U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2009, 11:29 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,466,140 times
Reputation: 3869

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, pulleeze! Now racism relates to any tribal or national hatred? Jesus!
So... Because it doesn't fit with your closed-minded view of racism it simply doesn't count.

Wow. Interesting.


So yeah, go ahead and believe that racism didn't exist before the Middle Ages.

 
Old 07-25-2009, 12:20 PM
 
8,805 posts, read 9,626,228 times
Reputation: 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So... Because it doesn't fit with your closed-minded view of racism it simply doesn't count.

Wow. Interesting.


So yeah, go ahead and believe that racism didn't exist before the Middle Ages.
You would think in the history of civilization that a race war would have been fought by now, but most wars are fought between people who look quite a bit alike, I think from the dawn on civilization man has place more scrutiny on class and culture; i.e, religion, language, and customs, geography, possessions, as a basis for discrimination. The truth today is just as true as it was over 1000 years ago , and that is to gamble your safety, security and your life on fellow purely by the way he looks is folly. It is a relatively modern concept to attribute behaviors to a person based solely on his looks. The ideal that two people people can have the same language, religion, culture and customs, and still can be different is rather odd isn't it ?
 
Old 07-25-2009, 12:25 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,466,140 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You would think in the history of civilization that a race war would have been fought by now, but most wars are fought between people who look quite a bit alike, I think from the dawn on civilization man has place more scrutiny on class and culture; i.e, religion, language, and customs, geography, possessions, as a basis for discrimination. The truth today is just as true as it was over 1000 years ago , and that is to gamble your safety, security and your life on fellow purely by the way he looks is folly. It is a relatively modern concept to attribute behaviors to a person based solely on his looks. The ideal that two people people can have the same language, religion, culture and customs, and still can be different is rather odd isn't it ?
Humanity has not changed over the eons. There has never been a shortage of reasons to discriminate, hate, wage war and oppress. It has been going on since the beginning of time.

All that has changed is how far we travel, and how rapidly. THAT is how people have begun to bump into people who are actually of other races.

But people haven't changed.
 
Old 07-25-2009, 01:28 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,062,067 times
Reputation: 14878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So... Because it doesn't fit with your closed-minded view of racism it simply doesn't count.

Wow. Interesting.


So yeah, go ahead and believe that racism didn't exist before the Middle Ages.
Words have distinct meanings otherwise intelligent conversation would be unintelligible and meaningless and your argument is rapidly descending into both.
 
Old 07-25-2009, 01:39 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,062,067 times
Reputation: 14878
Speaking of meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Humanity has not changed over the eons. There has never been a shortage of reasons to discriminate, hate, wage war and oppress. It has been going on since the beginning of time.
The discussion that was underway here, was not the origins of discrimination, hatred and oppression, but instead the origins of a particular form of discrimination, hatred and oppression, ie., racism. Your sophistic comment adds nothing to that conversation.
 
Old 07-25-2009, 01:47 PM
 
9,964 posts, read 11,818,682 times
Reputation: 13279
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I just would like some input as to why is there racism? We should be nice to others because we all are human beings... Any inputs?
I am white and want to be with my own kind.

I don't want blacks in my neighborhood anymore than blacks want me in their south side Chicago neighborhoods.

So?
 
Old 07-25-2009, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Bayou City
2,991 posts, read 4,470,571 times
Reputation: 2496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Racism will be around, as long as there are people. Its in our nature to want to be around people who are like us, be that in apperance, language, or various other things.

I mean, go to a play ground of 5 year olds. Someone is going to be singled out and picked on. They are usually the people that look different. Now its not always the black kid, or the asian kid, sometimes its the fat kid, but people like confomity, and for that fact, they exile others that don't look like them.
This is incorrect. Kids at that age aren't yet socialized to identify race. The most common and dangerous conclusion by many is that racism is somehow natural and innate.
 
Old 07-25-2009, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,462 posts, read 8,206,113 times
Reputation: 5491
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am white and want to be with my own kind.

I don't want blacks in my neighborhood anymore than blacks want me in their south side Chicago neighborhoods.

So?
Wow it seems that you are racist. There black people that have high income, not all blacks look for trouble...
 
Old 07-25-2009, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Reputation: 35869
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am white and want to be with my own kind.

I don't want blacks in my neighborhood anymore than blacks want me in their south side Chicago neighborhoods.

So?
That is not an unrealistic point.

Survival within your community and your culture depends to a great extent on trust and understanding. A cultural group has developed, over a long period of time, markers to enable people to trust and understand each other. Things like body language and expectations of privacy and reciprocation formalities.

One can more easily trust and understand a neighbor if there is a high level of uniformity among those kinds of socializations. When people from cultures that differ (even slightly) come into contact, the process of gaining trust and understanding is slower and less efficient. Misunderstandings arise, and can become exacerbated.

So, people naturally tend to gravitate so a societal neighborhood in which socialization is easier. This tendency is called, by some, "racism".
 
Old 07-25-2009, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,462 posts, read 8,206,113 times
Reputation: 5491
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
This is incorrect. Kids at that age aren't yet socialized to identify race. The most common and dangerous conclusion by many is that racism is somehow natural and innate.
Yeah I agree, racism occurs because of their parents. No child is going to be racist if they are not raised like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top