposes, for economic purposes, etc.

The human tendency to have power and/or status is another problem. When that power or status is threatened in some form it may be necessary to blame another group.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 02-21-2010, 02:16 PM

3,183 posts, read 2,289,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
So true because white men here in America were known to rape, lynch, and cut out infants from the black woman's womb -so on that note I am more scared of white men than I am black. That spirit did not disappear when slavery was abolished. Yes-there is plenty of black on black male crime in the United States, but I have not yet heard of a black man lynching a woman or cutting a baby out of a woman's womb.
You may need to WORLD history and see the atrocities black people have done in history and other countries.

All races do have their share of atrocities and injustice in history.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 02-21-2010, 02:38 PM

946 posts, read 1,403,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
You may need to WORLD history and see the atrocities black people have done in history and other countries.

All races do have their share of atrocities and injustice in history.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

I am only referring to ways in which men have killed others here in the United States. Why are there not any black men that have hung women up on a tree and cut out the baby from a woman's womb? Something to think about along with many other ways in which men kill here in the United States.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:01 PM

133 posts, read 163,294 times
Default Wish

I wish i had the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates