Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:53 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Remember the "Dark Ages"? It was the Muslims who brought "The Western World" out of that.

From the fall of Rome to the Renaissance, it was the Arabs who kept their wits about them, and retained knowledge of mathematics and engineering and medicine and literature, so the Christians could re-learn it from them.

education :: European Renaissance and Reformation -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

Spain is in Europe. Spain did not bring electricity to the world. I'm not making the connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post

Spain is in Europe. Spain did not bring electricity to the world. I'm not making the connection.
You don't need to. I already did.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
You don't need to. I already did.
How so?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
How so?
What does Spain and electricity have to do with it? I didn't bother to make that connection, because I didn't think there was one. So I'm not surprised that you didn't make that connection either. But I made the relevant connection.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
What does Spain and electricity have to do with it? I didn't bother to make that connection, because I didn't think there was one. So I'm not surprised that you didn't make that connection either. But I made the relevant connection.
Had you not read your own link? The article references SPAIN, which is a Western European country. Still, it makes no sense to go from that country's library system to the "discovery" of electricity. If muslims were in charge of the world, we would all still be in the dark, using candles, and riding camels.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Had you not read your own link? The article references SPAIN, which is a Western European country. Still, it makes no sense to go from that country's library system to the "discovery" of electricity. If muslims were in charge of the world, we would all still be in the dark, using candles, and riding camels.
Educated and enlightened people used to call Western Europeans "barbarians" and "vandals". Teutons and Gauls didn't even have a written language, a mere 20 centuries ago. Remember? That was before Western Europe "stole" eastern ideas about civilization. If Western Europeans were in charge of the world, we'd still be painting ourselves blue and assembling at Stonehenge.

The first known prototype of a galvanic battery is in a Babylonian museum.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:35 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Every time we travel the world we are shocked when we see how people live in third world countries. Even though these countries are called developing countries, I see very little development and if anything things are getting worse. You could blame it on a variety of things but I have to think much of it is a cultural and intellectual issue. The people in general are not to smart and do not have the intelligence, drive or creativity to improve the life of their country.

If a magic drug could be found and it raised the IQ of everyone in the country 40% wouldn't they start to prosper?

South Korea and Singapore went from complete poverty after the war to prosperity due to the intelligence of their people.
Given the disparity of wealth in this country could you say the same for states?

Old 07-26-2009, 05:44 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler
If these folks are so happy in their life in the third world hell hole then the United States can stop sending them billions through the foreign aide and the world bank. OK.

Our billions of foreign aid mostly goes to their dictator to keep his secret police up to date, so they can tortuire anybody who objects to the terms under which the World Bank LENDS them money at high interest rates. US aid that is not police/military is tied to agreements to buy US-exported products from corporate profiteers.

I've lived in "hell-holes" like Jordan, Indonesia and Paraguay, where I rented little houses on ordinary streets in ordinary towns with ordinary neighbors who have never seen a penny of our foreign aid. Please tell me what it is that I missed, so I can readjust my recollections of life there to conform with your official version.
Thats what I was going to say! You beat me to it!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:48 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Every time we travel the world we are shocked when we see how people live in third world countries. Even though these countries are called developing countries, I see very little development and if anything things are getting worse. You could blame it on a variety of things but I have to think much of it is a cultural and intellectual issue. The people in general are not to smart and do not have the intelligence, drive or creativity to improve the life of their country.

If a magic drug could be found and it raised the IQ of everyone in the country 40% wouldn't they start to prosper?

South Korea and Singapore went from complete poverty after the war to prosperity due to the intelligence of their people.
I really don't know that this is a question that can actually be answered with any sincerity or certainty. IQ is such an imperfect measure of intelligence anyway. And besides, what you are talking about are people who are not necessarily less intelligent than others, they just haven't been afforded the same opportunities as those in the advanced nations. I mean, just because a South American native can't quote "The Raven" for me does not mean he is stupid. It means he's never been given a copy of "The Raven" But then that same man may take me into the jungle and teach me how to survive on the native vegetation and stay away from dangerous animals and poisonous vegetation. Maybe even school me on some ancient art that has fallen into obscurity over the ages. His intelligence would certainly rival my own, we just have different knowledge bases.

There is no way to know what wonders these people may be capable of in a more advanced society. And perhaps they are truly the blessed ones to have been left on the wayside of advancement. I have been reading Henry David Thoreau recently, and this was a truly intelligent human being. But he lived simply, and loved nature, and lived as one might in a third world country. He lived that way because he believed our way of life was corrupt and doomed to fail. He is one of the greatest writers our country has ever known. And he would have fit in better with a tribe of wild Indians.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:23 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
I think that those that look down at the disadvantaged and believe it is because of lower intelligent are really the ones lacking intelligence.

They have less education, and that is part of their disadvantage, but in no way means they are less intelligent or resourceful. Could you survive if you had all their disadvantages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates