Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 PM

774 posts, read 1,161,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
it all started with the "social experiment" known as forced integration.
It all started with that un-Constitutional practice known as "Separate but equal".

Old 12-27-2010, 03:47 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,059,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My opinion is that in order to feel good about oneself, people need to look down on someone. Some people choose racism. Some people choose ethnicity. Some people choose education. Some people choose income level. Etc. I think the poison choice is based on how many people you know that agree with you. It reinforces the "I'm better than them" mentality.
Seriously? Just because I enjoy the company of other educated people who share my same life goals and moral codes, doesn't mean that I look down on those people who are different from me in behaviour and beliefs. Everyone has different preferences for what they want to do for work and for fun. And being in the company of those with similar thought patterns makes for less friction, frustration and disappointments in the long run.

When my boyfriend and I evaluate all the different kinds of friends and acquaintances we have, some of them we never spend much time with because their idea of fun is going out to a noisy bar or club and getting drunk. But our more educated friends prefer spending time working on interesting projects or cooking a nice meal and having intellectual conversations. Well educated people tend to talk more about how to make the world a better place to live. Whereas our less educated friends tend to only care about their sex lives and they lead drama filled lives. The less educated women friends are more concerned about dressing up and going out on dates, and not about enriching their lives with more education and a better job. But I don't look down on them, I just don't want to be a part of their messy lives, I don't want to live like they do.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:09 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,025,653 times
Humans are flawed beings. Many people can concoct pointless, soul-consuming negative feelings. Some demographics are historically targeted for prejudice by these people. No racial group is safe from bigotry. Globally, no religious belief is safe from persecution. When it comes to planet earth, not everything is pretty.

The good news is that there are people who are free from all of these particular defects. I'm not saying these people are perfect. Some talk with a lisp. Some are chronically late. Some of them are bad drivers. But they do not feel baseless bigotry and hatred. If you ask me, I think the idea is to try to be one of these people.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:58 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,857,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Humans are flawed beings. Many people can concoct pointless, soul-consuming negative feelings. Some demographics are historically targeted for prejudice by these people. No racial group is safe from bigotry. Globally, no religious belief is safe from persecution. When it comes to planet earth, not everything is pretty.

The good news is that there are people who are free from all of these particular defects. I'm not saying these people are perfect. Some talk with a lisp. Some are chronically late. Some of them are bad drivers. But they do not feel baseless bigotry and hatred. If you ask me, I think the idea is to try to be one of these people.
I think the key to being one of these people is twofold: first to educate yourself about different people, try to understand them in an inclusive, objective way, and second to sympathise and relate with their struggles and experiences as fellow human beings.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,981,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It isn't learned from Christian religions. In fact, any form of hatred is against the Christian faith. Those person who are hateful and racist are wrong for that, and are not doing as Jesus would do.
I'm certain that Christianity has perpetuated racism in certain situations during the past and in the present.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
I'm certain that Christianity has perpetuated racism in certain situations during the past and in the present.
They used Christianity to justify it, but Christianity itself does not justify it.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
They used Christianity to justify it, but Christianity itself does not justify it.
I disagree. Some of the teachings do justify it.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 AM

72,841 posts, read 62,239,946 times
Quote:
Jesus taught people to love one another. He says the commandments are to love God and love thy neighbor. Being a racist isn't loving thy neighbor. Being a racist isn't what Jesus preached. The way I see it, people have taken the Bible and used it to justify their own sinful ways, ways, I may add, Jesus would not teach. The problem isn't the faith. The problem is the persons who have done stupid and evil things and then claimed it was in the Bible.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
For instance?

The teachings used to justify it were probably taken from the OT and re-interpreted.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Jesus taught people to love one another. He says the commandments are to love God and love thy neighbor. Being a racist isn't loving thy neighbor. Being a racist isn't what Jesus preached. The way I see it, people have taken the Bible and used it to justify their own sinful ways, ways, I may add, Jesus would not teach. The problem isn't the faith. The problem is the persons who have done stupid and evil things and then claimed it was in the Bible.
So, you are telling me that none of these acts are sometimes justified by the Bible?

Lol, the reason this people claim it was the Bible is because some of the teachings do somewhat justify their actions.

I'm aware the Christianity is also responsible for a lot of good in this world, but it does have its dark moments.

Btw, How many Christians truely "Love thy Neighbor as thyself?", or maybe I didn't intepret that part correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates