Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 02:21 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I have stats in post #392 to confirm what you are saying.
I didn't see where your links backed him up...Please show me where they do....

Old 01-15-2011, 07:52 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I didn't see where your links backed him up...Please show me where they do....
Victims - Hate Crime Statistics, 2009
71.5 percent were victims because of an offender’s anti-black bias.

Offenders - Hate Crime Statistics, 2009
62.4 percent were white.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flordelis View Post
First of all, I would say that very little of racism has anything to do with skin color. That is merely a deflection.

Overwhelmingly, IMHO, aminus against other races is a reaction to behaviours exhibited by members of those races.

I grew up in a pretty protected environment. Living in England and U.S. Air Bases, there were almost no blacks in my housing areas (officer). The few blacks we came in contact with were well-groomed, mannered and conducted themselves in such a way as to provide positive reinforcements.

As a result, I had no animus against blacks, In fact, my nanny was black, and we all loved her dearly. She was a dear and sweet lady.

That all changed when I stopped going to Catholic School and started attending public school in town (not on-base). I was shocked and stunned at what I saw as "normal" conduct of these people. A few years later, my sister underwent that same "introduction". They were disgusting in their mannerisms and speech. From that day forward, my attitudes have been changed from what I had at first.

Occasionally, I come in contact with blacks from Africa who have migrated to the U.S. and they seem to be so different, so normal. No attitude, not backwards hats, not pants below the azz.

Having said all this, I can only assert that if blacks want to be treated differently, they need to act differently, but I see no evidence that this will ever happen.

Even MLK couldn't seem to conduct himself like a gentleman with so many affairs.
Ok, I don't care to debate with you because you're strongly committed to subscribing to complete humbuggery. But I have to point out one thing that made me laugh.

Quote:
First of all, I would say that very little of racism has anything to do with skin color. That is merely a deflection.
Sure sir. Because we all know the stereotypes you hold onto would still be possible to come up with if you didn't have a skin color to assign them to.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:09 PM

352 posts, read 187,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is racism for the same reason there is Species-ism. Why do humans believe they are superior to other species?
I agree, the posts placed here by squirrels and rabbits make just about as much sense as the above drivel.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. If you read posts like flordelis', clearly racism is not only about ignorance. A lot of negative attitudes towards a difference race and culture is from having unpleasant and negative experiences with that particular group of people.

And someone's generalized opinions (stereotypes) are the result of repeated negative personal experiences and observations with a particular group of people that greatly outweigh any pleasant ones.
Presactly. IF black want racism to end, they have to modify, as a group, their behaviour, as a group.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Ok, I don't care to debate with you because you're strongly committed to subscribing to complete humbuggery. But I have to point out one thing that made me laugh.

Sure sir. Because we all know the stereotypes you hold onto would still be possible to come up with if you didn't have a skin color to assign them to.
If everyone was tatood at birth a nice uniform dark green, or perhaps Royal Blue, you could still pick out the blacks, in general, by their conduct. Skin color is just a convenient "flag". If you really think people are so shallow to dislike a particular group of people merely and soley for their skin color, per se, then, will I have another bridge for sale, and I'll sell it to you cheap!!!!

Old 01-18-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Presactly. IF black want racism to end, they have to modify, as a group, their behaviour, as a group.
So, in order for African-Americans to be perceived better, being good persons as individuals isn't enough?

Old 01-18-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
If everyone was tatood at birth a nice uniform dark green, or perhaps Royal Blue, you could still pick out the blacks, in general, by their conduct. Skin color is just a convenient "flag". If you really think people are so shallow to dislike a particular group of people merely and soley for their skin color, per se, then, will I have another bridge for sale, and I'll sell it to you cheap!!!!
Not necessarily. People can still be very shallow and judge people by their skin color. It still happens. It's just under the surface.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily. People can still be very shallow and judge people by their skin color. It still happens. It's just under the surface.
One more time, let's assume that all blacks suddenly had skin color like whites. Do you really think attutudes would change in any real substantive way (other then having to come up with a new name to call them besides "black"? You can use, or hide behind, melanin, but unless and until behavioral issues are addressed, you will be spinning around in the same circles for the rest of your life.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
So, in order for African-Americans to be perceived better, being good persons as individuals isn't enough?
It is the only thing that will bring about change and the only thing necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates