U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 02:08 PM

8,581 posts, read 8,924,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I just would like some input as to why is there racism? We should be nice to others because we all are human beings... Any inputs?
becuase there always has been and always will be people like Jesse Jackson.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:15 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,468,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
People also just generally feel more comfortable with those that are similar to them.
I keep hearing this over and over again in these types of discussions. "Similar" unfortunately to many is taken to imply solely (or at least primarily) racial similarity, which is the driving force behind racial exclusion.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:22 PM

2,776 posts, read 6,965,362 times
Racism as we know it in modern day America is the remnant of a conceptual tool used by our slave owning/trading ruling class ancestors to maintain a hold on a cheap labor source. Variants of this concept also kept immigrating Asians in oppressive manual work and enabled the taking of valuable land from Native Americans and settled Spanish/Mexican colonists.
All around the globe, throughout human history you can probably trace all tribal, racial, cultural conflicts to competition for land and resources. When immense land resources require more bodies for labor, then, the cheaper the better. When there is enough for all, there are few if any conflicts.
People have always recognized differences but the commonality of food, sex, and riches have generally brought them together when there are no scarcities. Think Song of Solomon, think Othello. War has a way of breaking barriers when the threat is shared as well. Our ancestors had no problem recognizing and relishing differences when it was convenient.
Racism is an invention used to justify the oppression of others for servile labor or the usurpation of their land, goods, and /or resources.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:28 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,468,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Racism is based on a large percentage of a ethnic group having negative traits that people of other races feel are negative. For example, I am racist against black people because I see that out of a hundred blacks picked at random a much higher number of them have behaviors that I find offensive. Does this mean that I am not going to hire a black man or befriend one? No necessarily, but I will have the fact that I had such a negative perception of so many people who share their culture and skin color, in the back of my mind.

I look at statistics and come up with general conclusions. If I see a black man who appears to come from a disadvantaged back ground and looks like a gangster I will assume (maybe incorrectly) that he is not a good person.

So my racism is based on what I have experienced with other people who look and act alike.
So in other words, that you choose to be racist toward a particular individual who happens to be a member of a group you have chosen to generalize is ultimately not your responsibility, but that of the individual against whom you have decided to be racist.

You do realize that this is no different than a black person choosing not to succeed by externalizing his responsibility for self-improvement on white racism, do you not? All this attempt at "rationalizing" your racism only tells me that you're just as adept at playing the "blame game" regarding your own faults.

Last edited by MrSykes; 07-25-2009 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-25-2009, 02:33 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
So in other words, that you choose to be racist toward a particular individual who happens to be a member of a group you have chosen to generalize is ultimately not your responsibility, but that of the individual to whom you decide to be racist against.
s.
No He means that he would rather not live in a neighborhood that has a high density of people who, based on his previous experience, can be predicted to more often have sociological characteristics that he considers negative.

He means he doesn't prefer to live in a neighborhood where he can predict a more frequent exposure to cars with rims cruising by slow with refrigerator-sized speakers blaring songs full of F-bombs. So, that's how you define racist. OK.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-25-2009 at 02:42 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 02:40 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Speaking of meaningless.

The discussion that was underway here, was not the origins of discrimination, hatred and oppression, but instead the origins of a particular form of discrimination, hatred and oppression, ie., racism. Your sophistic comment adds nothing to that conversation.
...and your condescending arrogance doesn't either.

It was racism. They just didn't call it that. Is that better?

Old 07-25-2009, 03:19 PM

16,688 posts, read 39,312,378 times
As I was growing up my family moved around a lot, my father was a journeyman electrician who had jobs all over the state. If he was going to be at one for an extended period of time we would move to that area for awhile. Always coming back to our "home town" otherwise. All this moving exposed me to a variety of cultural prejudices, each area seemed to have its own. By the time I was in high school it was obvious to me that human beings have an unfortunate need to try and convince themselves that they are superior in some way. Typically this manifest it self in prejudices against whatever groups were in the minority. As the new family in town we were almost always in at least that minority and always had to prove ourselves whenever we moved to a new location.

My home town was mostly mormon, so us Lutheran's and members of other religious groups were looked down on. Many of them would to go to another town to find a Mormon electrician before giving my dad work. All the whites of course looked down on the migrant mexican farm laborers that they relied on to tend their crops in the summer. In another town near the indian reservation most of the whites looked down on the indians, especially the ranch kids. The townies looked down on the farm and ranch kids. In another town which was mostly Catholic, they looked down on everyone who wasn't.

This seems to be a basic human weakness, the need consider one's self and peer group as better then "those other people". It is probably a trait leftover from "tribal" days when each village pretty much had to defend itself from outsiders, "outcasts". Hopefully it is a trait that we are in the process of overcoming as globalization makes us realize that we really all belong to the same village.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:22 PM

8,792 posts, read 9,620,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am white and want to be with my own kind.

I don't want blacks in my neighborhood anymore than blacks want me in their south side Chicago neighborhoods.

So?
How do you know which whites are your kind?

Old 07-25-2009, 06:18 PM

943 posts, read 2,706,706 times
Isn't there anyone who will break away from the politically correct responses and tell us you are racist and explain why. This is an Internet message board, we do not know you, be honest and stop the political correctness.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:31 PM

843 posts, read 1,104,852 times
Racism exists because people are flawed, and greedy and seek power and control. Its an easy method to either garner unwarranted alliance with people who would otherwise disagree with you, by claiming commonality via 'race'. Likewise, it helps people attain an inflated ego, or personal opinion of themselves.

Example - I may be jobless and on parole, but at least Im not a _____. Those people deserve what they get, and are natural criminals. Im just a victim of circumstances.

Its also a good way to keep the 'plebs' of a nation in conflict with each other so as they are less attentive to those above them pulling the strings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates