Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 04:45 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times

Advertisements

I just would like some input as to why is there racism? We should be nice to others because we all are human beings... Any inputs?

Old 07-23-2009, 04:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
lack of employment people that work dont have time for it.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Because thie are races and they tend to stick together aginst other groups 'same has nationalities. They find other strange if their culture and waht they consider civilised behaviour is different. There are even now genration groups.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:00 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
It's a mental disorder...

Old 07-23-2009, 07:05 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I just would like some input as to why is there racism? We should be nice to others because we all are human beings... Any inputs?
Have you studied any world history at all? It's hard to sum up what I think of this question with just one long post, but let me give it a try...

Historically, geography and a lack of easy transportation options kept groups of humans to staying in one area for long periods of time, if not their entire lives. So there they were stuck in their villages or their continent. The difference races developed with each one having distinctively different skin and hair colours or other physical attributes. In addition, different cultures with their unique traditions, histories and languages also evolved. So for thousands of years, each race was fairly isolated in the areas they settled in. Then little by little, the different racial and cultural groups interacted. Maybe some tribes traveled to follow the various migrating herds of animals that they hunted and fed upon. Other groups with a more agricultural leaning, stayed put in their areas. As humans go more sophisticated and learned to domesticate and travel more efficiently on horses, camels and the ilk, and some developing water travel by boat, the different groups of humans ended up interacting more. But most still kept to themselves in terms of who they closely associated with and raised families with. Just like many other animals, what's familiar is what most people were comfortable with and trusted. So if another person looked like you, or had the same religious beliefs, shared the same traditions and spoke the same language, it was easy to form friendship bonds. If another tribe was close enough in shared traits, they might form a friendship alliance through intermarriage. Blood bonds were the strongest alliances. And of the groups of people that looked very different physically, spoke a different language or had traditions, moral values or believed in different gods, then those people were viewed with suspicion and hard to trust. And conflicts and battles were probably only sparked when food and water resources were limited, so needed for the sake of the survival of the dominant tribe.

Anyway, that's my take on ancient human civilizations in a nutshell. Flash forward to today as we now have mixes of different races and nationalities in many countries, especially the younger ones like the US and Australia. The UK has a lot of cultural diversity compared to other European countries due to their past colonizations of several other countries. Otherwise, some countries like Russia, China, India and most of the African continent are each primarily consisting of one particular race. But all groups are having contact with each other thanks to motorized transportation and airplanes. And some groups of people emigrated to other countries due to slavery, some terrible event in their home country or better life opportunites in their new country.

Current clashes of race I believe are more do to certain cultures having such different life priorities and moral values. Some of these cultures traditional are very conservative in behaviour and they aren't comfortable and even offended if forced to mingle with cultures that seem more boisterous and less moral than theirs. Or have different family structures, or different life goals and what values and traits they respect.

In a nutshell, people are naturally suspicious of anyone that is very different from them. Secondly the other group might have religious beliefs or a lifestyle that goes against everything they believe in or do. Humans are naturally competitive for the good resources and land. And if there is a conflict to lessen the competition for precious resources, the strongest common denominator of any alliance is first if they have a blood bond or shared genetic physical traits (this is where race factors in), or maybe the same religion or language. The more commonalities, the better the alliance bond. Having nothing in common except being another humanoid does not make for good chances of having an alliance or friendship... well unless there is a common enemy where working together is in the best interests of all.

I'm sure that I've left out some important aspects, but this should give you some idea of why there is friction between races and cultures. But I'm tired of writing this post.

I don't know how you find or choose who you consider to be your best friend and buddy, but for me, I click the best with people that grew up the same way I did, have the same moral values, common interests and activities (so we like to do the same things for fun), similar life goals and who are college educated and enjoy learning about geeky things. My boyfriend and I had one casual friend that we kicked out of our lives for drinking too much and doing stupid things. He was just an accident waiting to happen. And he wasn't ready to grow up and curtail his drinking either. sadly, I think that he was rather pleased with his life.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:39 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Have you studied any world history at all? It's hard to sum up what I think of this question with just one long post, but let me give it a try...

Historically, geography and a lack of easy transportation options kept groups of humans to staying in one area for long periods of time, if not their entire lives. So there they were stuck in their villages or their continent. The difference races developed with each one having distinctively different skin and hair colours or other physical attributes. In addition, different cultures with their unique traditions, histories and languages also evolved. So for thousands of years, each race was fairly isolated in the areas they settled in. Then little by little, the different racial and cultural groups interacted. Maybe some tribes traveled to follow the various migrating herds of animals that they hunted and fed upon. Other groups with a more agricultural leaning, stayed put in their areas. As humans go more sophisticated and learned to domesticate and travel more efficiently on horses, camels and the ilk, and some developing water travel by boat, the different groups of humans ended up interacting more. But most still kept to themselves in terms of who they closely associated with and raised families with. Just like many other animals, what's familiar is what most people were comfortable with and trusted. So if another person looked like you, or had the same religious beliefs, shared the same traditions and spoke the same language, it was easy to form friendship bonds. If another tribe was close enough in shared traits, they might form a friendship alliance through intermarriage. Blood bonds were the strongest alliances. And of the groups of people that looked very different physically, spoke a different language or had traditions, moral values or believed in different gods, then those people were viewed with suspicion and hard to trust. And conflicts and battles were probably only sparked when food and water resources were limited, so needed for the sake of the survival of the dominant tribe.

Anyway, that's my take on ancient human civilizations in a nutshell. Flash forward to today as we now have mixes of different races and nationalities in many countries, especially the younger ones like the US and Australia. The UK has a lot of cultural diversity compared to other European countries due to their past colonizations of several other countries. Otherwise, some countries like Russia, China, India and most of the African continent are each primarily consisting of one particular race. But all groups are having contact with each other thanks to motorized transportation and airplanes. And some groups of people emigrated to other countries due to slavery, some terrible event in their home country or better life opportunites in their new country.

Current clashes of race I believe are more do to certain cultures having such different life priorities and moral values. Some of these cultures traditional are very conservative in behaviour and they aren't comfortable and even offended if forced to mingle with cultures that seem more boisterous and less moral than theirs. Or have different family structures, or different life goals and what values and traits they respect.

In a nutshell, people are naturally suspicious of anyone that is very different from them. Secondly the other group might have religious beliefs or a lifestyle that goes against everything they believe in or do. Humans are naturally competitive for the good resources and land. And if there is a conflict to lessen the competition for precious resources, the strongest common denominator of any alliance is first if they have a blood bond or shared genetic physical traits (this is where race factors in), or maybe the same religion or language. The more commonalities, the better the alliance bond. Having nothing in common except being another humanoid does not make for good chances of having an alliance or friendship... well unless there is a common enemy where working together is in the best interests of all.

I'm sure that I've left out some important aspects, but this should give you some idea of why there is friction between races and cultures. But I'm tired of writing this post.

I don't know how you find or choose who you consider to be your best friend and buddy, but for me, I click the best with people that grew up the same way I did, have the same moral values, common interests and activities (so we like to do the same things for fun), similar life goals and who are college educated and enjoy learning about geeky things. My boyfriend and I had one casual friend that we kicked out of our lives for drinking too much and doing stupid things. He was just an accident waiting to happen. And he wasn't ready to grow up and curtail his drinking either. sadly, I think that he was rather pleased with his life.

Yeah you defenitely wrote a lot! LOL but thanks so much hehe.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:48 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It's a mental disorder...

I totally agree!!

It's mostly in small towns too, these days. Like the town I live in, the people here act like they never seen a black person or Asian person before! But they don't mind the Mexican, Hispanic, and Native Americans. It's a racist town against blacks and Asians.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:28 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Racism will be around, as long as there are people. Its in our nature to want to be around people who are like us, be that in apperance, language, or various other things.

I mean, go to a play ground of 5 year olds. Someone is going to be singled out and picked on. They are usually the people that look different. Now its not always the black kid, or the asian kid, sometimes its the fat kid, but people like confomity, and for that fact, they exile others that don't look like them.

Now, if you're looking for the roots of the white on black racism in this country, look to the plantation owners in the 17th and 18th centuries. The trouble in Virginia in the colonization days was that, in many places, blacks actually outnumbered whites. They wanted us to be afraid of the blacks, that way we support slavery, and the community would join together to keep them inline. They wanted the blacks to be afraid of the whites, so they didn't stand up and fight them.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:41 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
Yea, I feel like it's a generation thing, 'product of your time.' People are always complaining the world is getting worse, I think we're moving forward in a lot of areas! I don't really take it too seriously until people start getting violent. Like, you're the one that looks stupid preaching superiority based on something like race or sex, as if that's something you've accomplished. Maybe that has something to do with it? Needing to make up for lack of accomplishments? Do you think it's wrong to notice positive generalizations about groups of people based on their nationality? I do that some times but I guess that could be a stereotype, I don't think it's hurting anyone, we do it in other areas all the time...age wise, handedness, sex, etc...

Old 07-24-2009, 06:50 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
I totally agree!!

It's mostly in small towns too, these days. Like the town I live in, the people here act like they never seen a black person or Asian person before! But they don't mind the Mexican, Hispanic, and Native Americans. It's a racist town against blacks and Asians.
It's not just a small-town thing. A person can live deep in an ethnic neighborhood of a big city, and never really rub shoulders with anyone of a different color.

I think that racism is mostly driven by insecurity. It's an insecurity that has us needing to feel better about ourselves. An insecurity that drives us to be suspicious of others, and to fear that they are going to take something away from us.

I've got some relatives who are (more or less) semi-pro local musicians. They are some of the most petty, critical and derogatory people I know. They're always criticizing other musicians, running artists into the ground, etc. It's ridiculous, partly because they think it's making them look cool but it is really making them look like idiots.

A lot of people do the same thing on racial matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates