U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:46 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,280,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
I went early to pick up my dog, before they had a chance to clean him up---His condition and the way he looked at me stays with me today. I was wrong.

I would definetely not recommend that vet. It is hard to find a good one. They are few and far between. I have had several animals in my life. The worst is when you pick them up from being spayed/neutered (especially cats) and you know they are in pain. I brought one of my cats to the vet and except for the teeny tiny scar you would never know she just had an operation.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:58 PM

511 posts, read 1,916,257 times
I don't see a problem with tail docking. Personally I like a dog with a big fluffy waggy tail, but some breeds and individual dogs are better off without their tails. Cattle dogs, security dogs, ect. Even if it's just for cosmetic reasons to please the owner or meet the breed standard. To clarify on that note, I am not talking about amputating a grown dog's tail for cosmetic reasons, but docking at 2-5 days old. Amputation I think should only be done for medical reasons.
Ear croping- that I'm not so sure about. I'd have to do a lot more reading on the subject before making up my mind one way or the other.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,087 times
The human society will want you to believe that ear cropping is not humane. But its not if it's done by a vet. So call your state representative this is big brother telling us one more thing we can't do. Some dogs need it bad or the dog looks so stupid it's sad. Funny to drive a car in PA. I have to wear a seat belt but to drive a motor cycle I don't need a halmet. Human society needs to back off.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:52 AM

19,081 posts, read 21,258,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1112 View Post
The human society will want you to believe that ear cropping is not humane. But its not if it's done by a vet. So call your state representative this is big brother telling us one more thing we can't do. Some dogs need it bad or the dog looks so stupid it's sad. Funny to drive a car in PA. I have to wear a seat belt but to drive a motor cycle I don't need a halmet. Human society needs to back off.
Looks stupid according to who?

Old 01-16-2010, 12:02 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,613,054 times
You know..I used to think it was cruel until my dog had to have lesions removed from her tail from what they call Happy Tail Syndrome.

Basically whenever either I or my husband would come home she would wag her tail so furiously and beat it against anything that happened to be in her way that she developed sores on her tail that would invariably burst open and spray blood everywhere.

It was terrible! And I couldn't stop her from constantly licking it and the pattern repeating itself.

Finally they cut the sores off and stitched them together. It had to be restitched once cuz she pulled the stitches out.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,042 times
I have a weimaraner their ears are similar to the great dane, and I wouldn't like to think of how he would look if he had pointed ears. He does have a docked tail, however I told the breeder that he would have looked better with it. the breeder stated that he was stuck with the last lot of pups he bred with tails, but did agree that it was not nessesary and would prefer not to. Why do people want animals as a status symbol and not for the joy that they bring? what happens when the op goes wrong do you get rid and try another, or does it end up in a abandoned dog home?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:29 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,258,872 times
As mentioned previously, my poor min pin doesn't have a tail. She shakes her nub vigorously, tho. Poor baby.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 PM

530 posts, read 665,329 times
IMHO docking and cropping should be up to each individual owner. If you like the look go for it if not leave it alone. I have worked in a vet clinic and assisted in cropping surgeries the dogs with cropped ears did not seem to be in pain when the anesthesia wore off, but the risk of infection is there, as with all surgeries. De-clawing cats I think has the potential to be cruel people brought kittens in to be declawed to save their funiture and kids from cat scratch fever, but if this is done these cats should be strictly inside because w/o their claws they have no way to fight back against an attack from other animals, can't climb trees for escape, and can rarely catch prey if left to permanantly fend for themselves outside.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:27 PM

335 posts, read 1,105,624 times
I think it is done a vast majority of the time for aesthetic reasons. I think it is sad that humans feel the need to alter an animal like that from its natural state. But, we do it to ourselves also, all in the name of vanity.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:09 PM

519 posts, read 894,049 times
I've only read through half the responeses... pretty divided bunch really.

In Australia (where I happen to live) it is illegal to do the ears, tail and toes (you know the extra toe?)

The RSPCA campaigned government for the laws and got them.

So I stopped donating to the RSPCA.

In my family of origin we once had a rotty, he was born to a breeder and then sold to us.
The breeder docked his tail and cut the extra toe off before sale.

I didn't care at the time, and didn't know the difference.

Then I moved in with my sister who also had a big dog - with a full tail and extra toe on each leg.

Man - that tail! It used to cause havok inside the house - she would wag furiously and knock everything, especially things on the coffee table to the ground.

We had to keep her tail away from the fish tank.

Heaven help you if you stood too close and she got you in the shins. It used to bruise me and it hurt like hell.

I don't give a stuff about ears - I think altered ears make a dog look ugly - but that's just a personal opinion...

The extra toe only bothers the dog - I assume it gets bent back quite a bit - because it really sticks out there.

But tails undocked tails make it much much harder for a person who likes and is comitted to loving a big dog to allow it to live in a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or